SiouxSports.com Forum

Adrian Peterson wants trade to Cowboys

I honestly have never heard him say that.  His agent has said that to leverage a position.  What makes you think that if push comes to shove, that he won't fire his agent and play out his contract, rather than leave the money and his tarnished legacy in tact?  His agent can't allow such an idea, or he loses his chance to try negotiate another contract following a trade. 

I believe AP wants to play in near his family.  That doesn't mean he won't continue to play in MN if it doesn't work out.

BTW, I'm not even a Viking fan.

What makes you think that he will come back to the Vikings? He has already made over $50+ million dollars that his agent negotiated a contract for him that has paid him a lot of money. the final three years of Adrians contract is NON-Guaranteed money (like I've said, NFL contracts mean jack SH&T). AD could walk away this year and leave the Vikings with nothing but a dead cap salary hit. 

What makes you think that he will come back to the Vikings? He has already made over $50+ million dollars that his agent negotiated a contract for him that has paid him a lot of money. the final three years of Adrians contract is NON-Guaranteed money (like I've said, NFL contracts mean jack SH&T). AD could walk away this year and leave the Vikings with nothing but a dead cap salary hit. 

Adrian has $2.4M in unamortized signing bonus remaining. Not enough to cause the Vikings any cap problems.

Adrian has $2.4M in unamortized signing bonus remaining. Not enough to cause the Vikings any cap problems.

And if AD were to walk, he would remain the property of the Vikings. He still couldn't play for anyone else...until the Vikings say so.

• Upvote 1

Why does an intelligent individual like yourself believe the media narrative that because AP is now 30 years old, he is washed up? Cripes, three years ago, he rushed for over 2,000 yards. And last season he sat out the final 15 games, thus sparing his body all that punishment from NFL defenses. AP works out as hard as anyone in the NFL and is always working to get better. I don't think he has stopped his workouts because of all these legal problems, so he should feel better than he has in years. A lot of teams that are looking to win now and are one or two players away from the Super Bowl will be interested in AP. And the Cowboys (the original team of interest), don't have Murray anymore, so their RB situation has changed.

Bottom line: AP will either play with the Vikings this season or be traded for whatever they can get for him. Cutting him is not going to happen, Denny Green isn't in charge anymore, remember?

He isn't getting younger. The Vikings are not a super bowl team. Logic says... Get rid of him.

If your goal is to go 9-7... Keep him! Have fun watching him have another season or two as a premier back. If you want your franchise to go anywhere at all... You get rid of him now... And build.

I'm not a Viking fan... I'm a Steelers man myself... So I got no dog in the fight. The best running back in the league is making maybe 10% of what AP is and he is doing it in Pittsburgh.

He isn't getting younger. The Vikings are not a super bowl team. Logic says... Get rid of him.

If your goal is to go 9-7... Keep him! Have fun watching him have another season or two as a premier back. If you want your franchise to go anywhere at all... You get rid of him now... And build.

I'm not a Viking fan... I'm a Steelers man myself... So I got no dog in the fight. The best running back in the league is making maybe 10% of what AP is and he is doing it in Pittsburgh.

Even cheaper since he won't be getting paid (or playing) the first three games of the season.

I'd say that, despite the off-field issues, he's still the best running back in the league. I'd say he's got 5 years of very high-level football left in him. There's no better use of the Viking's resources -- both financial resources and draft picks --  than to simply keep AD on the team.

With their QB problems apparently resolved, the Vikings are a team on the rise. Keeping AD will accelerate, not hinder, that rise.

I'd say that, despite the off-field issues, he's still the best running back in the league. I'd say he's got 5 years of very high-level football left in him. There's no better use of the Viking's resources -- both financial resources and draft picks -- than to simply keep AD on the team.

With their QB problems apparently resolved, the Vikings are a team on the rise. Keeping AD will accelerate, not hinder, that rise.

Look at running back production in the league after they hit 30. Vikes couldn't win with this guy in his prime... Might as well build a team without him. Again, if you guys are okay with being a .500 type team, cool..

Bottom line, if this guy played for an elite franchise like New England or Pittsburgh, he'd be taking a pay cut or be traded.

