SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

As I mentioned a few days ago, here is the best plan: win the game next year, and buyout the 2019 game. I would gladly donate to that cause. UND would have all the leverage at that point, and FU would be in meltdown mode.

I disagree. Win next year, and win in 2019. Why should we be labeled with Idaho State, Central Arkansas, and Montana State. Buying out games could hurt UND as other schools would hesitate scheduling us.

The question was asked during the Bison presser. A reporter asked if the possibility for future games including a game in GF were "on or off the table." Jeremy Jorgenson's (NDSU media person) answer was "off" and that was it. No explanation or further questioning about it.

Win both games, then schedule someone else, especially if JJ and NDSU wants another game in Fargo. Do a H/H with them but the first game is in GF with a 300k buyout take it or leave it. If they leave it oh well.

Of course it is, NDSU is at home.  Why the hell would they buy out their own home game?    :silly:

We could spend all day here crowdsourcing the possibilities as to why they would do that.

You well know the buyout is an insurance policy in the event they do exercise one of those options.

We don't look at it and say, "well, based on what we know today they are unlikely to buy it out, so we don't really need the buyout to be higher." 

Or at least I wouldn't, apparently BF does.

Where did you hear no discussion of a third game?

There were other quotes I heard during radio interviews, but this pretty much sums up their attitude.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/college-football-return-rivalry-doesnt-seem-excite-ndsu

“We didn’t feel any pressure to schedule this game,” said Jeremy Jorgenson, NDSU’s director of broadcasting. “It helps us fill 2015. It helps us get a start on 2019. That’s the way we’re looking at it. It’s a good business decision for the athletic department. I wouldn’t look into it further than that.

“There weren’t a lot of options out there for us for 2015. This helps us fill 2015. Scheduling out is a two-year out, minimum, process. This process needed finality.”

Both contests — Sept. 19, 2015, and Sept. 7, 2019 — will be played in the Fargodome, ending a 12-year hiatus of the rivalry. Jorgenson said that potential games in Grand Forks are “off the table.”

We could spend all day here crowdsourcing the possibilities as to why they would do that.

You well know the buyout is an insurance policy in the event they do exercise one of those options.

We don't look at it and say, "well, based on what we know today they are unlikely to buy it out, so we don't really need the buyout to be higher." 

Or at least I wouldn't, apparently BF does.

What options?  There is not one other option that makes them more money than a home game.  A home game they can raise the ticket prices for, also.

What options?  There is not one other option that makes them more money than a home game.  A home game they can raise the ticket prices for, also.

Simply because you and I believe it unlikely does not mean you allow them a lower buyout.

edit: Especially when they were bluffing their hand the entire time.

“There weren’t a lot of options out there for us for 2015. This helps us fill 2015. Scheduling out is a two-year out, minimum, process. This process needed finality.”

Jorgenson said there was urgency to get it done before the season started.

“We didn’t want it to be a distraction,” he said. “We wanted finality this week — 2015 was becoming a serious situation. Scheduling is filling up faster and faster now.”

Can anybody set up a poker game with BF?

There were other quotes I heard during radio interviews, but this pretty much sums up their attitude.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/college-football-return-rivalry-doesnt-seem-excite-ndsu

“We didn’t feel any pressure to schedule this game,” said Jeremy Jorgenson, NDSU’s director of broadcasting. “It helps us fill 2015. It helps us get a start on 2019. That’s the way we’re looking at it. It’s a good business decision for the athletic department. I wouldn’t look into it further than that.

Both contests — Sept. 19, 2015, and Sept. 7, 2019 — will be played in the Fargodome, ending a 12-year hiatus of the rivalry. Jorgenson said that potential games in Grand Forks are “off the table.”

I've talked with someone near the FU staff and that quote only applies until the new AD is hired. So technically JJ was correct but not because FU had no intentions of not scheduling another game, it's because it will be up to the new AD to be involved with the next round of talks.

