SiouxSports.com Forum

Jordan Schmaltz - sup?

siouxnami

During the Friday game there was clearly something very wrong with Schmaltz, he made a lazy icing that led to the 2nd and ultimately deflating goal. Further there were a number of pucks that he did not skate to very hard Friday and Saturday. On Friday he was one of a handful of players the looked like they gave up.

Saturday he looked severely hobbled. Again not skating for the puck. Even his shot was off (yes I know he scored a goal). He also passed up a number of opportunities to drive the net or slap a 1 timer.

I realize he is maybe the most talented player on the team, but we have 8 legit defensemen and I wonder if his presence will be a liability against Wisconsin who probably will have the best forwards we have played this year.

I feel like Schmaltz could be our best player when he wants to be. But in my opinion, it's not very often that he wants to be.

At this time of year, more players than not are battling injuries that we don't know about. Knight with a broken hand (which makes his face off dominance that much more impressive), Green with his shoulder, etc. I'm willing to give Schmaltz the benefit of the doubt on this one.

During the Friday game there was clearly something very wrong with Schmaltz, he made a lazy icing that led to the 2nd and ultimately deflating goal. Further there were a number of pucks that he did not skate to very hard Friday and Saturday. On Friday he was one of a handful of players the looked like they gave up.

Saturday he looked severely hobbled. Again not skating for the puck. Even his shot was off (yes I know he scored a goal). He also passed up a number of opportunities to drive the net or slap a 1 timer.

I realize he is maybe the most talented player on the team, but we have 8 legit defensemen and I wonder if his presence will be a liability against Wisconsin who probably will have the best forwards we have played this year.

I think he's banged up. My bet is a shoulder, hip, or ribs.

I disagree that Wisconsin has the best forwards. Wisconsin has a good top line, but Miami's and St. Lawrence's top lines are more talented IMO. Kerdiles is great, and we need to make him re-think his love of hockey on friday night. Just be obnoxious for him to play against. Nag on him. Nothing outside the lines, not even big physicality- that fires him up...just hook a little, and slash a little, and tug a little, and always be in his space and taking away time. Do that, stay out of the box, and we can win.

I feel like Schmaltz could be our best player when he wants to be. But in my opinion, it's not very often that he wants to be.

This...^^^^^^^^^^^^.

I feel he is the first "non-Sioux" like high end talent Hak has recruited that I can recall. In well over half of the games I have seen him play in he looks and plays totally disinterested. WIth that said he is IMO the most talented player on this year's team.

I noticed when he came off the ice after one of the games this weekend his right wrist was taped up. Don't know if that's anything but could be (hopefully Bucky isn't lurking around to pick up that piece of top secret info)

I have often thought Schmaltz looks like he's lacking a sense of urgency until I started watching Ryan Suter play for the Wild this year. That's pretty much how Suter plays....just gliding around with occasional bits of high energy/activity.

It could just be style and not anything more than that.

He's just a smart smooth player. That can come off as lazy, I like to think he's efficient. This isn't a Brian Lee situation.

Or maybe it is being lazy and disinterested at times that makes some think he is smart and smooth? When he decides to "play", as someone mentioned above, he is head and shoulders the best player on the ice.

As far as Lee goes, he had/has nowhere the overall talent Schmaltz does.

Or maybe it is being lazy and disinterested at times that makes some think he is smart and smooth? When he decides to "play", as someone mentioned above, he is head and shoulders the best player on the ice.

As far as Lee goes, he had/has nowhere the overall talent Schmaltz does.

You don't get picked top ten for no reason. I honestly think Schmaltz's demeanor being so calm makes him come off as possibly lazy.

He's just a smart smooth player. That can come off as lazy, I like to think he's efficient. This isn't a Brian Lee situation.

agreed. he's a soph that will be in the NHL in a few years. i predict he will win league dman of the year next year. well, i guess if he feels like being that player as some have suggested above. unreal

I think he's banged up. My bet is a shoulder, hip, or ribs.

I disagree that Wisconsin has the best forwards. Wisconsin has a good top line, but Miami's and St. Lawrence's top lines are more talented IMO. Kerdiles is great, and we need to make him re-think his love of hockey on friday night. Just be obnoxious for him to play against. Nag on him. Nothing outside the lines, not even big physicality- that fires him up...just hook a little, and slash a little, and tug a little, and always be in his space and taking away time. Do that, stay out of the box, and we can win.

Agreed...Zengerle (sp?) is good too. Mersch (sp?) looks super slow, however he looks as thick as a lineman. Wisconsin's regular season was not that impressive outside the MN sweep. They barely beat OSU and that team was so bad in their own zone (luckily their goalie was solid). If we don't take dumb penalties and we work hard the whole game we'll get lucky. The Badger's goalie did not impress me against OSU.

At this time of year, more players than not are battling injuries that we don't know about. Knight with a broken hand (which makes his face off dominance that much more impressive), Green with his shoulder, etc. I'm willing to give Schmaltz the benefit of the doubt on this one.

There was one year that they had a freshman assigned to helping Prpich on and off with his jersey and equipment. It came out after the season that he couldn't lift his arms above his shoulders.