SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 NHL Season

MafiaMan

dynasty shmynasty.  teams that are on  the verge of being called a dynasty don't blow second period leads with a chance to go up 2-0 in a series.  they build on them and go up 2-0, i.e. the redwings of the late 90's and even the islanders of the early 80's.  you have the chance to put a stranglehold on this series and let it slip away and allow a backup goalie to come in and get the win.  good lord.  maybe my expectations are too high. 

dynasty shmynasty.  teams that are on  the verge of being called a dynasty don't blow second period leads with a chance to go up 2-0 in a series.  they build on them and go up 2-0, i.e. the redwings of the late 90's and even the islanders of the early 80's.  you have the chance to put a stranglehold on this series and let it slip away and allow a backup goalie to come in and get the win.  good lord.  maybe my expectations are too high. 

I'd go with that.

Game three 1987 Stanley Cup Finals, Edmonton leads series 2-0 Friday, May 22 Philadelphia Flyers   5 – 3   Edmonton Oilers Spectrum  

Looking to take a convincing 3–0 series lead, Edmonton came out firing, taking a 2–0 lead after one period on goals by Mark Messier and Coffey, then stretching it to 3–0 on Anderson's fluke breakaway goal 1:49 into the second.

With their backs against the wall, the Flyers began a comeback on second-period goals by Murray Craven and Peter Zezel. Early in the third, tallies 17 seconds apart by Scott Mellanby and Brad McCrimmon tied the game, then put the Flyers ahead 4–3. For the remainder of the period, the Flyers gamely kept the Oilers potent offense at bay until Brian Propp's empty-net goal sealed a 5–3 win.

Until this point, no team had ever rebounded from a 3–0 deficit to win a game in the Finals, and the Flyers won their first-ever playoff game after yielding a game's first three goals.

Team has a chance to go up 3 games to 0, and leads the game 3-0.  A 3 games to none lead would be a real stranglehold.  Unless you don't think that the Edmonton Oilers with Wayne Gretzky were a dynasty.  Series ended up going 7 games before Edmonton won.  It was their 3rd Cup in 4 years, they ended up winning 5 in 7 years.

• Upvote 1

dynasty shmynasty. teams that are on the verge of being called a dynasty don't blow second period leads with a chance to go up 2-0 in a series. they build on them and go up 2-0, i.e. the redwings of the late 90's and even the islanders of the early 80's. you have the chance to put a stranglehold on this series and let it slip away and allow a backup goalie to come in and get the win. good lord. maybe my expectations are too high.

1998 Red Wings. Up 3-1 in the Western Conference semi-finals against the Dallas Stars and up 2-1 with under 2:00 left in game 5. Dallas scores with 1:25 left on the clock and Jamie Langenbrunner wins it in OT on a slap shot from center ice. Detroit would eliminate Dallas in game 6 (Osgood rebounds with a ahut-out), win the conference finals, and capture the Stanley Cup.

2002 Red Wings. Detroit loses game 5 of the Western Conference Finals at home to their nemesis, the Colorado Avalanche. Detroit would win game 6 in Denver and send Patrick Roy off into retirement with a 6-0 thumping in game 7 back in Detroit.

Those moments happen - even to dynasties.

dynasty shmynasty. teams that are on the verge of being called a dynasty don't blow second period leads with a chance to go up 2-0 in a series. they build on them and go up 2-0, i.e. the redwings of the late 90's and even the islanders of the early 80's. you have the chance to put a stranglehold on this series and let it slip away and allow a backup goalie to come in and get the win. good lord. maybe my expectations are too high.

Yeah, you're completely delusional.

Also, back in those days the cap was nothing like it is today. I would say these Hawks are as close as you're going to get to a dynasty in this day and age.