SiouxSports.com Forum

Closing in on Epic Title Drought

Benny Baker

Okay, so over the past 11 years, it was all on the players and/or bad "puck luck"?  Think of all the different players that have come through this program in 11 years, it has to be a large number.  And you are saying that during these 7 trips to the Frozen Four, we have a 1-6 record solely because of the players not performing and/or some bad "puck luck"?  What are the odds of all those different teams with all those different guys being that delinquent for all 7 Frozen Fours in an 11 year time frame?  Especially with all the world-class talent we have had during this time: Toews, Oshie, Parise, Stafford, etc.  And if the team is good enough and competent enough to get to 7 Frozen Fours, why are they suddenly unable to win once they get there?  And this is after beating good teams on a regular basis during the regular season, the conference tournament (in most cases, anyway) and the regional, which was often held a long way from Grand Forks.  These are the questions that are vexing people on here.  And my main point is that the common thread through all of these teams is Hakstol.  Now that doesn't mean he won't get us over the hump; it may even happen next year.  But it does raise questions from our fan base and it is frustrating to watch over and over again.  So for some people on here to get all angry that everyone isn't chanting "In Hak We Trust" in unison all the time no matter what is a sign that they are blinded by their loyalty to the team and are not able to ask critical questions.  I hope I am proven wrong next year and I hope I will have to eat my words (and I will).  But if the past is a predictor of the future, I am not betting much money on that outcome.

I think Shawn-O had it right earlier: Retain him through the rest of his current contract, but don't extend him yet.  And I am fine with agreeing to disagree, that is what America is all about, right?

You can't compare Oshie, Toews, Parise, and Stafford from back when they were at UND vs now because they are totally different players. Outside of those 4, only Parise was really dominate, when he wasn't getting molested. For as good as Oshie and Toews were there were also easily distracted, which could've affected their play. Stafford was a good player but was he really GREAT? Now, I am not saying they were bad players when they were at UND, I just think people need to stop comparing them from now to back then..

You can't compare Oshie, Toews, Parise, and Stafford from back when they were at UND vs now because they are totally different players. Outside of those 4, only Parise was really dominate, when he wasn't getting molested. For as good as Oshie and Toews were there were also easily distracted, which could've affected their play. Stafford was a good player but was he really GREAT? Now, I am not saying they were bad players when they were at UND, I just think people need to stop comparing them from now to back then..

They were all very very good.

Okay, so over the past 11 years, it was all on the players and/or bad "puck luck"?  Think of all the different players that have come through this program in 11 years, it has to be a large number.  And you are saying that during these 7 trips to the Frozen Four, we have a 1-6 record solely because of the players not performing and/or some bad "puck luck"?  What are the odds of all those different teams with all those different guys being that delinquent for all 7 Frozen Fours in an 11 year time frame?  Especially with all the world-class talent we have had during this time: Toews, Oshie, Parise, Stafford, etc.  And if the team is good enough and competent enough to get to 7 Frozen Fours, why are they suddenly unable to win once they get there?  And this is after beating good teams on a regular basis during the regular season, the conference tournament (in most cases, anyway) and the regional, which was often held a long way from Grand Forks.  These are the questions that are vexing people on here.  And my main point is that the common thread through all of these teams is Hakstol.  Now that doesn't mean he won't get us over the hump; it may even happen next year.  But it does raise questions from our fan base and it is frustrating to watch over and over again.  So for some people on here to get all angry that everyone isn't chanting "In Hak We Trust" in unison all the time no matter what is a sign that they are blinded by their loyalty to the team and are not able to ask critical questions.  I hope I am proven wrong next year and I hope I will have to eat my words (and I will).  But if the past is a predictor of the future, I am not betting much money on that outcome.

I think Shawn-O had it right earlier: Retain him through the rest of his current contract, but don't extend him yet.  And I am fine with agreeing to disagree, that is what America is all about, right?

I think its also important to note that the only head coach Zach Parise played for at UND was Dean Blais.  I'm not sure why he always seems to get lumped into the group of Hakstol players.

But then again, Hak was an assistant/associate coach from 2001-2004.  Perhaps his presence prevented Parise and UND from winning the national title during those years, too.

Stafford was also a Blais recruit who played under Blais in his first season.

Edited by Benny Baker

I'm too lazy and hung ova to look it up

Who where blaisers assistance in 2000 and 1997

I'm assuming Hak and sandy in 2000?

Sandelin and Mark Osiecki in 1997; Sandelin, Jeff Bowen, and Lee Davidson in 2000.

Hakstol has never been associated with a UND team that has won a national championship either as a player, assistant coach, or head coach.

• Upvote 1

Sandelin and Mark Osiecki in 1997; Sandelin, Jeff Bowen, and Lee Davidson in 2000.

Hakstol has never been associated with a UND team that has won a national championship either as a player, assistant coach, or head coach.

This is alarming

1. Enrico Blasi

2. Andy Murray

3. Tom Serratore

4. Damon Whitten

5. Bob Daniels

6. Chris Bergeron

7. Walt Kyle

8. Dallas Ferguson

9. Tom Anastos

10. Guy Gadowsky

CHIRP CHIRP