SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Hawks use spotted in the wild

jimdahl

First time I've seen it used in a real story not about the name itself:

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2015/11/19/WVBALL_1119154505.aspx

Despite previously being 0-4 against the Fighting Hawks, Idaho had won its share of sets, and they got the all-important third set victory at the best time. Thursday's match marked the fourth time in five meetings that the teams have battled to five sets.

• Upvote 1

Clearly UND was strategic in implementing use of the nickname right away.   There's many of us who really have an aversion to this nickname, and implementing immediately helps minimize the ability for an after-the-fact movement to delay or block implementation.   I'd say that was a smart move from the administrations POV.

• Upvote 3

I hope they don't overdo it though.  They must know the vast majority of folks did not want this, and it kind of feels like rubbing our faces in it.

Didn't the vote last week show that over 50% voted for Fighting Hawks?  I'm no math major but I think that's a majority.  How vast can be debated.

I hope they don't overdo it though.  They must know the vast majority of folks did not want this, and it kind of feels like rubbing our faces in it.

I agree.  The vote has nothing to do with what people wanted.  When push comes to shove, yes people had to vote for one or the other, it still doesn't mean that that is what they wanted.  I'm not a "nickname fanatic" but this still feels like a bad dream.

• Upvote 1

Clearly UND was strategic in implementing use of the nickname right away.   There's many of us who really have an aversion to this nickname, and implementing immediately helps minimize the ability for an after-the-fact movement to delay or block implementation.   I'd say that was a smart move from the administrations POV.

I'm not sure that was deliberate, but it has that effect. A plan to start using a new name in a year would still seem like something that could be attacked or petitioned against. Fighting Hawks is UND's nickname right now. It'll be in articles and web sites which well help it work into social media which will help make it accepted.