SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

Summer 2015: FBS votes on new rules that would allow FCS conferences to move up en masse. P5 in favor because they want more G5 games for guarantees and it helps water down the G5. G5 will strongly oppose, but don't have the votes as FBS is now rigged against them.

By Jun 2016: Big Sky teams elect to go FBS or not and files with the NCAA. Teams that don't will go to the WAC. NDSU and SDSU come aboard.

2016 season: 1st year FBS transition

2017 season: 2nd year FBS transition

2018: Full FBS, Idaho football returns to Big Sky

The Big Sky won't be eligible for the college football playoffs or money until 2026. Only existing G5 conferences will get $1 mill per team until that contract is up. The MVC may move up to, but with NMSU and Texas schools like Lamar and Sam Houston. Wichita St probably restarts FB and wants Texas schools for a recruiting base. The CAA probably moves up with Delaware, JMU, Towson, Stony Brook, Albany, UNH and at least two others (maybe Youngstown St and Maine).

You stated on here a timeline that would put the Big Sky in the FBS in 2020.

The way the college football playoffs look now, no one outside of the power 5 conferences is playing for a national title. It was even stated that more then one team from the same conference can make the top four, depending how the committee decides to rank the teams. What I see happening is the power 5 conferences will see strength of schedule mattering more then pervious years. So the power 5 conferences would see it being more beneficial to play other power 5 conference teams then playing the lower level FBS conference teams. Which would in turn have more neutral site game at bigger NFL stadiums greatly benefiting the power 5 conferences, and you know the NCAA loves money.

After seeing who is on the selection committee two name jump out as "why are you on the selection committee", Condoleezza Rice and Steve Wieberg. Rice make absolutely no sense and Wieburg is a former college football reporter, but you'd think a former player, coach, or A.D. would be a better choice then these two.

No playoffs til 2026?? What's the point of moving up.

The probability that any new G5 conference would qualify for one of the four spots is zero.

When the playoffs expand to 16, the payouts will balloon. The NFL keeps expanding the playoffs because they make huge dollars for the networks. Same with college: follow the Benjamins. You never know when you'll have a chance to move to FBS again. It's like the Bakken oil rush: you have to purchase mineral rights with a group of investors and pay big dollars to drill to have a chance to make money. The Big Sky is a group of investors need to invest in stadiums and practice facilities (rather than rigs) and see if it works. FCS doesn't make any real money, so why pay for it.

There will still be bowls to make. Watch for the new Bowl in the Vikings Stadium: MAC vs Big Sky.

The FBS Big Sky will be the following:

UND

NDSU moves from Summit?MFVC

SDSU moves from Summit/MVFC

Montana

Montana St

E Wash

Portland St

Sac St

UC Davis (affiliate)

Cal Poly (affiliate)

NMSU can have a slot if it wants

UNC, ISU, Weber St, NAU, and SUU move to the WAC. The WAC will be a nice mostly southwest conference. South Dakota might have to be in an FCS conference here.

UMKC and Chicago St move back to the Summit.

UCDavis is going to announce a stadium expansion soon (they might not have finances set up for 30,000 seats yet, but 20,000 will do).

Here's E Washington's Gateway expansion which will start soon (http://www.pcs-structural.com/projects/eastern-washington-university-stadium)

Cal Poly has a stadium expansion on the drawing board.

If the Big Sky can move FBS, then the MVFC can also, apparently it's easy. I would rather be playing football with UNI, SIU, IL St, WIL, MO St, USD, SDSU . . . Schools that could afford FBS football, schools in the central time zone. Add in YSU and IN St and you have a conference that would strongly rival the MAC. FBS in the Valley and Summit would be much preferred.

With that list of Mountain and Pacific schools, no way NDSU would go west, are you kidding?

If the Big Sky can move FBS, then the MVFC can also, apparently it's easy. I would rather be playing football with UNI, SIU, IL St, WIL, MO St, USD, SDSU . . . Schools that could afford FBS football, schools in the central time zone. Add in YSU and IN St and you have a conference that would strongly rival the MAC. FBS in the Valley and Summit would be much preferred.