I've talked with someone near the FU staff and that quote only applies until the new AD is hired. So technically JJ was correct but not because FU had no intentions of not scheduling another game, it's because it will be up to the new AD to be involved with the next round of talks.

I don't think any reasonable person would have construed the quote to mean permanently.

You've confirmed what many of us were upset about: there were none and are no discussions of a home game for UND with this deal.  Not even an informal one.

I will say that under normal circumstances I wouldn't like to give up so much in negotiations based on the hope that a future AD will treat you more equitably, but given how these "negotiations" (i hesitate to call them that since it resembles little more than a hammer and nail) went with GT, an as of yet unnamed AD could hardly treat you worse.

I don't think any reasonable person would have construed the quote to mean permanently.

You've confirmed what many of us were upset about: there were none and are no discussions of a home game for UND with this deal. Not even an informal one.

I will say that under normal circumstances I wouldn't like to give up so much in negotiations based on the hope that a future AD will treat you more equitably, but given how these "negotiations" (i hesitate to call them that since it resembles little more than a hammer and nail) went with GT, an as of yet unnamed AD could hardly treat you worse.

There were discussions, and a home and home wasn't happening. This was a take it or leave it deal. The coaching staff wanted the game on the schedule, the deal was made.

The same reasons that Bubba and staff wanted the game are the same reasons a lot if FU fans are upset any deal was made. Out new staff doesn't have the "oh shucks" attitude of the old one. They were tired of the same old negotiating games and did what they felt they had to do in order to get the scheduling started.

Do you honestly believe a new AD is going to come in and cancel the series? It will be one of the first questions he is asked after taking the position.

There were discussions, and a home and home wasn't happening. This was a take it or leave it deal. The coaching staff wanted the game on the schedule, the deal was made.

The same reasons that Bubba and staff wanted the game are the same reasons a lot if FU fans are upset any deal was made. Out new staff doesn't have the "oh shucks" attitude of the old one. They were tired of the same old negotiating games and did what they felt they had to do in order to get the scheduling started.

Do you honestly believe a new AD is going to come in and cancel the series? It will be one of the first questions he is asked after taking the position.

Again, you are verifying the point which angers many here-this was a stand alone take it or leave it deal-not a series.  Unless there are "series" played in college athletics which entail one team playing on the road, there is no "series" to cancel here.

That's the point.

So does this mean any potential playoff games between UND and NDSU awarded to Grand Forks will be forfeited by NDSU? :silly:

The bolded red text is what I have been trying to tell people, but people don't want to hear it.  FU will NEVER set foot in the Alerus Center EVER again, unless it's a post-season game that they don't control (the NCAA controls that).  And Faison, by caving in, has solidified this type of thinking: Since NDSU is the current 3 time defending FCS champions, we are just supposed to give them whatever they want, whenever they want it without any thought to the long-term consequences.  Well, I call BS on that line of thinking and I hope others will join me in calling BS on it.

When is this institution going to start acting like one of two four-year research universities in North Dakota and stop acting like a glorified junior college who has to go begging hat-in-hand for games with a school that is in the same division (FCS) as itself?  Honestly, if Faison ever agrees to another one-sided deal like this with FU in any sport, he will have lost my confidence in his ability to do his job, a confidence I have had since he was hired 5 years ago.

• Upvote 1

As much as I don't like it, NDSU had handled this like a boss. They have ignored UND to the point that UND has practically become irrelevant. Brilliant move, in my opinion. UND jumps up and down ranting and raving "Play us! Play us! We're FCS!" and NDSU replies back "meh." Then, just to tweak UND some more, NDSU schedules the series with Weber State - and UND (the fans here in particular) predictably blows a head gasket.

Bubba seems smart enough to know that the only way to fix the Muss-mess is to take on Goliath - on whatever terms - and defeat him.

