SiouxSports.com Forum

Blackout Week: North Dakota vs. UM Griz

geaux_sioux

The coaches are trying to prepare their team for a game, I get that.  And I don't think SB has a bad D.  They don't.  I just haven't seen enough from them to agree with the hype they've been given.

And with all due respect, unless you are talking basketball don't throw out the name UConn and think it means a damn thing.  They stink.  SB is their only win, and they just got whacked by Temple at home last week.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/conn-m-footbl-sched.html

So if UND had gone out to UCONN this year and won, that wouldn't have done anything for ya then huh?...

• Upvote 1

@tommillergf: One more note for tomorrow's UND FB matchup with Montana: NG Shea Walker, LB Marcus Jenkins-Moore no longer with the program.

Unfortunate.

Unfortunate indeed.  Walker played pretty well against Stoney Brook.  Jenkins-Moore looked the part physically but being away from the game for two years, he never really seemed to look comfortable in the limited reps he had. 

Unfortunate indeed.  Walker played pretty well against Stoney Brook.  Jenkins-Moore looked the part physically but being away from the game for two years, he never really seemed to look comfortable in the limited reps he had. 

Grades? Lack of playing time? Off field issues?

So if UND had gone out to UCONN this year and won, that wouldn't have done anything for ya then huh?...

I think there are 3 teams, possibly 4, in this conference that win at UConn.

SB didn't win at UConn and neither would UND.  But having seen both teams, that has more to do with SB and UND than it does about UConn.

If UND were to go to SUU and win that will do something for me.

I got rid of Cable One in favor of Directv so which FCS channel is the game on, the guide says to be announced at 1:30 hopefully that's the one.

It is not on FCS.  The Big Sky television agreement with Root Sports doesn't allow for conference games to be carried on FCS, only the Midco Sports Network.

Matt, we've done that at least twice already.  Once as a D2 transitional program.

You really would rather seen them beat SUU on the road than get an FBS win (which we have yet to do) on the road at UCONN? ???

When you're out recruiting, what does more for a high school kid?  "Hey we beat SUU at their place" or "Hey we went out to Big East FBS School UCONN and beat them on the road"?

It is not on FCS.  The Big Sky television agreement with Root Sports doesn't allow for conference games to be carried on FCS, only the Midco Sports Network.

That sucks, oh well at least I got the backup plan, Watch Big Sky tv!!  Thanks Corman930 for the info.

I think there are 3 teams, possibly 4, in this conference that win at UConn.

SB didn't win at UConn and neither would UND.  But having seen both teams, that has more to do with SB and UND than it does about UConn.

That SUU game may be a nail biter. 1-4 overall with the only win against Weber State. They have EWU and ISU before UND so when we play them SUU can be 1-6 (if ISU can upset them).

Matt, we've done that at least twice already.  Once as a D2 transitional program.

You really would rather seen them beat SUU on the road than get an FBS win (which we have yet to do) on the road at UCONN? ???

Let's live in 2014 for a moment.

SB is not good.

UND is not good.

UConn is not good, but they are better than both UND and SB.  Yes, UND winning at UConn would do something for me, but I'm not living in fantasy land and the bar is set so low this year that a win against SUU-a difficult road game vs an opponent actually on the schedule-really would mean something to me. 

• Upvote 1

Let's live in 2014 for a moment.

SB is not good.

UND is not good.

UConn is not good, but they are better than both UND and SB. Yes, UND winning at UConn would do something for me, but I'm not living in fantasy land and the bar is set so low this year that a win against SUU-a difficult road game vs an opponent actually on the schedule-really would mean something to me.

Stony Brook narrowly lost to UCONN.

UND defeated Stony Brook.

UCONN is certainly better than UND?

Matt, I'm afraid your assertions are foolish, and well, irrelevant.

You said this....

And with all due respect, unless you are talking basketball don't throw out the name UConn and think it means a damn thing.  They stink.  SB is their only win, and they just got whacked by Temple at home last week.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/conn-m-footbl-sched.html

I was simply pointing out that you got caught up in message board hyperbole in regards to the UCONN football team.  Is UCONN a "good FBS" program right now?  No.  Would beating them do something for ANY FCS team in the country?  Yes.

It does and would "mean a damn thing" if we had and/or Stony Brook had beaten UCONN. 

That's all I'm saying.

Stony Brook narrowly lost to UCONN.

UND defeated Stony Brook.

UCONN is certainly better than UND?

Matt, I'm afraid your assertions are foolish, and well, irrelevant.

Perusing your posts over recent seasons, you are in no position to characterize anyone's assertions as foolish.

You said this....

I was simply pointing out that you got caught up in message board hyperbole in regards to the UCONN football team.  Is UCONN a "good FBS" program right now?  No.  Would beating them do something for ANY FCS team in the country?  Yes.

It does and would "mean a damn thing" if we had and/or Stony Brook had beaten UCONN. 

That's all I'm saying.

But they didn't beat a bad UConn team, and the fact the SB defense played well vs a bad FBS team (or a bad UND offense) doesn't make them live up to the hype.

Perusing your posts over recent seasons, you are in no position to characterize anyone's assertions as foolish.

Please feel free to enlighten me with examples.

I'm a Univeristy of North Dakota alumnus and fan; I'm not on this board because I get paid to post my honest-to-God objective opinion, but rather because I like discussing how UND athletics can succeed.

If you would rather use this board to spread your pessimism, then so be it; that's your prerogative. Nevertheless, many of your claims are outright incorrect and possess no merit.

As for your post regarding UCONN football, I stand by what I said in that it is pointless. UCONN is an FBS program that has had moderate success; if UND and/or any other FCS team plays them tough or defeats them, it's worth noting. Dismissing that entire notion on your part is, well, foolish.

• Upvote 2

But they didn't beat a bad UConn team, and the fact the SB defense played well vs a bad FBS team (or a bad UND offense) doesn't make them live up to the hype.

So at what point do they live up to the "hype"?  How long do they need to have the number 2 ranked defense in FCS?  How good does an FBS offense have to be in order for a performance to mean a damn thing?

I have yet to read any hype, only people saying they were a good defense.  If you watched the game, they were big, fast and athletic.  If their offense could throw the ball consistently to anyone but that huge TE/WR, they could as easily have a winning record.   

So at what point do they live up to the "hype"?  How long do they need to have the number 2 ranked defense in FCS?  How good does an FBS offense have to be in order for a performance to mean a damn thing?

I have yet to read any hype, only people saying they were a good defense.  If you watched the game, they were big, fast and athletic.  If their offense could throw the ball consistently to anyone but that huge TE/WR, they could as easily have a winning record.   

Not sure why they just don't look into giving him the ball every play, he was the real deal. From where they're sitting, couldn't hurt to try?

Here's what we know as this point...even at 1-4 the SB D is one of the best to hit the turf at the Alerus...ever. UConn is a FBS school that has been successful in FB...at least for a season...at some point. We should have scheduled UConn this season as it would have gotten UND its first and much needed win vs a FBS team...and yes even beating UConn would mean even a little something...since UND hasn't beating any other FBS team. And UND will play the Griz today.

Just looking for signs of more improvement and progression for the program.  Today is another big litmus test for that. 

Many important recruits will be there watching.  UND needs to show them in person it's going the right direction.  Win or lose, I think they will today.

• Upvote 1