SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

I do blame him for the the bs song and dance that's been going on in these "negotiations" though.

I think this is what most fans (including me) have a problem with. If you don't want to play UND again just say it.

The public believes the ac football program is light years ahead. I doubt Gene wants to give UND the opportunity to show the public the gap isn't as wide as the public believes it to be.

Was I watching the wrong University of North Dakota team play football last fall or am I missing something here?

This thread is 23 pages long in less than a week, and only a couple of posts have touched on the irony of Taylor's actions, while most of it has been yet another measuring contest between UND and NDSU. Bison fans saying just take the one game to restart the series are being at least a little self-important in thinking the Bison and GT are the only ones who can determine if there is a game to be played and where It will be played. They are overlooking the end result of what their actions will bring...

When UND and NDSU finally do meet on the field under the scenario that Taylor is heading toward, it will be in the playoffs. When UND reaches the playoffs, they will have a significantly better team than they have had since whenever Taylor started this song and dance about home and home; then 2 for 0; and now 1 for 0. The window of humiliating the Sioux on the football team has been the past 3 years, but looks like it is starting to close with the coaching and philosophy changes that are being discussed in other threads on this board. Who can say that by the time UND reaches the playoffs, that the game will absolutely not be held in Grand Forks. iirc, unless it is a first round game that is awarded on the basis of who will pay the NCAA more for the opportunity to host, doesn't the game go to the home of the higher seed? Somewhere in the playoffs, that happens, and if both teams are good enough, they may not meet until later rounds.

So here is my hypothetical situation: UND makes the playoffs in 2015, but goes to play Sam Houston and don't make it out of the first round. NDSU, meanwhile has growing pains under Klieman and doesn't win the MVFC in 2015 or 2016. In 2016 UNI and SDSU finish 1 - 2, and NDSU 3rd. Meanwhile UND finishes 2nd in the Big Sky. So, both teams make the post-season and UND is seeded higher. Both teams win opening round games, and they meet in the second round, but because UND is 2nd in the Big Sky while NDSU is 3rd in the MVFC, UND gets the home game in the second round of the playoffs on the basis of seeding. Wouldn't that make heads explode in Fargo!?!? Taylor would be out of a job faster than you can say "he should'a", no matter which team wins on the field because he played these petty games and cost Fargo the first home game in a home and home by being so vindictive.

Jus' thinking out loud, so to speak.

This thread is 23 pages long in less than a week, and only a couple of posts have touched on the irony of Taylor's actions, while most of it has been yet another measuring contest between UND and NDSU. Bison fans saying just take the one game to restart the series are being at least a little self-important in thinking the Bison and GT are the only ones who can determine if there is a game to be played and where It will be played. They are overlooking the end result of what their actions will bring...

When UND and NDSU finally do meet on the field under the scenario that Taylor is heading toward, it will be in the playoffs. When UND reaches the playoffs, they will have a significantly better team than they have had since whenever Taylor started this song and dance about home and home; then 2 for 0; and now 1 for 0. The window of humiliating the Sioux on the football team has been the past 3 years, but looks like it is starting to close with the coaching and philosophy changes that are being discussed in other threads on this board. Who can say that by the time UND reaches the playoffs, that the game will absolutely not be held in Grand Forks. iirc, unless it is a first round game that is awarded on the basis of who will pay the NCAA more for the opportunity to host, doesn't the game go to the home of the higher seed? Somewhere in the playoffs, that happens, and if both teams are good enough, they may not meet until later rounds.

So here is my hypothetical situation: UND makes the playoffs in 2015, but goes to play Sam Houston and don't make it out of the first round. NDSU, meanwhile has growing pains under Klieman and doesn't win the MVFC in 2015 or 2016. In 2016 UNI and SDSU finish 1 - 2, and NDSU 3rd. Meanwhile UND finishes 2nd in the Big Sky. So, both teams make the post-season and UND is seeded higher. Both teams win opening round games, and they meet in the second round, but because UND is 2nd in the Big Sky while NDSU is 3rd in the MVFC, UND gets the home game in the second round of the playoffs on the basis of seeding. Wouldn't that make heads explode in Fargo!?!? Taylor would be out of a job faster than you can say "he should'a", no matter which team wins on the field because he played these petty games and cost Fargo the first home game in a home and home by being so vindictive.

Jus' thinking out loud, so to speak.

Playoff game goes to the higher seeded team...unless neither team is seeded. Then the Bison would host because NDSU would almost be a guarantee to bid more than UND. NDSU....will be hosting a lot of playoff games in the future....just like Montana. Moneymaker games for the NCAA.

Everything about that stereotype just pisses me off to no end...

My brother-in-law and my sister both attended NDSU and graduated with degrees in architecture. They currently run a very successful business in the TC west metro and have immense talent in that field. They put their education to use not only for their business, but also in remodeling their own house as well. In addition, both served their country quite admirably as service members.

