SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Olympic Hockey

Ray77

After what those jerks from Switzerland did to the US in Vancouver I'm glad the U.S. is avoiding them in the quarterfinals. I was hoping Russia would slip to six and we'd see a vengeance game with Russia-Canada to advance to the semis.

Here's how the guy who is always wrong sees it.

Slovenia beats Austria

Russia annexes Norway after barely getting by.

The Czech Republic and Slovakia join together as Czechoslovakia, but the U.S. still beats them.

Switzerland scores with a lot more time left against Latvia this time and wins 2-0. Latvia won't score this time either.

Quarters:

Sweden over Slovenia....but closer than the experts think.

Russia over Finland

USA over Czechoslovakia (or whoever wins if they don't join together)

Switzerland over Canada in a shootout after frustrating them all game.

After this goes completely wrong I'll reset, and let you know how the semis won't go.

After what those jerks from Switzerland did to the US in Vancouver I'm glad the U.S. is avoiding them in the quarterfinals. I was hoping Russia would slip to six and we'd see a vengeance game with Russia-Canada to advance to the semis.

Here's how the guy who is always wrong sees it.

Slovenia beats Austria

Russia annexes Norway after barely getting by.

The Czech Republic and Slovakia join together as Czechoslovakia, but the U.S. still beats them.

Switzerland scores with a lot more time left against Latvia this time and wins 2-0. Latvia won't score this time either.

Quarters:

Sweden over Slovenia....but closer than the experts think.

Russia over Finland

USA over Czechoslovakia (or whoever wins if they don't join together)

Switzerland over Canada in a shootout after frustrating them all game.

After this goes completely wrong I'll reset, and let you know how the semis won't go.

I like that.

I know I am probably in the minority, but think UND could be a training center for winter Olympic sports athletes. Drop track and field (the Big Sky won't allow that) and sponsor biathlon, x-c skiing, long and short track skating, and curling. Curling should be an NCAA sport!. Just wishful thinking for sure, but the Olympic connections are golden.

I know I am probably in the minority, but think UND could be a training center for winter Olympic sports athletes. Drop track and field (the Big Sky won't allow that) and sponsor biathlon, x-c skiing, long and short track skating, and curling. Curling should be an NCAA sport!. Just wishful thinking for sure, but the Olympic connections are golden.

That would be so awesome if this would happened.

• Upvote 1

42 shots on the Swedish goalie..not even half way through the game?

Wow... That is domination.

I almost feel bad for countries outside of Canada and the US in women's hockey.

The IIHF should make the USA and Canada Olympic teams not be able to train together the whole year.

42 shots on the Swedish goalie..not even half way through the game?

Wow... That is domination.

I almost feel bad for countries outside of Canada and the US in women's hockey.

The Olympic chairman discussed this four years ago - women's hockey could be in trouble this time around.

The Olympic chairman discussed this four years ago - women's hockey could be in trouble this time around.

I read a article that said the head of hockey in the Olympics is keeping woman's hockey for 2018.

That wins moves the US Women into the gold medal game, correct?

Yes

I think that's unlikely, because IIHF has made significant changes in response to the IOC direction to minimize lopsided games and grow the sport outside USA and Canada.

One big initiative has been coaching partnerships, where USA and Canadian coaches partner up with various national federations. Each WCHA team has a coach with a partner, for example Elander is mentoring Germany.

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/sport/women/ambassadors/peter-elander.html

Another is the competition itself, where they set up the top 4 teams in one pool, and the bottom 4 teams in another. So there was no USA vs Russia or Germany game. (Unless of course Russia/Germany were to advance.)

That said, the competition (beyond USA v Canada) is certainly among the most lopsided of any on the Olympic program.