SiouxSports.com Forum

Adrian Peterson wants trade to Cowboys

I strongly suspect time will prove each sentence of this to be incorrect.

you must not have read this thread from the beginning because I did say the Vikings wouldn't just give Adrian away and would keep him. I also need to stop listening to the Fan!!!!! It's bad for me.....

True fans stick with their teams no matter what.  Any fans of the Purple who want off the bandwagon are strongly encouraged to get off and stay off.

umm were you not the one who started the thread to trade AP anyway????

Can I get that reposted into a couple threads in the Nickname forum? 

Some of the "fans" quoted in the Heraldo cover story on Thursday need to hear that as well.  Because they are confusing a nickname with an institution that many of us here have strong positive feelings about.

Leading injury in MN ERs is a knee or ankle from jumping off and on the wagon too many times in the same week. True story.

This is just utter nonsense. The Vikings actually have very stable support and far fewer bandwagon fans than most NFL teams.

For instance, the Viking's 2014 local market TV ratings were 13th in the league at 32.3. Not great, but better than the league average, which is actually quite good considering that they were without Adrian Peterson from the 2nd game on, and they were coming off a 5-11 season in which they fired their head coach. Heck, the great Dallas Cowboy's only had a 31.6!

This is just utter nonsense. The Vikings actually have very stable support and far fewer bandwagon fans than most NFL teams.

For instance, the Viking's 2014 local market TV ratings were 13th in the league at 32.3. Not great, but better than the league average, which is actually quite good considering that they were without Adrian Peterson from the 2nd game on, and they were coming off a 5-11 season in which they fired their head coach. Heck, the great Dallas Cowboy's only had a 31.6!

Actually, it was meant in jest.  But also directed at some "fans" of teams and an opinion brought on by the callers on sports talk radio - "Vikings won! We're going to the Superbowl! Vikings lost!  Fire everyone!". 

If you want to bring up ratings, though, I'd be curious what their numbers were when they made the playoffs a couple years ago, or first half vs. second half of the season(second should be better due to weather forcing more people indoors?).

Actually, it was meant in jest.  But also directed at some "fans" of teams and an opinion brought on by the callers on sports talk radio - "Vikings won! We're going to the Superbowl! Vikings lost!  Fire everyone!". 

If you want to bring up ratings, though, I'd be curious what their numbers were when they made the playoffs a couple years ago, or first half vs. second half of the season(second should be better due to weather forcing more people indoors?).

The Vikings ratings have been remarkably stable. Despite the relatively poor record since 2010, their local ratings numbers have hardly changed at all ... 2.1 points or less, up or down, between any two years.

During that same time period, the Seahawk's ratings are up 94% and the Saint's are down 16%. Those numbers are evidence of a bandwagon effect.

The Vikings ratings have been remarkably stable. Despite the relatively poor record since 2010, their local ratings numbers have hardly changed at all ... 2.1 points or less, up or down, between any two years.

During that same time period, the Seahawks' ratings are up 94% and the Saint's are down 16%. Those numbers are evidence of a bandwagon effect.

I think the average joe probably thinks this:

My team = most loyal fans in the world.

Everyone else's team = total bandwagonners.

I think the average joe probably thinks this:

My team = most loyal fans in the world.

Everyone else's team = total bandwagonners.

Except that the evidence says that the Vikings are consistently an above average team in terms of fan support.

For instance, they only suffered a .6 point drop in TV ratings (33.4 to 32.8) between 2012 and 2013. You might recall that Vikings made the playoffs in 2012 and Peterson had one of the greatest seasons ever by a running back, while they were 5-10-1 in 2013 with Adrian ending the season on the bench injured. And they had a solid 31.3 rating (#11 in the league) in  2011 when they were 3-13.

The idea that Viking fans are bandwagon jumpers is simply not supported by any facts. You can't say the same about a number of other teams.

Except that the evidence says that the Vikings are consistently an above average team in terms of fan support.

For instance, they only suffered a .6 point drop in TV ratings (33.4 to 32.8) between 2012 and 2013. You might recall that Vikings made the playoffs in 2012 and Peterson had one of the greatest seasons ever by a running back, while they were 5-10-1 in 2013 with Adrian ending the season on the bench injured. And they had a solid 31.3 rating (#11 in the league) in  2011 when they were 3-13.

The idea that Viking fans are bandwagon jumpers is simply not supported by any facts. You can't say the same about a number of other teams.

where did you get your tv ratings from? serious question too

Stephen Jones is the one who makes player/personal decisions for the Cowboys and has already said if they trade for Peterson his contract will be reworked for $8 million. Peterson's agent knows he will get the most money from the Vikings.

AP already has a lot of money - maybe it's worth it to him to have a shot at a Super Bowl appearance ?

A 2016 pick does not help Minnesota this year. I dont want to deal with Matt Asiati in the backfield.

I think the cowboys regress next year.