SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 Season

sioux24/7

I have a suggestion for a new forum topic, or at least a new thread: Darrel's "All things NDSU" thread. Just sayin'...

Just stop, if you think I am the only one who ever brings up NDSU you are not only blind but stupid too. UND plays the Bison in 2 1/2 weeks so it may be hard to talk about that game without mentioning them.

Just stop, if you think I am the only one who ever brings up NDSU you are not only blind but stupid too. UND plays the Bison in 2 1/2 weeks so it may be hard to talk about that game without mentioning them.

We also have a tournament in Utah this weekend. Do you have any updates or insights on Alabama St., Utah, or Texas Pan Am. Or how about the Drake or the UM games next week? Again, just sayin'...

• Upvote 2

We also have a tournament in Utah this weekend. Do you have any updates or insights on Alabama St., Utah, or Texas Pan Am. Or how about the Drake or the UM games next week? Again, just sayin'...

Since they aren't our rival or 70 miles away I can't say how they will do against them.

:silly:

Looks like I touched a nerve darrell ((based on your posts in a couple other threads).  I have no issues with people bringing up NDSU when it's relevant.  Your NDSU posts are often irrelevant to what is taking place in the thread.  Had you stated the NDSU-UMC score followed up with some analysis such as UMC played a zone D which forced took away the post players for NDSU forcing them to look for outside shots.  Then pose a possible game plan as to how how UND could use it to their advantage, then fine...that would be a relevant post as opposed to informing us that NDSU had a close game with UMC.

You bring up NDSU and quote bisonville more than anyone else here.  That's your thing, I get it...I was just suggesting we put it all in one thread so we don't have to see it in mutiple threads in multiple forums.

PS.  Hopefully no one bashes my hypothetical bball analysis summary above.  I did not watch the game, see any highlights, or read any news stories to see what happened. I am far from a basketball genius so I was just typing off the top of my head...  :)

• Upvote 3

Looks like I touched a nerve darrell ((based on your posts in a couple other threads).  I have no issues with people bringing up NDSU when it's relevant.  Your NDSU posts are often irrelevant to what is taking place in the thread.  Had you stated the NDSU-UMC score followed up with some analysis such as UMC played a zone D which forced took away the post players for NDSU forcing them to look for outside shots.  Then pose a possible game plan as to how how UND could use it to their advantage, then fine...that would be a relevant post as opposed to informing us that NDSU had a close game with UMC.

You bring up NDSU and quote bisonville more than anyone else here.  That's your thing, I get it...I was just suggesting we put it all in one thread so we don't have to see it in mutiple threads in multiple forums.

PS.  Hopefully no one bashes my hypothetical bball analysis summary above.  I did not watch the game, see any highlights, or read any news stories to see what happened. I am far from a basketball genius so I was just typing off the top of my head...  :)

Why don't you guys PM each other - the rest of us have no interest in your back-and-forth jabs at each other!! 

• Upvote 1

Crandall had some back pain.  Not sure if he is redshirting , Shields and Richman probably redshirting.  Kinda odd that their status has not been announced.  Guess is that all 3 will redshirt since they did not dress for last game. Maybe some reporter will ask the coach.

UND used 11 players at SDSU, including Freshmen Shields, (3 min) and Cashman (6 min). With Salmonson, Shanks, and Stefan looking to get minutes in a few weeks, it appears that we will have an active roster of at least 15 players counting Thomas Blake. That is a lot of guys trying to find playing time. If Crandall is not redshirted that adds another guard to an already deep postion.

As far as the NDSU-Crookston game goes, it appears NDSU does have a down team this season. With that said, when UND plays NDSU this year in Fargo, it likely will turn out to be a close game. Hopefully UND pulls it out.

As for now, I'm interested in seeing how UND does at the Utah tournament. Last year, UND was horrific in tournament play. Jones needs to improve this. I think UND's team this year has potential to be, dare I say it, better than last years club. More depth, and better defensive, unselfish play among the guys. Time will tell I guess.

• Upvote 1

UND has played relatively well first 2 games ...very easily covering the pointspread both games.   They are a even bet in Vegas tonight . Not sure why Shields did not red shirt. 

I too am questioning that. He seems like a very raw player and I doubt he is ready to make an impact this year. I would love it if he surprised me though. 

We have zero post presence this season. UND shoulld have advantage there. We will need to shoot well to win most games this season.

Utah will be a handful for you guys. Wright I believe for them is expected to be a 1st round pick.

• 2 weeks later...

read in the Herald that Salmonson has a concussion, I am guess that is a big reason as to why they lifted Sheilds shirt.  You can't play with just 3 bodies at the 4 and 5.  At least with Shields you don't need to play anyone out of position (Benton). 