Look at running back production in the league after they hit 30. Vikes couldn't win with this guy in his prime... Might as well build a team without him. Again, if you guys are okay with being a .500 type team, cool..

Bottom line, if this guy played for an elite franchise like New England or Pittsburgh, he'd be taking a pay cut or be traded.

The difference is they have Teddy Bridgewater at QB instead of Christian Ponder so there is actually the threat of a decent passing game. Vikings have a decent chance to be a playoff team this year with another solid draft in about a week whether AP is with the Vikings or not.

The difference is they have Teddy Bridgewater at QB instead of Christian Ponder so there is actually the threat of a decent passing game. Vikings have a decent chance to be a playoff team this year with another solid draft in about a week whether AP is with the Vikings or not.

I forget some teams shoot for playoffs while others try to build for super bowls. Vikes aren't winning one anytime soon. Might as well build for the future.

how many times have i heard this song and dance before? when are you vikings fans going to realize that the vikings are a mess from top to bottom! there is a reason why they suck year in and year out, THEY DRAFT PLAYERS IN THE FIRST ROUND LIKE CHRISTIAN PONDER! Before anyone says "he sucks and he never should've been picked when he was", you were probably the ones who said he was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. the fact of the matter is, AP probably wont be in MN this season and there wont be a hoard of draft picks coming the vikings way. its just reality 

• Downvote 1

And if AD were to walk, he would remain the property of the Vikings. He still couldn't play for anyone else...until the Vikings say so.

how well did that work out for the Green Bay Packers when Brett Favre wanted out of GB??? Like I said, contracts mean jack in the NFL and everyone knows it.

how well did that work out for the Green Bay Packers when Brett Favre wanted out of GB??? Like I said, contracts mean jack in the NFL and everyone knows it.

What are you saying? They got a 3rd round pick for someone who they weren't going to play, that's not a bad thing?

what im saying is a player of AD caliber can force his way out no matter what. 

He doesn't really have a lot going for him in this deal...he's 30 which is the Mendoza line for RB's, he's due to make something like $44 million the next 3 years which nobody is going to take on without major restructuring, he's got the bad publicity of the child-beating hanging over him, and he can't play anywhere ever if Minnesota doesn't trade him. Five years ago teams would be falling over themselves getting to him, but now he's not really that attractive all things considered. If they get the right offer on draft day they will probably take it thinking more about the $31 million they'll save in 2016 and 2017, but really if he never suits up again it's not like like they have a lump of coal in their stocking, they have 13 million lumps of coal and already have cap space, they could start rebuilding the right way for a change.

how many times have i heard this song and dance before? when are you vikings fans going to realize that the vikings are a mess from top to bottom! there is a reason why they suck year in and year out, THEY DRAFT PLAYERS IN THE FIRST ROUND LIKE CHRISTIAN PONDER! Before anyone says "he sucks and he never should've been picked when he was", you were probably the ones who said he was going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. the fact of the matter is, AP probably wont be in MN this season and there wont be a hoard of draft picks coming the vikings way. its just reality 

Anyone who had watched one of Christian Ponder's college games could have told you he shouldn't be a 1st round pick but the Vikings were dumb and panicked reaching for a QB. I don't know any Viking fans who were happy with that selection most fans I know were hoping for Prince Amukamara or Nick Fairley. My guess is AP will either be playing in Minnesota next year or he won't be playing in the NFL at all.

He doesn't really have a lot going for him in this deal...he's 30 which is the Mendoza line for RB's, he's due to make something like $44 million the next 3 years which nobody is going to take on without major restructuring, he's got the bad publicity of the child-beating hanging over him, and he can't play anywhere ever if Minnesota doesn't trade him. Five years ago teams would be falling over themselves getting to him, but now he's not really that attractive all things considered. If they get the right offer on draft day they will probably take it thinking more about the $31 million they'll save in 2016 and 2017, but really if he never suits up again it's not like like they have a lump of coal in their stocking, they have 13 million lumps of coal and already have cap space, they could start rebuilding the right way for a change.

Exactly right! AD can certainly force his way out by becoming a locker room cancer. But that would only serve to cost him money and further damage his already tattered public image.  It's AD that stands to lose the most in a holdout situation. The Vikings lose little or nothing.

