SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 NHL Season

MafiaMan

Exactly my point. Ovie's hit (amongst other plays) somehow weren't penalties, but the scuffle at 3:00 left was roughing? The refs had the whistles in the pocket until they realized the game was almost over and wasn't tied.

I don't love that the calls become looser in the playoffs, but everyone knows it and has the opportunity to adapt. But to call it so loose that hits like Ovie's aren't called, but then tighten up right at in the last critical minute and call a pretty soft penalty is annoying.

I hear ya Jim. Be consistent at least.

About the hits on Monday by Kronwall and Ovechkin, I still say put the second official up in the press box during the game. Go with the immediate replay review. 

In Kronwall's case he probably would have gotten 2 and 10 (maybe 5 and 10), but not 60. And Ovechkin would've been called for something. 

In this Kronwall case, it seems like TBL is getting extra benefit out of that non-call. 

I haven't heard that at all. He sure didn't sound like a coach who was coming back to Detroit next year though, did he?

I've come across it on the USCHO fan forum once and awhile about some Michigan fan talking about how Babcock is replacing Red. I didn't hear anything from Babcock.

Places Mike Babcock might go:

1.  Detroit.   With a couple missing pieces and a bounce or two ....

2.  Toronto.   The biggest pile of money in all of hockey.

3.  Edmonton.   A chance to build it from scratch.

4.  San Jose.   Money and perfect weather.

5. through 10.   NHL.

11.  Hockey Canada.

12. through 40.  CHL to GM and coach and perhaps own.

41. through 100.   Europe.

101.  Michigan.

1. Detroit. With a couple missing pieces and a bounce or two ....

2. Toronto. The biggest pile of money in all of hockey.

3. Edmonton. A chance to build it from scratch.

4. San Jose. Money and perfect weather.

5. through 10. NHL.

11. Hockey Canada.

12. through 40. CHL to GM and coach and perhaps own.

41. through 100. Europe.

101. Michigan.

Michigan..........."So you're saying there's a chance".

• Upvote 1

1. Detroit. With a couple missing pieces and a bounce or two ....

2. Toronto. The biggest pile of money in all of hockey.

3. Edmonton. A chance to build it from scratch.

4. San Jose. Money and perfect weather.

5. through 10. NHL.

11. Hockey Canada.

12. through 40. CHL to GM and coach and perhaps own.

41. through 100. Europe.

101. Michigan.

If he was going to stay in Detroit, they'd have already had Babcock sign an extension.

I need to start by saying I think Babcock is the best proven coach available *.   As a Blackhawks fan, I realize I'm obligated to hate everything about the Winged Whell, but have to make an exception today.

The guy wins wherever he goes ... and there's a reason Hockey Canada picked him for the last 2 Olympics, where he delivered 2 golds.  

Michigan..........."So you're saying there's a chance".

LOLZ. Yes Harry, there's a chance.

But really, he can get more money and fewer rules anywhere but NCAA.    It would only be if he loves that phase of player development.

If he was going to stay in Detroit, they'd have already had Babcock sign an extension.

Excellent point.   Do you think its about more than just money?  For example, Babcock wants more control over player selection and development - to be GM?  I have no insight into Detroit's motives.  Just puzzled about why he hasn't signed.

I don't think Babcock goes to a young team in the rebuilding process (i.e. Edmonton). 

The one I just heard that almost makes sense: If Anaheim doesn't advance this year ... 

Anaheim  ... would they toss out Boudreau, who got them #1 West seed?  

If not NHL, I think the lure of a senior role at Hockey Canada might be calling, with the opportunity to influence a generation of players, coaches, officials. 

* I do think there are excellent young less-proven coaches out there.  Mike Yeo is one.  

Anaheim  ... would they toss out Boudreau, who got them #1 West seed?  

It was the topic of conversation on NHL Radio (XM 218) this morning when Denny Potvin was on with their morning guys. Yeah, I was a little surprised by it.