SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 Season

sioux24/7

I would like to see more of the Shanks-Nash-Coleman-Tyler-Hooker lineup. I also think Shields should get more minutes. 

Agree,  out rebounded badly again.  Another game we could have won if we just matched them in rebounds.  Its the small things ( 3 small point guards) costing us 3-4 games already this year.

Frustrating thing is that we should be sitting at 3-2 or 4-1 if we do rebound, get timely stops, don't force bad shots. There is a some encouraging signs during the homestand, however the record is what is it.  UND has a critical road swing this weekend with Idaho and EWU, and a bigger homestand with Weber and ISU.  UND is going to need to pull a 3-1 or get all 4 to get back into the thick of the Big Sky playoff race. I feel the 2nd half of the schedule is a little softer and if UND can figure it out (toughest game I feel is at Sac, then at UNC, get SUU twice, NAU twice, Montanas at home, and at PSU), they can get on a run.

Despite a tough shooting night, Hooker has been awesome since the start of conference play.  Averaging 14 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 5.4 apg, (27 assists to 9 turnovers so a 3:1 Turnover ratio).Shooting at 46%, 3 point shooting isn't anything to celebrate at 25% however, but outside of last nights game, he hasn't attempted too many.  He has really started to live up to the high expectations that were had of him when he first stepped on campus.  Still waiting for that one game where he really takes over.

Shanks appears to be the long-term answer at the 5.  He has given us an offensive threat that we desperately needed and has great chemistry with Hooker.  He does need to get bigger and stronger so he can battle more on the boards, but it feels nice to not worry our center for a change.

Nash has had better games this homestand, Tyler is Tyler:  He has moments where he is on fire and moments he just frustrates you.  Same with De Rouen.  Lenny has cooled off in the last few games, but still this is the best he has played in his career.

We have a glaring issue at the small forward and the 3 guard lineup isn't working.  Coleman or Hobaugh need to step up and fill it.. NOW!

We have a glaring issue at the small forward and the 3 guard lineup isn't working.  Coleman or Hobaugh need to step up and fill it.. NOW!

I liked what I saw from Coleman yesterday. He was aggressive and appears to have the talent to be very good for us. Hobaugh will never be our first option at SF but he provides valuable minutes off the bench with his heart and hustle.

I think the team needs to win 4 out of the next 6 to get back in the race. Doable, but they need to close out some of these tight games. A couple thoughts from the 3 game home stand.

Positives

- Hooker and Shanks continue to growth and get better each game. One is a soph and the other a FR so that is exciting

- I continue to like what Tyler and TDR bring to the table they are just a little inconsistent. Tyler is very streaky, when he's on he is on, when he's cold he's cold. TDR brings great energy to the defensive side of the ball but offensive production hot/cold like Tyler.

- Hopefully Colemans game yesterday is a sign he will get back into things. I like what he brings to the 3 spot. 

- This team plays better defense than previous teams

- The effort is there (I have never questioned the effort of this team, which is good to see)

Negatives

- Rebounding - it's been mentioned plenty

- Missed layups - Probably cost UND 2 out of 3 games. 

- Consistency - We have a lot of guys who are very inconsistent. Last year you knew Huff was good for 15 plus and Anderson would give you 12-16. then you'd have a combination of other guys getting the rest. I think Hooker is starting to get to the point where you know he is going to be there every night and maybe Shanks after the home stand, but he is still very young. Other than that, the scoring is inconsistent. 

- 3 home losses. Tough to lose your first 3 conference home games even if they were close and entertaining. 

- Shields not redshirting - He made one jump shot yesterday, but other than that was getting push around on D and looked out of place on O. I really like the young man's potential and think he will be a really good player for UND, but I think we would be a lot better as a redshirt SR. than a true frosh playing 5 minutes every 3-4 games. No way he should play more minutes over Nash and Coleman right now. I don't know the whole situation, but from an outside perspective I think he would've been better off redshirting

Overall not where UND needs to be, but they can still get back in the conference tourney race. The Big Sky tourney is going to be wide open as anyone can beat anyone this year. If they do that this year I would be fine with that, as I think next year and the year after are the years to try and make some noise with the talent the roster will have. 

