SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 NHL Season

MafiaMan

The Arizona Coyotes are bidding on the 2018 World Junior Championships and a Frozen Four.

bd26f181dd37bdfb61b42bbc50804cf7_normal. Kevin Allen @ByKevinAllen · 3h 3 hours ago

Just told the Arizona Coyotes are bidding for the 2018 WJC and are planning to bid for a future Frozen Four.

Detroit is also wanting to host the 2018 World Junior Championships and Buffalo want to host again.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/hockey/juniors/2015/02/05/world-junior-championships-2018-nhl-detroit-buffalo-pittsburgh-florida/22920031/

Get the World Junior Championships back at the Ralph and the second arena could be Scheels Arena.

A F4 @ Jobing Arena would be great. Nice rink in nice area of PHX.....and golf!

ESPN's 30 for 30 episode this Sunday is "Of Miracles and Men." The preview asks the question "what if...the miracle we remember is the game they want to forget." I bet it'll be interesting.

Did you happen to watch this?  I DVR'd it and late last night got about halfway through but it was waaay too late and it was time to go to bed.  I'll be watching later this week.  Curious to hear your thoughts if you saw it.

Fetisov went through a lot of crap to be the first to be granted to leave the Soviet Army and basically become a free man and play in the NHL. Could of defected and didn't earlier. Opened the door for everyone else by waiting.  Have a lot of respect for the guy. And Tarasov made Soviet hockey. What a great coach and a guy with a huge heart. Unorthodox training methods but they worked. Great documentary.

Fetisov went through a lot of crap to be the first to be granted to leave the Soviet Army and basically become a free man and play in the NHL. Could of defected and didn't earlier. Opened the door for everyone else by waiting.  Have a lot of respect for the guy. And Tarasov made Soviet hockey. What a great coach and a guy with a huge heart. Unorthodox training methods but they worked. Great documentary.

I thought the doc. was incredible. It was amazing to see the Soviet's redefine a style of hockey. Off the ice their workouts were extreme, very impressive, probably way ahead of its time. It's funny though, with that advantage they didn't play a gritty game and the Russians still have a tendency to not, which has resulted in big losses imo throughout international play.

Still crazy to see USA beat the Russians in that game. Hell, the Russians probably could have won 19 of 20 if they played a 20 game series.

I thought the doc. was incredible. It was amazing to see the Soviet's redefine a style of hockey. Off the ice their workouts were extreme, very impressive, probably way ahead of its time. It's funny though, with that advantage they didn't play a gritty game and the Russians still have a tendency to not, which has resulted in big losses imo throughout international play.

Still crazy to see USA beat the Russians in that game. Hell, the Russians probably could have won 19 of 20 if they played a 20 game series.

Per Herb Brooks:

Great moments... are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can! Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it.

So that would make it 18 of 20 in a 20 game series! :whistling:  ;)

Per Herb Brooks:

Great moments... are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can! Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it.

So that would make it 18 of 20 in a 20 game series! :whistling:  ;)

Herb was choosing his words carefully, realistically it was probably more like 98-99 out of 100.  

• Upvote 1

Did you happen to watch this? I DVR'd it and late last night got about halfway through but it was waaay too late and it was time to go to bed. I'll be watching later this week. Curious to hear your thoughts if you saw it.

DVR'd it...watching it tonight or tomorrow night.

Two things I have heard and am looking to verify:

#1) Fetisov has not much good to say about Tikhonov

#2) Sergei Fedorov was looked upon as a traitor for leaving the UCKA (pronounced sess-ka) hockey team and defecting. The acronym stands for Central Sports Club Army.

ESPN's 30 for 30 episode this Sunday is "Of Miracles and Men." The preview asks the question "what if...the miracle we remember is the game they want to forget." I bet it'll be interesting.

I just watched it today (DVR) and thought it was great. I loved when they asked the one player of he saw the movie Miracle and he said why, we didn't win. Lots of red tape (no pun intended) just to get out of the Soviet Union and play in the NHL.