Top 5 Incoming FR

geaux_sioux

I'd go with:

Cloyd

Toivonen

Holm

Canady

Helgren/Nguon

Had a little trouble with this, as the LB candidates have potential, but we seem to have some pretty good depth there.  Seems like OL and DB are the two areas that freshmen could make the most impact (with Toivonen getting thrown in there, as I've heard he's grown an inch or two and could be the biggest steal of this class).

• Upvote 1

If I read the title correct, it's the top incoming freshman:

1. Torrey hunt: very special player with the athletic ability to be dominant at this level.    Could very well start opposite of Deion.  He is guaranteed to play next year.  

2.  Holm:  I could see his shirt being pulled and playing significant minutes.  He has been dedicated to und from day 1.   

3. Randolph:  crazy athletic and could be the steal of the class.  I would love to see him as a qb more then a db however.   

4.  Nguyen : what the coaches have said about him have me excited and I trust the coaches word. 

5. Cloyd:  has the size and power already and will only get bigger, faster and stronger.  Great competitor also.   

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Pretty awesome that there are so many pre-season nominations for steal of the class!

Question is, who is it going to be or if there will be one at all.  IMO a "steal" is a late commit as where an earlier commit is a "target " of the coaching staff.  I have Randolph tagged with a "steal" being he was a very late addition.  Evan holm is not a steal or like Grady or santiago were not "steals" the year before being the coaches were offering immediately.  Nguan could be another one this year.   

Damnit I'm getting ramped up for football season !!!!    

21 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Question is, who is it going to be or if there will be one at all.  IMO a "steal" is a late commit as where an earlier commit is a "target " of the coaching staff.  I have Randolph tagged with a "steal" being he was a very late addition.  Evan holm is not a steal or like Grady or santiago were not "steals" the year before being the coaches were offering immediately.  Nguan could be another one this year.   

Damnit I'm getting ramped up for football season !!!!    

I'd call Santiago and Grady steals for sure. Grady is and FBS talent for sure and we got an All American RB without much competition.

46 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'd call Santiago and Grady steals for sure. Grady is and FBS talent for sure and we got an All American RB without much competition.

I guess it would be how you define "steal".  Just because they came to und doesn't mean they are a steal.   Grady has nfl talent and the coaches were on him like flies on sh@#!   That's why he was our first recruit that year.  Santiago was our 3rd commit.  The coaches  obviously knew their talent level and were targeting them from the get go.   To me that doesn't warrant "steal". Offering a kid a full scholarship doesn't warrant a "steal".   Offers or not, those two ooze talent and a big congrats to the coaching staff for finding these athletes.   A lot of time and effort was put into recruiting them and it paid off.  

Regardless if they are a steal or not, Bubba has been able to recruit the talent needed to make some noise.  Sept 1st can't come fast enough. 

I'm cautious about labeling kids in July. This time last year, many thought Iwarri was coming in to be That Dude... All I'm saying let's hope for positive results and let the process play out before we start crowning kids. No one saw Santiago becoming an All American at RB in July. 

16 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

I'm cautious about labeling kids in July. This time last year, many thought Iwarri was coming in to be That Dude... All I'm saying let's hope for positive results and let the process play out before we start crowning kids. No one saw Santiago becoming an All American at RB in July. 

But everyone had Santiago pegged to get his RS pulled and contribute immediately. His hs film was amazing.

20 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Buzzkill!  ;)  c'mon let's gave some fun!  Nobody is crowning anyone, just meaningless message board speculation. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

But everyone had Santiago pegged to get his RS pulled and contribute immediately. His hs film was amazing.

No doubt Carter and Santiago let it be known early that their shirts would be pulled. Not dissing the incoming freshmen class. Sometimes we get a little head of ourselves with many factors to consider. The incoming class looks strong and promises to raise the bar.  Just saying Santiago was a projected WR not to be an all world running back. That was a pleasant surprise!

Speaking of 2016 QB recruits. Anyone know if Dalton Feeney is still going to Missouri for baseball with the  coaching change there? 

Bubba might want to make a call there to double check just incase he might still want to give football a try. His dad played for UND.

• Upvote 1

On 7/8/2016 at 9:43 AM, Longtime fan said:

3. Randolph:  crazy athletic and could be the steal of the class.  I would love to see him as a qb more then a db however.   

The more I think about it, the more I think UND needs to have very good athletes play QB in Rudolph's system. For example, consider last season's drop in production from Studsrud to Bartels. Rudolph's system has several QB run options, so with that, I hope Randolph gets at least a look at QB. This may be more likely if UND secures a pending FBS cornerback transfer to add to the CB position and take the sting out of losing the Colorado transfer to Montana State. 

19 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The more I think about it, the more I think UND needs to have very good athletes play QB in Rudolph's system. For example, consider last season's drop in production from Studsrud to Bartels. Rudolph's system has several QB run options, so with that, I hope Randolph gets at least a look at QB. This may be more likely if UND secures a pending FBS cornerback transfer to add to the CB position and take the sting out of losing the Colorado transfer to Montana State. 

Any names floating around out there for FBS transfers?

36 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

My feelings as well.   Plus his hudl tape seems to showcase his comfort on offense.  

On the cb front......I hope what I've heard is not true and simply is a rumor.  But if indeed it is, we will need cbs very desperately.  We might need those freshman to grow up in a hurry, including Randolph.  

8 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

On the cb front......I hope what I've heard is not true and simply is a rumor.  But if indeed it is, we will need cbs very desperately.  We might need those freshman to grow up in a hurry, including Randolph.  

cz5kwlbvdmnba9u86djg.gif

• Upvote 1