My dad also went to NDSU and graduated with a degree in engineering. He worked a short time for Caterpillar in Illinois, then took his skill-set to use for the United States Navy on the USS Epperson in the late 1960's, before returning to North Dakota to take over the family ranch from my grandfather. While you may not consider him a "businessman" by your definition, I admire him like no one else. On any given day, he could fix five-ten miles of fence, keep 300+ cattle safe under his watch in the harshest of winters, and take apart almost any piece of farm machinery and fix it himself, all while providing and caring for his family, not to mention making some time to watch his kid play some basketball in grade and high school. I don't know how he ever found the time for it all...

I can promise you this: If your car is ever out of gas, your tire is flat, or you need some general assistance on Highway 85 about 23 miles north of Belfield, he will GUARANTEED offer to help you in any way he can -- and won't say a word about your University of North Dakota license plate frame and Fighting Sioux Indian-head sticker in your back window. He'll no doubt turn down any money you'd like to offer him in appreciation, wish you well, and send you on your merry way. You can drive away mumbling all you like about NDSU ranch hillbillies...he won't care at all.

I bet I could find dozens of UND law school students or graduates who would sooner book a summer crabbing in Alaska as opposed to work three months on my dad's ranch. The very notion that every graduate of NDSU who chooses farming or ranching as a career is somehow worthy of scorn and contempt from UND graduates like yourself makes my blood boil. In general, your commentary is "a joke." Anyone who doesn't believe that North Dakota consists of two very fine universities in UND and NDSU needs to have their head examined.

Mafia Man:

I believe there's far more scorn toward UND from NDSU grads that it is the other way. A number of NDSU grads, including some relatives, would not support their child's decision to go to UND as they hate it so much. Your father is worldly and enlightened enough to allow you the freedom to go to UND. Many NDSU alumni would disown their children before they allowed it, included some bison trolls here. The intensity of hate coming from NDSU is truly contemptible. Your father was open enough to overcome it.

http://www.prairiebi...ublisher_ID/46/

http://colleges.usne...s/spp+50/page 4

If you won't take my word for it, then read some other sources.

You can't tell me you honestly believe your better off going to NDSU if you want to get into commercial aviation. The aviation network is far, far more extensive at UND than at NDSU, so simply receiving your private pilot license and "working your way up" is not a very educated way of advancing one's aviation career.

UND's business school is nationally significant. In fact, many aspiring farmers and ranchers consider UND because of this. I personally know North Dakota farmers who went to UND over NDSU. They went the "business route" at UND and are very successful in the agricultural field right here in North Dakota.

UND's M.D. and law degree programs are substantial, but so is UND's nursing program relative to NDSU.

All in all, it doesn't sound like you want to acknowledge UND's national academic rankings.

I have no issues with UNDs standing. Its a very fine school. It was you who was putting NDSU down. So who wasnt recognizing a schools academic standing?

http://www.prairiebi...ublisher_ID/46/

http://colleges.usne...s/spp+50/page 4

If you won't take my word for it, then read some other sources.

You can't tell me you honestly believe your better off going to NDSU if you want to get into commercial aviation. The aviation network is far, far more extensive at UND than at NDSU, so simply receiving your private pilot license and "working your way up" is not a very educated way of advancing one's aviation career.

UND's business school is nationally significant. In fact, many aspiring farmers and ranchers consider UND because of this. I personally know North Dakota farmers who went to UND over NDSU. They went the "business route" at UND and are very successful in the agricultural field right here in North Dakota.

UND's M.D. and law degree programs are substantial, but so is UND's nursing program relative to NDSU.

All in all, it doesn't sound like you want to acknowledge UND's national academic rankings.

One of North Dakota's most successful businessman started and grew his business right here in North Dakota with home grown talent, many of whom were NDSU graduates. That businessman is Doug Burgum, also an NDSU grad.

NDSU is a top 100 National Research University, an accomplishment UND has never achieved.

UND and NDSU are both very good universities. I have never said UND wasn't a good school, however many UND supporters can't admit to NDSU's strengths.

Ok, kingranch doesn't think so.

Whether or not Taylor gets fired, this could happen. :D

If UND is seeded higher and hosted NDSU in the playoffs it would take a lot more for them to fire Taylor. NCAA sanctions and total collapse by the football and basketball teams would get him fired before your scenario.

Playoff game goes to the higher seeded team...unless neither team is seeded. Then the Bison would host because NDSU would almost be a guarantee to bid more than UND. NDSU....will be hosting a lot of playoff games in the future....just like Montana. Moneymaker games for the NCAA.

Incorrect; not under the crash and burn via Klieman scenario proposed by some.

I have no issues with UNDs standing. Its a very fine school. It was you who was putting NDSU down. So who wasnt recognizing a schools academic standing?

My comments establish UND as a greater overall academic institution relative to NDSU; in no way did I "put NDSU down" and try to say it is an incapable university. As I said above, both institutions play an important role academically within the state of North Dakota. With that said, UND is more influential nationally, making it superior in my opinion.