Hope this isn't another Brekke type situation with Salmonson

For the little amount of time that Shields has played tho, why bother. I would think they could get thru until Shanks was available. Hope Salmonson recovers.

Agreed very frustrating. Of all the freshman, I would have thought he would have been the one redshirting for sure. Glad Crandall is though. Him and Seales could be lethal the next four years.

Agreed very frustrating. Of all the freshman, I would have thought he would have been the one redshirting for sure. Glad Crandall is though. Him and Seales could be lethal the next four years.

To play devils advocate, with him playing now we can protect ourselves in case another post goes down.  We have some depth this year in our 4s and 5s, its not necessarily talented depth yet, but its depth. If there is one thing that this team has over last years, its the fact that they have more bodies available at the 4 and 5.  Last year was Nash, Traylor, Calc and Salmonson. This year is Nash, Calc, Salmonson, Sheilds, Cashman, and Shanks. It prevents playing people out of position, we don't have to stick Benton or Coleman at the 4 for 5-10 a game.  They can focus on their positions at the SF or guard when called upon.  If Salmonson was healthy, im sure we would be complaining to why Cashman was only getting x minutes and not redshirting.

I'll ask this question.  Who would you rather have at the 4: A raw 6'8 205 natural 4, a physical but shorter guard, or a little longer but gives up more weight SF?

To play devils advocate, with him playing now we can protect ourselves in case another post goes down. We have some depth this year in our 4s and 5s, its not necessarily talented depth yet, but its depth. If there is one thing that this team has over last years, its the fact that they have more bodies available at the 4 and 5. Last year was Nash, Traylor, Calc and Salmonson. This year is Nash, Calc, Salmonson, Sheilds, Cashman, and Shanks. It prevents playing people out of position, we don't have to stick Benton or Coleman at the 4 for 5-10 a game. They can focus on their positions at the SF or guard when called upon. If Salmonson was healthy, im sure we would be complaining to why Cashman was only getting x minutes and not redshirting.

I'll ask this question. Who would you rather have at the 4: A raw 6'8 205 natural 4, a physical but shorter guard, or a little longer but gives up more weight SF?

To play devils advocate, with him playing now we can protect ourselves in case another post goes down. We have some depth this year in our 4s and 5s, its not necessarily talented depth yet, but its depth. If there is one thing that this team has over last years, its the fact that they have more bodies available at the 4 and 5. Last year was Nash, Traylor, Calc and Salmonson. This year is Nash, Calc, Salmonson, Sheilds, Cashman, and Shanks. It prevents playing people out of position, we don't have to stick Benton or Coleman at the 4 for 5-10 a game. They can focus on their positions at the SF or guard when called upon. If Salmonson was healthy, im sure we would be complaining to why Cashman was only getting x minutes and not redshirting.

I'll ask this question. Who would you rather have at the 4: A raw 6'8 205 natural 4, a physical but shorter guard, or a little longer but gives up more weight SF?

Did he need to have redshirt pulled for the few minutes he has played? Hypothetically, if someone else were to go down and they needed him, then pull it. His minutes so far haven't justified it. Maybe they will come and I will be wrong, which I hope so. How about Crandall, Seales, and Shields? Throw in Shanks and Collins, that's one long, athletic lineup we looking at next year.

re your question: a raw young player had tendency to be last on offense, and can force a defensive strategy change. Give me anyone to guard the 4, for the few minutes needed if there is a possibility of Krohn a young kid redshirted.

Again, just my opinion, hope I'm wrong

I know some are trying to temper expectations for Shanks, which I understand, but I honestly just hope that in time, he's a more physically gifted version of senior year Mitch Wilmer. It will be interesting to see exactly how far away from Wilmer's senior year level Shanks is by the end of this season.

I know that teams often report player height and weight in a "liberal" manner, but I notice that Shanks is listed on the UND roster at 230 pounds, 5 pounds lighter than he was on his Utah St. roster.  Wilmer was listed at 236 as a senior. 

It would be major boon to this team the rest of the year if Shanks is anywhere near as serviceable as Wilmer was, just defensively.

I know some are trying to temper expectations for Shanks, which I understand, but I honestly just hope that in time, he's a more physically gifted version of senior year Mitch Wilmer. It will be interesting to see exactly how far away from Wilmer's senior year level Shanks is by the end of this season.

Maybe those trying to temper expectations for Shanks know something about his game and that is why they are trying to lower expectations for him. When people were talking about Tyler stepping in as a starting guard for you this year and taking over for Anderson or Webb, I tried to temper those expectations after watching him compete against NDSU  for 2 years. He is not anywhere close to those 2 and never will be. Chances are if Shanks had any offensive skills at 7 feet, he would have been playing right away at Utah State.