SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Day Thread

darell1976

From my viewpoint and if I recall correctly, the 92 yard TD pass for Wyoming, came at a point when UND's defense was running on all cylinders on a third and very long.  UND pinned its ear back and brought all comers in a blitz package.  The corners also initially got sucked in to this momentum just enough for their WR to get loose down field on a fly pattern. Coffman floated the ball right over the WR at about the 48 yrd line and he was gone.  Coffman did get hurt on that series from the heavy pressures brought on by UND. It was one time when UW guessed correctly what our aggressive D was going to do. I am sure our coaches will shore this up in the future.

Thank you for the review of the game.  I watched the highlights, and UND did not blitz on this play.  They had nickel in and brought 4.  It appears a DB wasn't aware they were in nickel and comes running on right before the snap.  That DB is one of two chasing after the WR.

Also, we lucked out on the 52-yard run.  Illegal formation as there were only 6 men on the LOS:

21221351215_2bddec4a0a_b.jpg

Edited by Woden
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for the review of the game.  I watched the highlights, and UND did not blitz on this play.  They had nickel in and brought 4.  It appears a DB wasn't aware they were in nickel and comes running on right before the snap.  That DB is one of two chasing after the WR.

Also, we lucked out on the 52-yard run.  Illegal formation as there were only 6 men on the LOS:

Initially there was a flag thrown, but after discussion, the refs picked it up.  Did one of the guys in the backfield go in motion and setup on the line?  I have not seen the play so I don't know how it went.

Thanks so much! I was going off memory and I missed that. It seemed like we were really coming hard on every down in that series. 

Initially there was a flag thrown, but after discussion, the refs picked it up.  Did one of the guys in the backfield go in motion and setup on the line?  I have not seen the play so I don't know how it went.

The play counted. You must be wrong.  ;) :) 

That picture does look like six on the line. I wonder if the WR checked with the linesman before the play. 

Interesting.  No motion.  Ball was snapped as the formation looks in this photo.

Only thing I can think is that the linesman told the WR he was on.  That is clearly an illegal formation unless I am missing something?

All I can guess is this: 

The ball was set with the nose just touching the 48. The WR's toe is just touching the 47. The center set the ball way forward (to 48 and a half) before snapping it (as they all do). The WR would be within one yard of ball placement on line in that scenario. 

That's the only way I can figure other than the WR did the point-check-nod-from-linesman thing.