SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs CC - Saturday

Blackheart

Anyone know what happens if we win tonight then only win once next weekend?

All bad teams; not much bump up by beating any of them, but a big drop down by losing. Win the last 4 has now become win the last 7; one and done the rest of the way. Will see if any bump up occurs if Northeastern and Vermont lose today, but I'd guess they cannot lose to anyone that they will potentially play next weekend.

The product of being in a conference with a terrible non-con record, only SCSU would be a good opponent to play next week, all teams going there will need to autobid to get in.

The product of being in a conference with a terrible non-con record, only SCSU would be a good opponent to play next week, all teams going there will need to autobid to get in.

...which should make for some REALLY fun hockey next weekend, especially from a spectator viewpoint.

Been trying to figure out our issue for awhile...especially on the breakout and the lack of flow.

Hak coaches to prevent the opportunity for other teams to capitalize on your mistakes. He does this by keeping pucks to the outside- at all costs.

Most breakouts are designed to go d to wing to center to wing and to utilize three forward lanes up the ice.

By not using the middle of the ice until you get into the neutral zone, you do eliminate the potential for bad passes into your own slot. However, you also limit your options on the breakout. If I know you wont pass to the middle, I'll just keep pushing you outside.

• Upvote 1

Been trying to figure out our issue for awhile...especially on the breakout and the lack of flow.

Hak coaches to prevent the opportunity for other teams to capitalize on your mistakes. He does this by keeping pucks to the outside- at all costs.

Most breakouts are designed to go d to wing to center to wing and to utilize three forward lanes up the ice.

By not using the middle of the ice until you get into the neutral zone, you do eliminate the potential for bad passes into your own slot. However, you also limit your options on the breakout. If I know you wont pass to the middle, I'll just keep pushing you outside.

Like this train of thought. My wife and I were screaming at the TV all night about how this team has no break out potential with the way they push up the ice.

this team would not be in the postion it is today if it didn't have a tendency to piss away games. IF they would have won just one of these piss away games they would have some breathing room no matter the result of tonights game:

sat Vermont

fri or sat home against SCSU

sat BU

fri SLU

fri night BSU

sat UNO at home

sat WMU

one game can be the difference between moving on or staying home after next weekend. last year Schloss had said that had not UND beaten CC in the springs that sat night in OT they wouldn't have made the dance last season.

and how many times can a team outshoot an opponent by double digits or put up over 40 shots and not score more than 2 goals. this teamhas shown it can hold teams to 3 or less goals it just has a problem scoring three goals.

I've commented on that before, and though it might be a tried and true strategy, it's frustrating. It allows opponents to be all over our wingers on the boards and closes passing lanes for our d, since the first pass is so predictable. That's why our d pass back and forth so much before bringing it up ice. It also gives all their players time to get back on D after a change in possession, so when our forwards to get the puck they have less time and space. I think that's why so many fans think our boys are not working hard--because they don't seem to play with speed on offense and end up having to react too much on defense. They are playing hard, imo, but they are playing within the scheme. When they were forced to open it up the last two nights, they did, and last night they dominated but couldn't bury the puck. These boys care a lot and are working hard, I believe. It's just too tempting for fans who are aware of the number of draft picks on this team to assume that they will win if they hustle, and that is not always the case.

Hak done a fine job and has won a lot of hockey games--as many as any coach the last 10 years, I'd guess. But it's a different game come one-and-done time, and we will see if he can turn that corner.

Hey, don't blame me...I shaved my eyebrows and had a bikini wax done yesterday just like I do every game-day! Can't blame ME this time, Blackheart!

Well the game was not in Yost so I guess you're off the hook. Congrats on the manscaping.

I've commented on that before, and though it might be a tried and true strategy, it's frustrating. It allows opponents to be all over our wingers on the boards and closes passing lanes for our d, since the first pass is so predictable. That's why our d pass back and forth so much before bringing it up ice. It also gives all their players time to get back on D after a change in possession, so when our forwards to get the puck they have less time and space. I think that's why so many fans think our boys are not working hard--because they don't seem to play with speed on offense and end up having to react too much on defense. They are playing hard, imo, but they are playing within the scheme. When they were forced to open it up the last two nights, they did, and last night they dominated but couldn't bury the puck. These boys care a lot and are working hard, I believe. It's just too tempting for fans who are aware of the number of draft picks on this team to assume that they will win if they hustle, and that is not always the case.

Hak done a fine job and has won a lot of hockey games--as many as any coach the last 10 years, I'd guess. But it's a different game come one-and-done time, and we will see if he can turn that corner.

It essentially makes your center a non-factor, which allows them to effectively pressure the puck carrier and jump the wingers while still keeping two d back. It also makes boring hockey.

And FYI, check out how many times the Sioux have went to 3 games in this weekend of playoffs. Also check out how tough the Sioux/CC series have been over the years no matter which team is good or bad or has the better record!

I can't even remember how many times it's happened. Michigan Tech...Mankato...Minnesota...four times in the past ten years? Five?

I wrote quite a bit about this in this article: The First Round Playoff Series: Why Is It So Difficult To Sweep

North Dakota has now gone to a Game 3 six times over the past twelve home ice series.

The previous opponents (and scores), all UND victories:

2013 vs. Michigan Tech: 6-0

2010 vs. Minnesota: 4-1

2008 vs. Michigan Tech: 2-1

2006 vs. MSU-Mankato: 3-0

2003 vs. Denver: 3-2 (OT)

If you're keeping track at home, that's a combined score of 18-4.

Dave

Is FSN picking up the game tonight? The guide says there's a nchc playoff game on midco 639. I know they had the St. Cloud game on last night so they may have just planned on televising the Sunday game for that series but we have the only nchc game tonight.

Is FSN picking up the game tonight? The guide says there's a nchc playoff game on midco 639. I know they had the St. Cloud game on last night so they may have just planned on televising the Sunday game for that series but we have the only nchc game tonight.

World series of poker on.