I think the team needs to win 4 out of the next 6 to get back in the race. Doable, but they need to close out some of these tight games. A couple thoughts from the 3 game home stand.

Positives

- Hooker and Shanks continue to growth and get better each game. One is a soph and the other a FR so that is exciting

- I continue to like what Tyler and TDR bring to the table they are just a little inconsistent. Tyler is very streaky, when he's on he is on, when he's cold he's cold. TDR brings great energy to the defensive side of the ball but offensive production hot/cold like Tyler.

- Hopefully Colemans game yesterday is a sign he will get back into things. I like what he brings to the 3 spot.

- This team plays better defense than previous teams

- The effort is there (I have never questioned the effort of this team, which is good to see)

Negatives

- Rebounding - it's been mentioned plenty

- Missed layups - Probably cost UND 2 out of 3 games.

- Consistency - We have a lot of guys who are very inconsistent. Last year you knew Huff was good for 15 plus and Anderson would give you 12-16. then you'd have a combination of other guys getting the rest. I think Hooker is starting to get to the point where you know he is going to be there every night and maybe Shanks after the home stand, but he is still very young. Other than that, the scoring is inconsistent.

- 3 home losses. Tough to lose your first 3 conference home games even if they were close and entertaining.

- Shields not redshirting - He made one jump shot yesterday, but other than that was getting push around on D and looked out of place on O. I really like the young man's potential and think he will be a really good player for UND, but I think we would be a lot better as a redshirt SR. than a true frosh playing 5 minutes every 3-4 games. No way he should play more minutes over Nash and Coleman right now. I don't know the whole situation, but from an outside perspective I think he would've been better off redshirting

Overall not where UND needs to be, but they can still get back in the conference tourney race. The Big Sky tourney is going to be wide open as anyone can beat anyone this year. If they do that this year I would be fine with that, as I think next year and the year after are the years to try and make some noise with the talent the roster will have.

Great observations and pretty much spot on. I think if we continue to be competitive it really sets us up well for next year. With Geno, Seales on board. An offseason of strength and conditioning for Shanks. A body knocker like Bernstine. We will struggle at times this year. That was expected. We could easily be 4-1 at this point. See it as a positive. Especially given what we saw out of sac state and psu last night.

Great observations and pretty much spot on. I think if we continue to be competitive it really sets us up well for next year. With Geno, Seales on board. An offseason of strength and conditioning for Shanks. A body knocker like Bernstine. We will struggle at times this year. That was expected. We could easily be 4-1 at this point. See it as a positive. Especially given what we saw out of sac state and psu last night.

I forgot one other positive. Great turnout yesterday by the UND faithful. If we could get that from the fans/students every game we would soon have the best home court advantage in the conference after Weber and Montana. I would say we are in the conversation for #3 right now, but if we have a crowd like yesterday every game it would be far and away the 3rd best. 

I forgot one other positive. Great turnout yesterday by the UND faithful. If we could get that from the fans/students every game we would soon have the best home court advantage in the conference after Weber and Montana. I would say we are in the conversation for #3 right now, but if we have a crowd like yesterday every game it would be far and away the 3rd best.

Yes!

Just schedule all home games prior to UND hockey games and give the students priority seating for hockey, and you might be on to something. (Sarc).

It might be tough to swing it on Thursdays, though. ( ;

• 1 month later...

Big Sky awards announced: http://www.bigskyconf.com/documents/2015/3/9/2015AllConferenceTeam.pdf

I was a little surprised there was no honorable mention for Hooker.

It is dumb sometimes how they vote on this. If he were a Senior and this team had same record, I have to assume (hate that word), he would be on there.  But because he is an underclassman, they figure he will get on the list next year or the year after.  Again, dumb logic, but...