SiouxSports.com Forum

Bye Week

SWSiouxMN

Well I took a little bit of crap from some people after I posted this saying, UND just needs to win (which we do), It doesn't matter what other teams do (which it does). The hope for this weekend was to clear up the playoff picture a bit, but instead the waters are even muddier. All of a sudden, N Colorado has new life, and an outside shot at the playoffs. Basically and help UND could have gotten this weekend, they didn't.

• S Utah, Portland St are both in.
  • Barring a terrible two weeks E Washington will be in (though they have had several close wins and they still need to go TO Montana and host Portland St)
  • N Arizona will likely win one more (Sac State next weekend, in Flagstaff)
  • Montana has new life (E Washington-in Missoula, Mt State - in Bozeman remaining)
  • North Dakota and Northern Colorado determine something next weekend. 1 will be out of the playoff run for sure, the other's fate will come down to the final weekend with UND closing the season @ Cal Poly and N Colorado closing out the season against Abilene Christian.

UND needs to put the foot on the gas because the playoffs start right now.

I don't think there is one team that is "in" right now.  NAU and SUU have D2 wins and I think need a win or two (in NAU case) to guarantee anything.

EWU has a couple games that are far from guarantee Ws  

Montana plays Mont St yet and that is about all that all MSU had left to make their season  

Portland St is in a position they have only been in one time all season and still needs one more win 

UND is in an OK spot but their playoffs actually started two weeks ago  

No team in the sky is in right now. Some can afford to lose a game but every team still alive needs to at least win one or win out to be in. 

UNC is out as one of their wins is D2. They do not have a shot imo.

if suu PSU or EW lose out all 3 could be on the outside looking in. If UND Mont or NAU lose one they are likely out. UND is in a good spot if they win out b/c the other schools all play each other meaning there are guaranteed losses out there. Just win 2 and let it sort itself out.

• Upvote 4

The big sky is a mess right now.  I don't see any team being seeded and what was a shoe-in , e wash, has looked mediocre at best in the last 3 weeks. They could and probably should have been 0-3 in those games. 

Southern Utah, the only undefeated team in conf was rolled by SDSU. Yes SDSU is good and it was early but nothing stands out for me with S Utah. Easy schedule so far and that blowout loss plus a d2 win!?!  

Portland st doesnt have the "it" factor, the Montana schools are both having down yrs, N zona is young as suspectable, weber st no, cal poly out, und much to injured and young.

Actually the fcs seems to be in a down year as well.  No true contenders or anyone that stands out.  Could be the yr that the last team in wins it all.?  Idk. 

At best I see 2 teams from the big sky playoff bound.....e wash and either port st  or S Utah maybe sneaking in.  2 weeks left so a lot can happen.  The resumes are just not there!

Unds 3 "nice" wins are now looking...eh!   Wyoming (fbs) is terrible, port st has 2 loses and their next games are tough , and mont st is in a downward spiral.  Hope I'm wrong and hope the committee will like und but after yesterday my optimism is dwindling.   

Edited by Longtime fan

I'm sure i'll get thumbs down for this.  But, the obsession to play ndsu again may end up costing us more than the raw deal we got in the contract.   Play another Drake this year, and we're sitting in pretty good shape with two weeks left.   Then, win one playoff game, and we'd be playing ndsu anyway.

That said, if we win out and 4 Big Sky teams make the playoffs, we're in.   

• Upvote 2

This next week will tell more.  EWU could lose their next 2 games and not make the playoffs.  @Montana and home against Portland.  Only team in so far is SUU. 

SUU isn't even in. They only have 6 D1 wins. If they lose out they will not be in. They play PSU and NAU so them losing out isn't that far fetched. 

• Upvote 1

I'm sure i'll get thumbs down for this.  But, the obsession to play ndsu again may end up costing us more than the raw deal we got in the contract.   Play another Drake this year, and we're sitting in pretty good shape with two weeks left.   Then, win one playoff game, and we'd be playing ndsu anyway.

That said, if we win out and 4 Big Sky teams make the playoffs, we're in.   

I certainly understand what you're saying but we did play another Drake it was called Idaho State. We lost. I think playing the best in the regular season helped this team with the exception of losing Arnell.  

I certainly understand what you're saying but we did play another Drake it was called Idaho State. We lost. I think playing the best in the regular season helped this team with the exception of losing Arnell.  

Considering we had Idaho St and Weber wins on ice in the 4th the NDSU game has not hurt us. It probably helped us. We should've closed those games out and we'd be in damn good shape.

• Upvote 2

Good point on Idaho State.    And the Weber game, too.   If we do not make the playoffs, those are the two we have to look back on as the ones that got away.  I just feel the ndsu game didn't benefit the team in terms of experience as much as it hurt our playoff chances.

Good point on Idaho State.    And the Weber game, too.   If we do not make the playoffs, those are the two we have to look back on as the ones that got away.  I just feel the ndsu game didn't benefit the team in terms of experience as much as it hurt our playoff chances.

Let's say we do find our way into the playoffs and have to go through Fargo. It definatly prepared us.

• Upvote 1