SiouxSports.com Forum

OL Changes

geaux_sioux

We've all noticed the struggles of our OL. It's bad. Really bad. To start last year it was also bad until Meehan slid in to guard where he became an All American and Grady started at RT. @RD17 made a great point about how Coe had a great block when he was out at RT.  It's pretty clear that the OL needs to be shuffled. Coe is a beast, slide him out to RT and maybe we get set an edge for once. Is Rooney ready for center? If not throw Aplin or Cox in there since they have experience. I still don't think Taylor is getting the job done and think Aplin is an upgrade. At the very least Aplin will put his hands on somebody every single play. Taylor has been whiff city this year and the result is our backs basically have to do their best Houdini impression every play. I hope the coaches noticed that when Cox wasn't at RT the line played better.

58 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i was gonna ask who the five were out there on the big brady run.....

lt-aj

lg-bell?

center-rooney?

rg-taylor?

rt-coe

Sounds about right. The left side of the line seemed to come alive last game. That's a good sign because Bell has not had a good season even though he is supremely talented.

22 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

We've all noticed the struggles of our OL. It's bad. Really bad. To start last year it was also bad until Meehan slid in to guard where he became an All American and Grady started at RT. @RD17 made a great point about how Coe had a great block when he was out at RT.  It's pretty clear that the OL needs to be shuffled. Coe is a beast, slide him out to RT and maybe we get set an edge for once. Is Rooney ready for center? If not throw Aplin or Cox in there since they have experience. I still don't think Taylor is getting the job done and think Aplin is an upgrade. At the very least Aplin will put his hands on somebody every single play. Taylor has been whiff city this year and the result is our backs basically have to do their best Houdini impression every play. I hope the coaches noticed that when Cox wasn't at RT the line played better.

I question whether Taylor has the footwork to be a real good offensive lineman at this level. However, he is still young and it's possible he will improve. Like you said, it's just alarming the way he completely whiffs on some blocking assignments.The good news is that Bell played better last week so there is no longer glaring holes at both guard positions. The thing is the way the line is currently configured the pass pro seems better than the run blocking but throwing the ball isn't what UND is built to do. I agree that a shakeup is probably in order at this point because things just aren't meshing.

Watch the first TD from Oliveria on Saturday. Taylor pulls and completely misses his guy. Luckily it was a short run to the end zone. I think he needs a lot more work on his run blocking. Doesn't anticipate very well. Anybody else see Stockwell give a forearm smash to the head of a down defensive lineman. I saw it a couple time last year too. He is down right cheap some times. On day will cost us.

Just now, Tangolou said:

Watch the first TD from Oliveria on Saturday. Taylor pulls and completely misses his guy. Luckily it was a short run to the end zone. I think he needs a lot more work on his run blocking. Doesn't anticipate very well. Anybody else see Stockwell give a forearm smash to the head of a down defensive lineman. I saw it a couple time last year too. He is down right cheap some times. On day will cost us.

He did cost us 7 points with a retaliation penalty in the first half.

10 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

I saw the one that was missed as well.  Couldn't believe the refs missed it.  Saw it live and on the replay.  Just another example of the types of mistakes that Bubba needs to control of.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, petey23 said:

He did cost us 7 points with a retaliation penalty in the first half.

Just re-watched the game today. That was an absolutely terrible call. Guy had ahold of Stockwell's facemask so Stockwell shook him off. But yes, he did get away with a couple forearm smashes on other plays. 

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Just re-watched the game today. That was an absolutely terrible call. Guy had ahold of Stockwell's facemask so Stockwell shook him off. But yes, he did get away with a couple forearm smashes on other plays. 

#41 had a handful of face mask all day.  One took off stockwells helmet