One of North Dakota's most successful businessman started and grew his business right here in North Dakota with home grown talent, many of whom were NDSU graduates. That businessman is Doug Burgum, also an NDSU grad.

NDSU is a top 100 National Research University, an accomplishment UND has never achieved.

UND and NDSU are both very good universities. I have never said UND wasn't a good school, however many UND supporters can't admit to NDSU's strengths.

In terms of national research, UND is considerably more diverse and accomplished than NDSU. UND is a public research university entrenched in several academic disciplines; I'm afraid far more than NDSU. UND has been recognized top 100 in several areas, including rural medicine, petroleum engineering, and graduate business.

Having a little reading comprehension trouble tonight, Johnboy?

So you are saying that the Bison, if they finish 3rd in the MVFC, would be seeded higher than the Sioux if UND finished 2nd in the Big Sky. Or are you saying that neither team would be seeded since they didn't win their respective conferences? Both E Washington and Montana were seeded last year, so if UND finishes 2nd in the conference this hypothetical scenario can happen. Unless, of course you contend that the Bison would be seeded higher following a third place finish in their conference to UND's second place conference finish in their conference. I would disagree with that. I am at least giving NDSU credit that they will make the playoffs if they finish 3rd, SDSU didn't.

And if it did happen, I still think Taylor would be very uncomfortable after not taking advantage of UND's down years and UND getting the first game of the series in D-I at the Alerus.

The bottom line is still that Taylor has let the most advantageous years go by. UND will become more competitive before the series resumes and NDSU won't continue to win FCS championships until the end of time. When it happens and if it's in the playoffs, Taylor does not necessarily have the final say at that time.

Why does NDSU hold all the cards? UND doesn't seem to have a problem filling a schedule. UND isn't in any kind of desperate situation. Far from that. It seems like both schools have cards to play. NDSU should have a huge card in that they more than likely would beat UND . Beating a rival should be fun. UND has a card in that it is a game that would create a lot of excitement even though they would get beat. In the big picture there is an extremely small chance that NDSU would be given a game by UND. It would seem like this would be a no lose for NDSU. Obviously Taylor does not want to risk playing the game in the slight chance they would lose the game. NDSU administration isn't as confident as a lot of people think they should be.

Exactly. When NDSU has a problem filling a schedule they go to schools like Ferris State, a DII school, which by the way showed the true colors of Marcus Williams....burned twice.....or were his true colors shown in the fake signatures? Not quite sure on this one.

NDSU is a top 100 National Research University ...

... when measured by spending.

What you're neglecting to mention is that NDSU, as a Merrill land grant university, can apply for many research grants that UND, not a land grant, can not apply for. So NDSU has access to more research dollars to spend to achieve the ranking you point out. Drop out the land grant research dollars and do the comparison and it gets a little more interesting.

What you're neglecting to mention is that NDSU, as a Merrill land grant university, can apply for many research grants that UND, not a land grant, can not apply for. So NDSU has access to more research dollars to spend to achieve the ranking you point out. Drop out the land grant research dollars and do the comparison and it gets a little more interesting.

#buttfootball

Nebraska was kicked out of the prestigious AAU because their research was little more than agriculture based. AAU wanted more broad based research: medical, physics, chemistry, biologics. UND has that with UAS, energy, and medical.

Nebraska was kicked out of the prestigious AAU because their research was little more than agriculture based. AAU wanted more broad based research: medical, physics, chemistry, biologics. UND has that with UAS, energy, and medical.

False. The reason they were kicked out of the AAU is because that organization considered some of their research dollars to be awarded from grants they deemed non-competitive. It had nothing to do with 'broad-based' research.

Like what?

It amazes me the obsession that ndsu trolls have with UND. Especially when they constantly refer to UND as a non-rival. While at Oregon the interest by Oregon State trolls was nowhere near the obsession they have in Fargo. By the way, I noticed there is a huge UND footprint in Fargo just blocks away from the ndsu campus. It's UND medical teaching facility at the Fargo V.A. A huge UND banner on the west wall. Thank you UND for supporting our veterans.

• Upvote 1

Both schools are great, both alumni bases raise a ton of money and both schools have academic and athletic accomplishments to be proud about. Saying that isn't so hard, not sure why it is so tough for other people. I've never understood why people feel the need to tear each other down academically, it is just stupid.

As for the game, be mad at Gene but he is only doing what he thinks is best for NDSU. That is his job and he has done it well. Take his offer, don't take it, whatever I don't care. Both schools have too much pride to give any ground so the only way this happens is a playoff game.

By the same token, Brian is doing what he believes to be in UND's best interests. I also agree it's ridiculous for supporters of either school to try to tear down the academic/athletic achievements of the other. Let's be thankful we have two outstanding research universities in the state. Without either the state would surely be the loser. I don't expect the clamor to abate. Both schools have a lot of pride and numerous good reasons for engineering that pride. Oh, well, this, too, shall pass.