With that list of Mountain and Pacific schools, no way NDSU would go west, are you kidding?

Bisonville used to rave about great games against Davis and Poly. Short memories or Alzheimers? The Sky is the only route feasible for NDSU / SDSU and FBS. Nobody else wants you.

Good luck getting into the MVC. Nobody wants NDSU, SDSU, or Youngstown St. They have to have NMSU and some Texas schools for recruiting. Mo St, Wichita State and most of the private schools will demand it.

The MVFC only had Slummit schools as a matter of scheduling convenience. You're like some slut to the MVC that uses you and won't call you back. Its an unhealthy relationship. Are you still that dense?

Bisonville used to rave about great games against Davis and Poly. Short memories or Alzheimers? The Sky is the only route feasible for NDSU / SDSU and FBS. Nobody else wants you.

Good luck getting into the MVC. Nobody wants NDSU, SDSU, or Youngstown St. They have to have NMSU and some Texas schools for recruiting. Mo St, Wichita State and most of the private schools will demand it.

The MVFC only had Slummit schools as a matter of scheduling convenience. You're like some slut to the MVC that uses you and won't call you back. Its an unhealthy relationship. Are you still that dense?

I find some of your scenarios interesting. Some scenarios are very short sighted due to to your dislike of NDSU which is understandable. I certainly wouldnt consider the BSC our only route to FBS at this juncture .

I find some of your scenarios interesting. Some scenarios are very short sighted due to to your dislike of NDSU which is understandable. I certainly wouldnt consider the BSC our only route to FBS at this juncture .

The MVC is not a football conf, the MVFC is. The is absolutely no requirement to be in the MVC to go FBS with the MVFC. The Big Sky would need SDSU USD and NDSU to have enough team to even consider going FBS, but the answer would be a resounding NO, and UND would be begging to come east and join them n the Summit/Valley.

The MVFC could move up and immediate challenge and be on par with the MAC, while the BSC would be the Sunbelt of the west. See 2013 Sagarin ratings, as the MVFC is already challenging the MAC with 22 fewer scholarships.

NMSU used to be in a FBS MVC. So did Houston, North Texas, Louisville , Tulsa, Memphis, Cincy, and Wichita St football, and others. The MVC is going back to where schools its schools used to be: Texas schools with NMSU. The TV executives are interested, there's recruiting for basketball and football, and it fits with a plan to eventually bring in W Ky, Ark St, Texas St, and La-La. They may have to stoop down and pick Lamar and Sam Houston St and maybe Tex-Arlington, but to the MVC, those schools offer a lot more than NDSU/SDSU.

If the MVC wants to be FBS, they will dissolve the MVFC, and invite entirely new members as all-sports schools. The MVC private schools want markets both for recruiting and TV. NDSU/SDSU don't have what they want.

NMSU used to be in a FBS MVC. So did Houston, North Texas, Louisville , Tulsa, Memphis, Cincy, and Wichita St football, and others. The MVC is going back to where schools its schools used to be: Texas schools with NMSU. The TV executives are interested, there's recruiting for basketball and football, and it fits with a plan to eventually bring in W Ky, Ark St, Texas St, and La-La. They may have to stoop down and pick Lamar and Sam Houston St and maybe Tex-Arlington, but to the MVC, those schools offer a lot more than NDSU/SDSU.

If the MVC wants to be FBS, they will dissolve the MVFC, and invite entirely new members as all-sports schools. The MVC private schools want markets both for recruiting and TV. NDSU/SDSU don't have what they want.

Ha ha . . . Those schools offer more than NDSU? Fanbase, support, winning tradition, history, attendance, regional importance. Did you say Lamar, Sam Houston, UTA? Somebody give this guy a mic, it's amateur night.

Ha ha . . . Those schools offer more than NDSU? Fanbase, support, winning tradition, history, attendance, regional importance. Did you say Lamar, Sam Houston, UTA? Somebody give this guy a mic, it's amateur night.

