SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 NHL Season

MafiaMan

Bush league play by Ovechkin. The Penguins aren't goons for retaliating against dirty play. Goons are instigators, which is a complete 180 from what the Penguins are all about. The Penguins have never been known as a team that likes to play that Boston/Philly style of dirty play, but at the same time they won't allow themselves to be bullied either. To call them goons for refusing to be bullied is ignorant to put it mildly.

Well 2 Penguins players tried to fight Ovechkin on the next faceoff, so were those two players goon's or not?

Hopefully he will help the Panthers beat out Boston for the 8th and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

Kudos to Panthers management for making a deal to try to help the club get into the playoffs. In a day and age where NBA teams are tanking games to secure draft picks, I find this approach rather refreshing.

• Upvote 1

Kudos to Panthers management for making a deal to try to help the club get into the playoffs. In a day and age where NBA teams are tanking games to secure draft picks, I find this approach rather refreshing.

NBA and NHL are pretty different though. Much more parity in hockey. An 8 seed has a legitimate chance at winning the Stanley cup. I don't think that's true in the NBA. You're better off finishing with a top 5 pick than making the playoffs as a 7 or 8. The tanking is embarrassing but kind of the smart thing to do. Pray you can sign a star or draft one.

The draft is another thing. Look at the red wings. Their best players are late round draft picks. You're not likely to find a star in basketball even in the late first round.