SiouxSports.com Forum

Say no to Roughriders come on Larry!?!

yababy8

Honestly, I am sick and tired of outsiders telling us what they approve or disapprove of. Screw that. This is about what is good for UND, now and in the future. Keep it up buddy, you are actually making a good case for Roughriders with your constant harping on "GFRR had it first, so we can't use it". If this is the only strike against Roughriders, that makes it look really good compared to the strikes against the other two finalists (Nodaks and Fighting Hawks).

The DS ad was good, but your unintentional advertising is even bettter! Keep it up!!! :p

well at least we can agree that we are in a situation of, as you say, comparing strikes against for each of the names.I think you have to admit a situation where making a choice has mostly to do with the lesser of three evils is not the best way to adopt a new name. That is why Nodaks works. it's not so much about it being this awesome new name replacement for the Sioux as it is, or should we say, can be considered the least consequential decision being forced upon us today.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

That is why Nodaks works. it's not so much about it being this awesome new name replacement for the Sioux as it is, or should we say, can be considered the least consequential decision being forced upon us today.

So you're saying let's leave the sucking chest wound open so we can keep being bitter about how we got here. 

• Upvote 2

Ames, Iowa:

Iowa State University Cyclones (colors: red, yellow)

Ames (IA) High School Little Cyclones (colors: orange, black)

Before right now, did you know (or care) that ISU and the HS in Ames are both the Cyclones? 

And better, somehow those Iowegians can keep them straight.

So we're going to start calling RR "Little Roughriders"?  That might be offensive to Asians?!:silly: Color definitely won't be black.:ohmy:

Edited by yababy8

Ames, Iowa:

Before right now, did you know (or care) that ISU and the HS in Ames are both the Cyclones? 

So when I am decked out in my green and white Roughrider gear and tell someone that I am going to the Roughrider game tonight, is the person going wonder if I am talking about UND or Red River?  NO!!  Because the colors and the logo will be different.  If they can get away with it in Ames, I think we can do it in Grand Forks.

• Upvote 3

So you're saying let's leave the sucking chest wound open so we can keep being bitter about how we got here. 

This comment implies that somebody wants to be bitter.  While I will refrain from making such accusations, I don't see how any of us can be completely free of bitterness whether we want it or not.  If you are, you must not have been been paying attention to this insulting process.

Ames, Iowa:

Even better. 

Iowa City High School, Iowa City, IA  Nickname:  Little Hawks

Address:  1900 Morningside Drive, Iowa City, IA

-Morningside, you mean the Maroon Chiefs? 

-Nah, they're the Maroon Mustangs now.  Used to go by just Maroons but that's West Des Moines Dowling, they're the Maroons. 

-Dowling is a high school, right? 

-Yes.  But hey, let's go Hawks. 

-Yeah, I like Iowa too.  The Hawkeyes are having a good year.

-I wasn't talking about Iowa. 

-City High then? 

-No, silly, North Dakota, you know the Nodaks. 

-Oh, I see. Yeah, go Nodaks, err, Hawks, err.  I give up.

Any way you slice it Hawks is about as unoriginal and generic nickname as you are going to find.  Nodaks and Roughriders are at least original to college athletics, even if it is not original to Grand Forks or Sioux Falls (Roosevelt HS).  You're not competing against high schools, though, you're competing against other universities.  You are the Roughrider State, after all, and many of us out of staters refer to you as Nodaks already (meaning people from North Dakota).  Maybe RRHS will do you all a solid and give you the nickname Roughriders and they will adopt another.  Would that end the debate?

All I know is Fighting Hawks is about the lamest thing I've ever heard.  That's fine if you all like it.  Just know the rest of us are laughing at it and secretly hoping that's what you choose (maybe not so secretly now).

I guess I'm ageing myself???

It's from the Bob Newheart show.  "Hi I'm Larry. This is my brother Deryl and this is my other brother Deryl" was a quite well known phrase from sitcom lore back in the early 80's..

Regarding your assertion that because one is high school and the other is college so there will be no meaningful or conflicting association,  Of course there will.

Sat morning questions at Denny's:  Who won the Riders game last night?  Did you go to the Riders game?  The Riders are playing very well right now. on and on.

The name is taken...

People say Red River not riders. Did you see the Red River game? That's how it goes. Their identity is the name of the school not the mascot. What to the jerseys say? Red River. Same goes for Central.

Then "North Dakota" is enough, right?

No. The identity of UND was the Fighting Sioux. Very different situation. The pride for that nickname and logo is a different animal than most schools. A lot of schools don't use their mascot at all with their uniforms. They use their school name instead. The B1G is a great example of this. We had our logo front and center on just about everything. You'd think people would want that again and roughriders is the only remaining choice that offers that. If we go with Hawks we'll end up just like the B1G schools because it's not an identity. We're basically already the NoDaks so not much would chsnge there. If we want any chance at having such pride in our nickname and logo Rough Riders is the only opportunity presently available.

Including the description on the picture and the headline, The article referred to to them as Roughriders 1 time, Riders 1 time, and Red River 11 times.  Pretty apparent how the Herald identifies Red River as looking at this article (well at least Tom).  

Red River Riders

UND Roughriders  

• Upvote 1

Including the description on the picture and the headline, The article referred to to them as Roughriders 1 time, Riders 1 time, and Red River 11 times.  Pretty apparent how the Herald identifies Red River as looking at this article (well at least Tom).  

Red River Riders

UND Roughriders  

I posted the link more for the picture....

WTH are you talking about? We are talking about Red Rivers jerseys.

I was giving an example of how it shouldn't be too difficult to tell which Rough Rider team is playing based on context.  Not necessarily pointed at your jersey comment but at people who say it will be confusing having two Rough Rider teams in the same media market.  

• Upvote 2

This comment implies that somebody wants to be bitter.  While I will refrain from making such accusations, I don't see how any of us can be completely free of bitterness whether we want it or not.  If you are, you must not have been been paying attention to this insulting process.

I do my best (admittedly not always so well) to not be bitter about things that have gone beyond my control. It's wasted energies better used on more productive things. 

You can get rid of the bitterness. Here is some help, http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2009/06/02/posttraumatic-embitterment-dis/.