Can you read?

I said those schools have many more eyeballs for TV and many more potential recruits with 100 miles of each than Fargo has. Getting a tiny bit of coverage into Dallas and Houston again would be huge for the MVC. TV executives help plan out expansion, so NDSU has no chance with the MVC. More than that, Texas has a sizable MVC alumni transplants, while Fargo and Brookings may have a couple of people from each school. NDSU blew their wad on even an outside chance when they didn't even do a total rebuild of the BSA. Talk about a cheap remodel. It could have been first class but NDSU has been chintzy on basketball facilities because its not football.

• Upvote 1

Can you read?

I said those schools have many more eyeballs for TV and many more potential recruits with 100 miles of each than Fargo has. Getting a tiny bit of coverage into Dallas and Houston again would be huge for the MVC. TV executives help plan out expansion, so NDSU has no chance with the MVC. More than that, Texas has a sizable MVC alumni transplants, while Fargo and Brookings may have a couple of people from each school. NDSU blew their wad on even an outside chance when they didn't even do a total rebuild of the BSA. Talk about a cheap remodel. It could have been first class but NDSU has been chintzy on basketball facilities because its not football.

...a 35 million facility holding around 6K isn't exactly chintzy... Nothing spectacular but one hell of a lot better than the Betty.

...a 35 million facility holding around 6K isn't exactly chintzy... Nothing spectacular but one hell of a lot better than the Betty.

If UND was making any attempt to get in the MVC, they would offer to play men's basketball in the Ralph and move women's hockey to the Olympic arena. But its not happening.

The MVC probably won't pursue FBS if they lose Mo St to the Sun Belt or if Wichita St gets poached by CUSA or the American for its basketball. The league would be so depleted that it wouldn't be much different than the Horizon. MVC schools like Drake, Bradley, Loyola, and Wichita State would have a lot to say about what schools could join if they have an FBS league. W Ill, NDSU, SDSU, USD, and Youngstown St are definite no's. UNI might be your only "yes" vote.

NDSU and SDSU will have to pay $1 million in exit fees each no matter where they find an FBS conference.

Can you read?

How's that Denver market working out for NC and the BSC? Joke and so it all the talk about having to be in a large TV market. It helps but it's not the end all.

I am lost when it comes to the FBS and MVC...if the BSC can move up why not the MVFC? Or are we still talking about the BSC being part of the Sun Belt just in a western division.

An FCS conference has to have eight full time members in order to qualify to move en masse to FBS. The MVFC and CAA don't qualify at this time. The CAA would have to add several of their football schools, and the MVC would have to add at least three football schools. That means the MVFC gets dispersed and new members are chosen. W ill goes to the OVC and who knows where YSU, NDSU, SDSU, and USD football lands. Maybe the Big Sky would have to add UCDavis and Cal Poly full time if NDSU and SDSU didn't come aboard. Using the Sun Belt probably is much more complicated then simply changing the rules by the P5 is easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Fullerton finally spills the beans: the Big Sky has been talking about going FBS all along. Adding Idaho adds fuel to the fire. So is UND going to be part of the FBS flock, or the FCS flock. That is the question. I say UND has been planning for FBS ever since the Montana's got us in the conference.

Here’s the real kicker when it comes to the straight-talking Fullerton: He has this idea to cut the next big crises off at the pass by dividing the ever-growing Big Sky into two leagues – one playing football on the FBS level and one in the FCS. The unprecedented move would appease the ambitious and solve some ongoing Big Sky scheduling problems in multiple sports.

“Last time I put it out there it was uncomfortable because the presidents in the room, they’re thinking, ‘That means you stay in the FCS, you go to FBS,’” Fullerton said. “That was uncomfortable for them. But I have to get them past that. I do.”

