SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Volleyball season

Dustin

If Dooley can ever be a reliable server, watch out.  She'd be able to play more, have more blocks and kills, and teams seem to get on runs when she's out of the lineup for a designated server.

E Wash was better than I thought.  They have some hitters with height.

Anna Pioske didn't play much and apparently very well.  Fontes played admirably in her place.  Is Pioske hurt?

Good question but I don't think so on Pioske. Looked like Pryor sat her after an uninspiring first set. Unless she's being nagged by an unknown injury and that's why she was out.

There were reports that nagging injuries have bothered her.  She doesn't seem like the same hitter she was as a freshman.  Maybe it would be best if she rested and healed.

Both Pioske and Robinson had ice on their shoulder after the South Dakota game.  I really think it's affecting Robinson's power.  She wasn't doing that well last night either, until her back row play started to save a few balls, and that translated into her being better offensely.  On a side note, my wife and I sat lower down than we usually do because attendance was a little light, and happened to sit right next to Nikki Husfeldt's parents.  They were great to visit with, and pointed some of the other girls' parents, too.  Her mom said that Nikki visited other schools, but once she visited UND she fell in love with it, and her parents love it too.  They had no prior connection to UND before Nikki came.  I love stories like that!

UND beats Idaho in 5 sets!! Great job!

Very close game.  UND had 11 aces, and they never have many aces.  Idaho will be hard to beat in Moscow.  Away games in Pocatello, Greeley, Flagstaff, and probably Portland will be tough to win.  Looks like Pioske bounced back had a good game.  She, and Moser, Dooley, and Robinson all had 18 or so pts.

Very close game. UND had 11 aces, and they never have many aces. Idaho will be hard to beat in Moscow. Away games in Pocatello, Greeley, Flagstaff, and probably Portland will be tough to win. Looks like Pioske bounced back had a good game. She, and Moser, Dooley, and Robinson all had 18 or so pts.

Portland comes here. We dont go out there. Weber ISU and Sac St. Are our road crossovers

Current Standings (conference wise)

West

UND 2-0

Mont 2-0

EWU 1-1

Idaho 1-1

MSU 0-2

UNC 0-2

East

ISU 2-0

SUU 2-0

NAU 2-0

SAC 0-2

PSU 0-2

WEB 0-2

Surprised that SUU jumped out to a 2-0 start and also surprised that PSU and UNC are 0-2. 

Games next week

Thurs 10/2

SUU @ EWU

ISU @ SAC

WEB @ PSU

IDAHO @ NAU

Fri 10/3

IDAHO @ EWU

UND @ MONT

UNC @ MSU

Sat 10/4

ISU @ PSU

WEB @ SAC

NAU @ SUU

UND @ MSU

UNC @ MONT

UND and UNC had two very tough common opponents this week. UND could have very well been 0-2 if those other teams would have succeeded in doing to us what they did to UNC.  To UND's credit, thank goodness they didn't.  I watched parts of the UNC-EWU game last night and UNC is balanced experience wise with a very good freshmen who's a lankier version of Dooley.  She has a complex slide move that is unreal.  EWU battled hard to come from behind in the fifth and deciding set aided by some untimely errors by UNC.

Portland comes here. We dont go out there. Weber ISU and Sac St. Are our road crossovers

Forgot that Port St is in the West Division.  Thought it was a N-S alignment.

The overall leader hosts the Big Sky tournament, correct?

The team really needs someone on the right side to be a nearly full-time point contributor.  Right now, we have five positions solidified (with Hart, Husfeldt, Dooley, Robinson, Pioske and Moser subbing) with a sixth spot up for grabs.  

Was at the match on Saturday, what a nail biter! Lately, it seems like we are coming out flat, like we have to drop the first set to get warmed up. It was interesting to see how they fed off of the energy of the crowd.

Hoping we can continue to do well on the road with MT matches this week. Anyone know what they are looking like this year, and how we matchup?

Was at the match on Saturday, what a nail biter! Lately, it seems like we are coming out flat, like we have to drop the first set to get warmed up. It was interesting to see how they fed off of the energy of the crowd.

Hoping we can continue to do well on the road with MT matches this week. Anyone know what they are looking like this year, and how we matchup?

Montana, Mt St, and Weber St look to be the dredges of the Big Sky.  But in a road game, anything can happen.  We should not have lost to NDSU on paper, but we did probably because the crowd factor in reverse.

Both Pioske and Robinson had ice on their shoulder after the South Dakota game.  I really think it's affecting Robinson's power.  She wasn't doing that well last night either, until her back row play started to save a few balls, and that translated into her being better offensely.  On a side note, my wife and I sat lower down than we usually do because attendance was a little light, and happened to sit right next to Nikki Husfeldt's parents.  They were great to visit with, and pointed some of the other girls' parents, too.  Her mom said that Nikki visited other schools, but once she visited UND she fell in love with it, and her parents love it too.  They had no prior connection to UND before Nikki came.  I love stories like that!

I wouldn't read too much into players having ice on their shoulders. It seems rare not to find players walking around post-match with ice on their shoulders and/or knees. Guess it's an occupational hazard of jumping and reaching high (listen to coach when the outsides are getting set - it's REAL common to hear him yelling "reach").

Regrading Pioske against EWU, I wouldn't put too much into that match as well. Everyone has a bad match once in a while. Fortuately UND had someone that could step up and carry the load. And that night is was Fontes. And it was a very nice surprise from the local kid - if she wasn't a little under sized we'd probably see a lot more of her. She definitely needs the ball a little more off the net that Pioske, but did well when the team was in-system.

Anyone hear who won the VB game?

Edit:  Never mind; I see that they don't play until tomorrow night.

There was some action last night in the Big Sky.  Most notably, Idaho swept No. Arizona in Moscow.  Idaho St. and So. Utah also won. 

Standings:

Team    Conf Rec %  Overall Record % Home Road Neutral Streak

North

North Dakota 2-0 1.000 14-5 0.737 6-0 3-2 5-3 W3

Montana 2-0 1.000 2-12 0.143 0-5 2-2 0-5 W2

Idaho 2-1 0.667 6-9 0.400 3-1 1-5 2-3 W1

Eastern Washington 1-1 0.500 5-10 0.333 0-1 3-3 2-6 W1

Northern Colorado 0-2 0.000 7-7 0.500 4-4 0-3 3-0 L2

Montana State 0-2 0.000 3-11 0.214 0-1 0-5 3-5 L5

South

Idaho State 3-0 1.000 9-7 0.563 2-1 2-3 5-3 W6

Southern Utah 2-0 1.000 9-4 0.692 5-0 2-2 2-2 W2