If Adrian Peterson wants to rebuild his standing as an all-time NFL great, his best course is to STFU, report to training camp in Mankato, and have a great season with the Vikings. Then, maybe, the money and adulation he expects will begin to come back to him. 

Unfortunately, it appears that he's getting stunningly bad advice from his agent.

Never said he would, I'm just not so sure he wouldn't.  The Vikings will pay him well, as they have a contract.  If no one else can pay him (as he's under contract) and he wants to play, he could be in MN this season.  Probably won't be, but he could be. :shrug:

Exactly right! AD can certainly force his way out by becoming a locker room cancer. But that would only serve to cost him money and further damage his already tattered public image.  It's AD that stands to lose the most in a holdout situation. The Vikings lose little or nothing.

If Adrian Peterson wants to rebuild his standing as an all-time NFL great, his best course is to STFU, report to training camp in Mankato, and have a great season with the Vikings. Then, maybe, the money and adulation he expects will begin to come back to him. 

Unfortunately, it appears that he's getting stunningly bad advice from his agent.

Well put!

Why does an intelligent individual like yourself believe the media narrative that because AP is now 30 years old, he is washed up? Cripes, three years ago, he rushed for over 2,000 yards. And last season he sat out the final 15 games, thus sparing his body all that punishment from NFL defenses. AP works out as hard as anyone in the NFL and is always working to get better. I don't think he has stopped his workouts because of all these legal problems, so he should feel better than he has in years.

"Media narrative" about AP and his age? Do you pay attention to any statistics on RB's after the age of 28? They've got a more limited shelf-life than a gallon of milk.

Wasn't that long ago that Chris Johnson was lighting up the league with the Titans...what's he up to these days?

"Media narrative" about AP and his age? Do you pay attention to any statistics on RB's after the age of 28? They've got a more limited shelf-life than a gallon of milk.

Wasn't that long ago that Chris Johnson was lighting up the league with the Titans...what's he up to these days?

But AP is different.... If you don't believe me, ask the Viking fans. ;)

But AP is different.... If you don't believe me, ask the Viking fans. ;)

Well, we are talking about a guy who ran for 2,000+ yards -- 9 yards short of the all-time NFL record -- a year after having major reconstructive knee surgery. I'd say that it is fair to say that Adrian Peterson is indeed different.

• Upvote 1

I forget some teams shoot for playoffs while others try to build for super bowls. Vikes aren't winning one anytime soon. Might as well build for the future.

The Vikings have had more 1st round draft picks (7) over the last three years than any team in a three year period in the history of the NFL. They are building for the future, and Adrian is part of that future. He just needs to get on board.

The Vikings have had more 1st round draft picks over the last three years than any team in a three year period in the history of the NFL. They are building for the future, and Adrian is part of that future. He just needs to get on board.

When is that future going to come for the Vikings? It seems like they have always said that "we are building for the future".....Drafting players like Christian Ponder and Troy Williamson in the 1st round is not building for the future....

AP is not a normal human being.  Anyone who rushes for over 2,000 yards one year after shredding his knee is not your average NFL player.  He works hard in the weight room and takes care of his body, unlike Randy Moss, who could have been the greatest WR of all time but didn't want to put in the off-season work like Jerry Rice did.  He played in one game last year, which means he didn't get beat up in games and any nagging injuries have healed by now.   Any team that wants to win right now will be interested in him.  And as for a rookie draft pick having "more tread on the tires", that doesn't mean he'll give you anything close to what AP gives you, a home run threat every time he touches the ball.  With a productive QB (Bridgewater), he'll be even more dangerous.....if he comes to his senses and gets back on board the Mike Zimmer Train before it leaves the station.

When is that future going to come for the Vikings? It seems like they have always said that "we are building for the future".....Drafting players like Christian Ponder and Troy Williamson in the 1st round is not building for the future....

Ponder was stupid and happened quite recently, but you are going to bring up Williamson?  That was quite awhile ago.  Spielman used to have to share personnel decisions with guys like Brad Childress, now he doesn't.  He does a good job in the draft of trading up to get a player or down to get more picks.  Now that we have a competent head coach running the team (Mike Zimmer), I think you'll see some serious progress from the Vikings (for a change).