That is my point.....they are NOT "a boss" of anything.  They are in the same division (FCS) as us (as much as they would like to believe otherwise).  They have close to the same enrollment as us.  They are a four-year research university, like us.  But we are just supposed to be good little boys and girls and go along with whatever they want.  I will say this one more time, because it is important: NDSU is NOT an FBS program.  They do not deserve this type of brown nosing, especially from their long-time, in-state rival.  This is the worst decision Faison has ever made.  It's not even close.

From what I understand, Faison was not going to accept this offer but Bubba gave him the go ahead because he wanted NDSU on the schedule.  Calculated risk by Bubba.  Can very quickly remove a lot of things that can currently only be proven on paper very quickly.  Guessing he's running into that hurdle more than he though.  Hopefully it pays off.

What would have been interesting to see is if GT was still in Fargo, if he would have actually allowed this to be accepted or would have once again changed his offer.  Not sure he thought UND would accept this one, guess his final bluff got called even though it ends up pretty favorably for NDSU.  Hearing there are a lot of FU donors that are not pleased despite the favorable terms.

And the comments that UND somehow leaked this when it was Jamal Spencer (Valley News Live in Fargo, NDSU sideline reporter) and Lee Timmerman (KFYR in Bismarck, NDSU color commentator) who were the first two to put anything out there is just laughable.

From what I understand, Faison was not going to accept this offer but Bubba gave him the go ahead because he wanted NDSU on the schedule.  Calculated risk by Bubba.  Can very quickly remove a lot of things that can currently only be proven on paper very quickly.  Guessing he's running into that hurdle more than he though.  Hopefully it pays off.

What would have been interesting to see is if GT was still in Fargo, if he would have actually allowed this to be accepted or would have once again changed his offer.  Not sure he thought UND would accept this one, guess his final bluff got called.  While NDSU is getting the better end of this deal, hearing there are a lot of FU donors that are not pleased despite the favorable terms.

That first game in the Fargodome with be the biggest collection of rubes and posers of bisssson fans ever!

That first game in the Fargodome with be the biggest collection of rubes and posers of bisssson fans ever!

More than they have now? The "Herd" will thin out when their reign is over and they are rolling out 6-5 records.

• Upvote 1

More than they have now? The "Herd" will thin out when their reign is over and they are rolling out 6-5 records.

You and I have made some hefty predections-here's hoping Iowa State doesn't play us for fools!

On the plus side, most Bison fans in attendance should be able to answer the tailgate-party question "who is NDSU playing today?".

So does this mean any potential playoff games between UND and NDSU awarded to Grand Forks will be forfeited by NDSU? :silly:

The bolded red text is what I have been trying to tell people, but people don't want to hear it.  FU will NEVER set foot in the Alerus Center EVER again, unless it's a post-season game that they don't control (the NCAA controls that).  And Faison, by caving in, has solidified this type of thinking: Since NDSU is the current 3 time defending FCS champions, we are just supposed to give them whatever they want, whenever they want it without any thought to the long-term consequences.  Well, I call BS on that line of thinking and I hope others will join me in calling BS on it.

When is this institution going to start acting like one of two four-year research universities in North Dakota and stop acting like a glorified junior college who has to go begging hat-in-hand for games with a school that is in the same division (FCS) as itself?  Honestly, if Faison ever agrees to another one-sided deal like this with FU in any sport, he will have lost my confidence in his ability to do his job, a confidence I have had since he was hired 5 years ago.

Faison bent over for the Bison - he needs to go.  

• Upvote 1

...and Toledo's as FBS as Florida State...

So you really believe that NDSU has somehow "earned" the right to be treated as a "quasi-FBS" program?  Sorry, but that is simply unacceptable and if UND takes that posture, then God help us all.  If turning down Talyor's final "offer" means we don't play them ever again, so be it.  Instead, Faison caved in and made us look like a joke.  That isn't good for recruiting, selling tickets or anything else for that matter.