SiouxSports.com Forum

Friday Game Thread

U2Bad1

The reason Brandt thought it was a penalty on the Gophs was because Woog thought it was a penalty on the Gophs. Taylor speared Bucks, at the same time Genoway slashed Tallackson's (?) stick. With about 4 minutes left in the game Ballard makes a huge slash the shoulders on a Sioux players stick and no call. Stupid inconsistant refereeing, :D

What was wrong with the ice? Perhaps it's been said, but I'm lazy. :p

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from my seat I couldn't see what was going on (right in front of me but behind the boards), but I saw CHUNKS of ice getting tossed around...not good for ANYONE on skates!

WPoS

Whinning would be what is going on over at POI as we type. Take a look....That my friend is whinning

PS ...I don't own a horse

I knew if I didn't leave they'd call the game. Knew if I left they'd resume play. You are all welcome. ;):D:p

OK, ice has a problem, how 'bout making a public announcement to clue in everyone in the frick'n world? NOBODY in the arena knew what the prob was. A guy next to me even called home and asked someone watchin' FSN. No idea. Shep checkin' everything out, skatin' all over, scrapin' the spot with a stick and his skates, talkin' to everyone possible at ice level, drinkin' out of a water bottle while sittin' his useless posterior down, but NEVER givin' any kind of indication that he was satisfied w/ the ice. Needless to say I was sure they were going to call the game ala Wisco. OOOOOPS. Alas, not so. Should have stuck it out (instead I'm takin' the way of the coward and blamin' Shep).

Thanks for the kind words NDH btw. Pretty sure this not-so-diehard Sioux fan doesn't deserve them.

Just got back from the game. Everything pretty much has been said. I thought it was a gritty win for the Sioux, but will have to play much better if they want to achieve what hasn't been achieved since 1980. The 2nd period was tough to watch, the Sioux got outworked and lost many battles all over the ice. Overall, I had the feeling that the Sioux may have stole one, with Brandt being the main culprit. :p

As far as the reffing goes, I'm so used to it I just have to laugh. It was great to see the Sioux play through it. To hear that Gopher fans are actually complaining about the reffing completely baffles me. Might be a good sociological study. :D

The reason Brandt thought it was a penalty on the Gophs was because Woog thought it was a penalty on the Gophs. Taylor speared Bucks, at the same time Genoway slashed Tallackson's (?) stick. With about 4 minutes left in the game Ballard makes a huge slash the shoulders on a Sioux players stick and no call. Stupid inconsistant refereeing, :D

What was wrong with the ice? Perhaps it's been said, but I'm lazy. :p

Not to rip on the officals but I thought they sucks again tonight, it was obvious that UofM got the better of the calls tonight and the Sioux still won. Again UND scores on the power play...

jk, thanks for bringing up Briggs' comment. I was thinking of that myself!

I thought Parise was an animal tonite. Played very well, and physical. Set a tone right off by giving Ballard a bit of what he was giving.

Hard to believe Genoway's slash was called and the spear on Taylor was not. They were almost in the same place on the ice.

There were some missed calls, certainly, but overall I don't think there can be too many complaints that officiating affected the outcome of the game. Most of the calls that were made were good calls I thought. A few were not called that should have been.

Sioux didn't have the offensive flow that MN had I thought. MN really looked better offensively. They know how to work on that big ice, that's for sure.

Really liked Schneider going over to clear things up with Taylor after his scrum with Murray. I like that Gopher fans think he's their tough guy and what does he do? picks on a 160 pound weakling. Schneider looked like he was ready to go.

Big guns for both teams came up big tonite. Will the big guns be the story tomorrow or will this be like so many series when the big scorers score in one game and everybody else scores the next....

I think the boys need to thank Jake tonite for the 2 points.

Oh, Woog was good tonite I thought. Called a spade a spade either way I thought.

Let's get 2 more points tomorrow night and solidify our claim on the MacNaughton and put the Gophers in good shape to get a first round playoff game against Denver or CC.

I was at Bullwinkles tonight with about 15 of the Sioux faithful and we rocked the house with the school song after each goal!!!! 6 out of 6 points against the Gophers this year is FANTASTIC. If we can play any better tomorrow night, I like our chances, but the Goophers might be in desperation mode, considering the standings.

N-O-R-T-H-D-A-K-O-T-A North Dakota, North Dakota, Yaaaaaaaaaaaa Sioux!!!!!!

Hey, some of you more intelligent Gopher faithful . . . .  You think whatever pro team has Tallackson's rights are loosing interest in the guy?  Fast?

yah, he can play, he is like Moss in my mind sometimes...he plays when he wants too. Big guy, can skate pretty well, decent stick handling (when he wants too), but looks lethargic EVEY year untill Feb, when he seems to wake up...He would be a good enforcer in the NHL with his size, but not giving 100%... :p:D

WPoS

Come on Sagard, you know that the goalie covering the puck for two full seconds is possesion for a penalty call. Come on over for a good discussion.

I'd have to see a replay. I sit behind Briggs so I couldn't tell at all. From the far side, it just looked like Tallackson shot it, then it trickled it.

I do agree that if Brandt touched it intentionally, by say sweeping it under himself and into the net, the play is dead due to the penalty.

Mostly, I think I'm just frustrated due to having three goals waved off so far this year, with none going the other way. Oh well, I guess there was clearly going to be some pay back for the Michigan non-goal last year at the Frozen Four.

I was very impressed with Brandt last night. I think it was probably the best game he's played. He challenged every shooter and even when he went down and stacked the pads, he was looking at the puck. He seemed to have made some sensational saves, but when you got a look at the replay he was in perfect position and waiting for the puck. He nearly stopped both goals. He struggled at times to cover the puck, and might have got chippy (why was he ticked with Potulny?), but didn't let any of it take him off his game. I think he earned the starting job for tonight, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Parise does.

Mostly, I think I'm just frustrated due to having three goals waved off so far this year, with none going the other way. Oh well, I guess there was clearly going to be some pay back for the Michigan non-goal last year at the Frozen Four.

Add a few dozen pipe shots and you have the Sioux from last season. :D

Add a few dozen pipe shots and you have the Sioux from last season. :D

Talking about pipes and missed opportunites, Bucks missed about three other shots that could have been goals. The score could have been worse...

I am just wondering if UND wins tonight are we going to see a melt down by the Gopher fans?

Talking about pipes and missed opportunites, Bucks missed about three other shots that could have been goals. The score could have been worse...

It could've been worse for us as well. Vanek blew a golden opportunity on an early PP, and Brandt made some other big saves.

One other thing impressive on Brandt was how well he played pucks off of the boards. He knew that they tend to come flying back out front and covered them.

Last night it also seemed like we went for the "home run" a lot more often than usual. I guess this would be to combat the offensive defensemen of the Gophers. It also seemed like the puck was finding it's way onto Gopher sticks for most of the game. I can't believe how many bouncing cross ice passes hopped over Sioux sticks, but landed on theirs. Our forecheckers did a great job on knocking down passes in the neutral zone. It always amazes me when a hockey player can pick a puck out of mid-air.