SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

So, you are saying those three teams are in the same boat as all the teams in the Big Ten?

You wanna see 13 on down freak out? Then cheer for Ferris State and UNH to win their conference tournaments. Anyone but Minnesota in the B10 would also cause a PWR mess.

I can't wait to pay Mr. Brodzinski back!  GO SIOUX!

I know we are all disappointed that Mac is gone for the season, but there is no payback for the injury needed.  That was just a dumb luck injury with Mac doing what any of the players would have done in a 5 on 3 PK.  If I remember right, we did beat them 3 out of 4.  

• Upvote 1

If the Gophers don't make the NCAAs the PWR will be tweaked you can bet on that.

I read that as ***** meaning if the Gophers don't make the field this year after winning the Big Ten this season, they would tweak the Pairwise for next season. Not inconceivable.

I understand the added incentive of winning the tournament to get the automatic bid, but the degree of difficulty winning the league - any league - is much more difficult and more deserving of an automatic bid. The problem is that if you award the automatic to the league winner, the tournament becomes a waste of time. I've always been in favor of the league winner getting the automatic.

******* nailed it. It isn't even about Minnesota it is about the fact that a major conference outright regular season champ will miss the tournament. The Big Ten is not Atlantic Hockey the NCAA will not like that...

They change the pwr all the time they will change the rules again if it happens you can bet on it.

I bet said tweak would drive the Nachos crazy. Blow up the wcha to form a super conference, and a "Gopher Rule" goes into effect to make sure the B1G is still represented icon_biggrin.gif

Here's a Gopher fan trying to explain the rationale behind the PWR needing tweaking so conference champions are guaranteed an NCAA berth...and the reaction of everyone else...

tumblr_mfe2hmezmQ1rkty0bo1_400.gif

WCHA this Friday:

Bowling Green vs Michigan Tech

Ferris State vs Minnesota State

If there's a cinderella team that could advance, I think it is Ferris State. CJ Motte is more than capable of stealing two games in a row in this tournament.

The question is whether they can score more than a goal against an other goalie in the tourney. Cj motte is probably the third best goalie I the tourney (maybe 4th).

After CC won the MacNaughton in '95 but missed out on the NCAA's, they actually did change the rule the following year so that the league champ received an auto-bid but IIRC it didn't last long and it didn't really work.  Conference tournaments need to mean something so they kept the auto-bid for that as well which meant there were too many auto-bids and the logistics just didn't work. I think too many at large teams got screwed that way. I'm just basing this off memory so maybe others remember it differently but I think that's basically what happened.  But there's no way that rule will change and it shouldn't. 

Bottom line is the Gophers put themselves in this spot, it's there job to get out of it.  

After CC won the MacNaughton in '95 but missed out on the NCAA's, they actually did change the rule the following year so that the league champ received an auto-bid but IIRC it didn't last long and it didn't really work. Conference tournaments need to mean something so they kept the auto-bid for that as well which meant there were too many auto-bids and the logistics just didn't work. I think too many at large teams got screwed that way. I'm just basing this off memory so maybe others remember it differently but I think that's basically what happened. But there's no way that rule will change and it shouldn't.

Bottom line is the Gophers put themselves in this spot, it's there job to get out of it.

Good post, Mariucci. I agree with you. I'll go as far as saying that Minnesota doesn't have total fault for the position they are in. Big Ten's horrid overall OOC record isn't doing any team a favor in that conference.

Yes, you can go with the "just win" argument but that's easier said than done. There was/is very little room for any team in the Big Ten to stumble. I only see Minnesota getting into the tournament.

Mariucci, you're referring to 1993-1994, not the following season. CC went 23-11-5 but did not make the NCAA tournament after losing to #10 seed Michigan Tech in the first round of the WCHA playoffs.

Yep you're right, it was the 93-94 season.  Jamie Ram stood on his head for MTU ending the WCHA champs season.  

Yep you're right, it was the 93-94 season. Jamie Ram stood on his head for MTU ending the WCHA champs season.

LOL! I wish I had read your post before having to google search trying to figure out who that goalie was. Yea, Ram was amazing, and then Minnesota put up I believe 10 goals on him in the championship game.