SiouxSports.com Forum

Friday Game Thread

U2Bad1

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The goofer fans are talking about how the goofers proved they are a top team (with the help of the zebras). If we sweep tomorrow, should we expect overrated cheers and a goofer salute to the fans?

The Gopher fans are half right. They did get a lot of help from the stripes. If you ask me, I think their complaints about Sheperd are null and void because of how much they benefitted from them tonight (and probably will tommorrow barring a miracle).

As for the overrated chants and the stick salute, I highly doubt it. Gopher fans are arrogant and they do obnoxious things at times, but they are classier than that. One thing is certain though: If the Gophers lose tommorrow, expect Taylor to make runs on and try to pick a fight with Murray and/or Bina.

Great game tonight. Second period a bit rough, but the Sioux came out none the worse for wear. Great PK tonight as well and I was very happy with Brandt in net. He seems to be getting more and more confident, and that is a very good sign.

May be a bit early, but I would love to see Brandt back in net tomorrow night to get the chance at a sweep. Jordan is playing well, don't get me wrong, but Brandt is playing great and had a good game tonight and I would love to see him ride that into tomorrow night.

Good game to watch except for the 5x3, which I didn't want for either team.

Brandt played outstandingly well, and then got pancaked by Guyer, but hey, we scored on the PP so HAHAHA.

Great game from our top guys (both teams' top guys had good games).

Overall a fun game to watch...

Well now that sure was fun for a Friday night. Beating the Gophers at their own game. We had a blast on the rail, section 3. Even got to give the Gopher fans, students specifically, some "beat the traffic" (a few were actually leaving when they were on the power play with under three minutes remaining, down 3-2!) and "awful quiet" chants. On the way to our car, two old-timers started grousing at me and my kids. "Well, that sure was some home cooking for a road team." Thought he was talking to me because of my name. Tried to engage him in a friendly way over what a great game it was, which it was. He wouldn't bite. Starting complaining that we got all the calls, and that we play "Canadian Goon Hockey." Funny. All we could do was look at him, and gave him a collective "Thank-You Kind Sir!!" and give him the "Let's Go Sioux!" chant. He was pissed, for no good reason, other than the obvious. Looked like a clone of Somnor. Somnor have a persnickety brother?

Stood behind the student section. A great bunch of students, who did a nice job of give and take and the ribbing. Of course, by night's end, we had the upper hand.

The ice break between the first and second period was really beginning to look like a concern. Took forever to remedy. Of course, with Minnesota's famous IT Department, I expected them to have rocket scientists all over it. There were some who, including me, who were concerned that the game might actually be called.

The Sioux hung tough all night long. Power play was crisp and clean. Penalty kill was really impressive, giving up only the deadly 5 on 3 goal.

The good Lord was berry berry good to me today. Saw a Sioux win in hostile territory with my kids.

I am thinking sweep, as can we all right now.

Matt Jones is one hell of a D-man. Drew Stafford is the strongest man on skates.

Pulltab deserves to start again tomorrow. He made some huge saves.

Oh yea. DamStrait is a damn solid guy. WPoS is as fine a man, and a college hockey fan, as any of us will ever meet.

Feels good to have pucked the Gophers tonight. Beat them to most of them. I wish I could get the sad sight of the old guys grousing about penalty calls and Canadian Goon Hockey out of my mind.

There. It is. Let's Go Sioux!

sprig, You nailed it. I thought the Sioux won because they outgoaltended MN. MN was right there with UND 5-on-5, a real rarity this year.

Officiating is part of the game. I think people complain about it too much, and look like whiners in the process. There was a lot of stuff going on in this game, both ways, and fans of both sides have a lot to complain about. Shep made up for the lopsided first period by giving the Sioux a few in a row in the third.

Woog did nothing but blow kisses to the Sioux all night. He thought the Sioux would win Friday, and MN Saturday. He called it a match-up of two national championship calibre teams. He complemented the Sioux's depth, but most of all he praised their huge defensemen, and how hard they made it to get something going late in the third. So please lay off the Wooger; he was fine. [Of course it was "Lundblom" again, but its kind of endearing now.]

Briggs sees better shots than Bochenski's every day in practice.

Heck of a screen by Lundblom.

Schneider played a good scrappy game.

Nice for Porter to get the winner after missing the breakaway.

Smaby was solid, Bina a little less so.

For Minnie, Briggs seemed rock-solid early, but he seived out a bit in the third. The Talyor/Atherton duo on D is going to be tough for the next three years; they've gotten a lot better since November. Koalska had a better game than I've seen him have for a while, with good jump in his legs. Oh, yeah, and Ballard is a whale of a player. Not the greatest defender in the world, but just a fantastic hockey player. Also a bit of a hack, but I like that in a defenseman if he's on my team.

Generally, I thought the first period was about as intense a period of college hockey as you'll see. Real passion on display, speed, skill, checking. Then, understandably, the delay took the life out of the game. It looked to me like both teams were skating in quicksand for much of the last two periods. Real gutty effort for the Sioux to pull out the win.

WOW! About as late as I have ever gotten home after a Gopher game...w/o going to a bar after...

1. NorthDakotaHockey: great guy, good to meet ya, hope you stop by the tailgate, I got a few brews for ya!

2. the team that made the least boneheaded moves in the third won. STUPID, STUPID penalties. :D

3. BranDt: what was with the going after the Gopher after the face off?!?!?

4. BranDt: acted like he just won the NCAA at the end of the game...didn't know it meant that much to him :0

5. Reffing: lots of non calls in all directions, what do expect from the son of Sheppard.

6. After all the talk from a few SS.com posters I expected a bit more out of Bo, Murray and "god"...Murray didn't even get me a fantasy point tonight I think ;) Geeze, I played him at least throw me a bone outa the loss.

7. Funny point of the night, BranDt skating off thinking UND had a PP...NOT! :p

8. actually met a UND fan that said good game after they won, about fell down on the snow right there! Thart was just for you Hrack!

Too tired to continue. I look forward to a GREAT game again tomorrow.

WPoS

Just in from the game...coupla comments...

Brandt was outstanding...won the game for us hands down.

Mariucci IS A DUMP ...PERIOD. Get some freakin ice for chirst sake.

That gay cheer has got to go..I think it actually hurts the Gopher team - they seemed lethargic on the ice after the fans were spinning their wrist concluding it with yyyyyyyaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh Gophers! What are you people in first grade?

Solid contingent on the rail in section 7. Entire section in front of us made up of Gopher fans was not happy with us. I think I heard the word obnoxious a few times. Oh well........

They are already bitching up a storm on POI...go take a read. It is actually funny. It shouldn't be called POI it should be renamed PUD.

Brandt didn't let in a weak goal. Any idea if your arena people will be able to fix the ice by tomorrow?

that was odd, never seen that before, heard there was a bad coil...I am sure it will eb fixed by tomorrow.

I'd love to face Brandt again tomorrow. he played a pretty solid game.

WPoS

that was odd, never seen that before, heard ther was a bad coil...I am sure it will eb fixed by tomorrow.

WPoS

REA was said to have bad coils last year and they didn't try to replace them until after the season. It seems like it might be something that can't be fixed over night. Hopefully it can because I don't want it to affect any plays, or hurt any players.

REA was said to have bad coils last year and they didn't try to replace them until after the season. It seems like it might be something that can't be fixed over night. Hopefully it can because I don't want it to affect any plays, or hurt any players.

from my seat I couldn't see what was going on (right in front of me but behind the boards), but I saw CHUNKS of ice getting tossed around...not good for ANYONE on skates!

WPoS