SiouxSports.com Forum

Stadium speculation

Cratter

Peter Nygard is apparently a big deal in women's clothing manufacturing.  Not sure of his worth now, but a Forbes article from 2010 puts him at $877 million.  Not a very flattering article, unfortunately.  Seems like the kind of guy who would like to see his name on the side of a stadium though ;)

• Upvote 2

Peter Nygard is apparently a big deal in women's clothing manufacturing.  Not sure of his worth now, but a Forbes article from 2010 puts him at $877 million.  Not a very flattering article, unfortunately.  Seems like the kind of guy who would like to see his name on the side of a stadium though ;)

Dave Fennel, a Canadian, former UND football player, and Edmonton Eskimo, founded a couple of gold mining companies and also had his own island in the Caribbean like Nygard.  He just resigned from some gold mining companies boards.

Dont know if he is a billionaire, but he's close to Nygard in net worth.  One son played for Mich St and another was a Canadian luge Olympian.

His name has been bandied about for years as a possible benefactor for UND football.  Any FBS hopes might ride on him.  Don't think he'd be satisfied with FCS.  Nygard would be a total shock, but Fennell not so much.

Edited by SiouxVolley

Would be pretty cool to see a nice, "Ralph" caliber, football stadium on campus.

Although I'm not holding my breath yet, it would be beyond cool; it would be a tremendous game-changer. UND football would be put in a position like Montana and NDSU pretty quickly if they had a top-notch on-campus stadium, along with a winning on-field product of course. The facility aspect of UND football is the only thing holding them back, especially with FCOA now in effect for next season.

Nevertheless, HPC Phase II is the most likely "next step" in terms of facility upgrades for UND football. 

Although I'm not holding my breath yet, it would be beyond cool; it would be a tremendous game-changer. UND football would be put in a position like Montana and NDSU pretty quickly if they had a top-notch on-campus stadium, along with a winning on-field product of course. The facility aspect of UND football is the only thing holding them back, especially with FCOA now in effect for next season.

Nevertheless, HPC Phase II is the most likely "next step" in terms of facility upgrades for UND football. 

Facilities are great, and I think a new on campus stadium would due huge things for the program. But winning is key. Keep winning, and get back the the annual contender we were in the D2 days and the fans will come.

I know its easy to talk when its not your money, but I have to think if I had hundreds of millions of dollars I would make a donation like that. Not just for a sweet new stadium, but also for a new business school. It would be pretty cool to make a big investment that could impact so many people.

• Upvote 1

What's strange is that the deign of a new business school was released years ago, but still no signs of it being built.  B. John Barry can afford alot of giving now, as he is officially a philantropist.  NDSU got a couple million for their new Barry Hall dowtown, so imagine that Barry would lavish more on UND.  Maybe I'm not the only one that doesn't care for Kelley and prefer to wait to give any gift.  Drew Wrigley probably knows some things are coming down, otherwise he wouldn't express interest.

What would a person do with big empty buildings like Gamble and the old Med School?  NDSU would kill to have excess buildings in good shape, as half their campus is just crumbling.  Hagerott put ol' kibosh on Bresciani's plans to add 4000 students because there exists excess building/classroom capacity elsewhere.  Bisonville is in an uproar over it, but those stingy bizon alumns just need to pay for a couple of new buildings, and then Hager otter wouldn't have to go to the legislature.

B. John Berry was co-chair of the Spirit Campaign. I'm not sure how much his name is officially on in there. 

PT/OT department is taking over the old St. Michael's Hospital Med School building is what I was told. A new business school build would go on the site where Strinden Center is today (NE across University from Gamble). 

Edited by The Sicatoka

B. John Berry was co-chair of the Spirit Campaign. I'm not sure how much his name is officially on in there. 

PT/OT department is taking over the old St. Michael's Hospital Med School building is what I was told. A new business school build would go on the site where Strinden Center is today (NE across University from Gamble). 

Been in the business building a couple ttimes the last month or so, seems like an adequate building. What's the problem with the current one?

Seems like that would  be too much space for PT/OT.  Could see something like biochemistry, anatomy and other related medical sciences moving there too.  Maybe moving NDSU's pharmacy school there would  be an option.  That way the legislature doesn't have to spend money that NDSU alumns don't raise themselves,  as that pharmacy school's facilities are jammed into an outhouse.

Edited by SiouxVolley

Been in the business building a couple ttimes the last month or so, seems like an adequate building. What's the problem with the current one?

Out dated, was adequate in the 90's but not for the demands of these new 18-22 year olds. ;) 

Seriously though, they are currently in the middle of a 2 year feasibility study, much of which is centered around building a large addition and remodel to the existing building. The most likely  scenario is the old alumni house is moved and Gamble takes up that footprint and more. Part of the feasibility study is figuring out costs and how to pay for the possible $75 million remodel and addition. 

A possibility, but nothing has been finalized as the campus space utilization study and facility condition assessments are due in early spring. 

While Strinden Center should be taken down, it alone and the area around it probably does not have large enough footprint for what the business school is looking for. Plus some don't want a large business school hiding the research building and nursing school behind it.