The commish calls it the next “big elephant in the room,” and he’d rather talk about it now than have league members decide on their own that it’s time to go FBS.

http://missoulian.co...mment_form=true

Meanwhile, Patty Viverito of the MVFC just talked up the virtues of FCS. She has no plans to take the MVFC FBS.

Fullerton finally spills the beans: the Big Sky has been talking about going FBS all along. Adding Idaho adds fuel to the fire. So is UND going to be part of the FBS flock, or the FCS flock. That is the question. I say UND has been planning for FBS ever since the Montana's got us in the conference.

http://missoulian.co...mment_form=true

Meanwhile, Patty Viverito of the MVFC just talked up the virtues of FCS. She has no plans to take the MVFC FBS.

With UND in the Alerus we would be stuck in the FCS flock.

With UND in the Alerus we would be stuck in the FCS flock.

Wait and watch.

The REA trust fund and donations will result in a renovated Memorial with over 20,000 seats.

Meanwhile, NDSU and SDSU will have to pay $1 mill each to Douple and some other bucks to Patty if they want to go FBS. They'll have to eat crow and join the Big Sky if they want to be FBS. Patty has no interest in FBS.

Wait and watch.

The REA trust fund and donations will result in a renovated Memorial with over 20,000 seats.

UND has roughly 5 years left on their contract with the Alerus (10 year contact in Feb '09) so they are kinda stuck there for awhile unless they buy that out. As for Memorial Stadium, I have wondered with the IPF so close to the stadium is there enough room for a stadium expansion? But overall I hope you are right and UND takes the FBS road when the time has come.

UND has roughly 5 years left on their contract with the Alerus (10 year contact in Feb '09) so they are kinda stuck there for awhile unless they buy that out. As for Memorial Stadium, I have wondered with the IPF so close to the stadium is there enough room for a stadium expansion? But overall I hope you are right and UND takes the FBS road when the time has come.

The Alerus will be used for November games, unless the city is willing to expand it. The Alerus is making money now, more that the FargoDome.

The east stands will be built over the IPF offices. The track will be gone so the turf needs to be moved further west. Hopefully, it will be a horeshoe on the north side so the wind won't be so bad. A giant video screen on the south side.

A new track will be in the parking lot toward the NE with a new parking ramp directly north.

I would hope that the Big Sky would hold off on inviting NDSU so UND will get a head start on recruiting area FBS athletes. Let Bisonville sweat for a couple years, and then grant them some mercy when they are behind in recruiting.

Since UND was the only Dakota school in the Sky, we should reap some benefits for a few years.

FBS Big Sky

Cal :Poly

UCDavis

Sac St

Portland St

E Wash

Idaho

Montana

Mont St

UND

later add NDSU

later add SDSU

FCS Big Sky

Idaho St

Weber St

SUU

NAU

No Colo

maybe add Dixie St

merge it with the WAC

I would hope that the Big Sky would hold off on inviting NDSU so UND will get a head start on recruiting area FBS athletes. Let Bisonville sweat for a couple years, and then grant them some mercy when they are behind in recruiting.

Since UND was the only Dakota school in the Sky, we should reap some benefits for a few years.

FBS Big Sky

Cal :Poly

UCDavis

Sac St

Portland St

E Wash

Idaho

Montana

Mont St

UND

later add NDSU

later add SDSU

FCS Big Sky

Idaho St

Weber St

SUU

NAU

No Colo

maybe add Dixie St

merge it with the WAC

Aren't you missing a school? What happens to USD? I don't think the SDBoR would allow the Jacks to move up again and leave the Yotes behind, plus with the SL Tournament in Sioux Falls pumping money into that city/state NDSU may be the only one to add.

The Alerus will be used for November games, unless the city is willing to expand it. The Alerus is making money now, more that the FargoDome.

The east stands will be built over the IPF offices. The track will be gone so the turf needs to be moved further west. Hopefully, it will be a horeshoe on the north side so the wind won't be so bad. A giant video screen on the south side.

A new track will be in the parking lot toward the NE with a new parking ramp directly north.

I hope they return football to Memorial with all the updates you posted.