SiouxSports.com Forum

Bubba's Staff: Who's it gonna be?.......and when?

Siouxperfan777

So with the press release stating the the defensive staff is set, is it safe to assume Bubba will be helping with the secondary and Schmidt will coach ILB's? Open positions are still QB/WR/OL. Two more coaches likely (WR/OL) and Rudolph takes the QB's?

HC - Schmidt

OC - Rudolph

RB/Recruiting - Maurice

DC - Schmidt

DL - Gigli

OLB - Schwenzfeier

DB - Rodgers

ST - Kostich (rumored)

Was Schmidt recently promoted? ;)

Anyways, we can all pencil in Kostich. That is a done deal - official announcement should be sometime this week. Same goes for Maurice at RB/recruiting coordinator.

I'd imagine an outside coach will be hired for OL. WR coach could be Fruend or outside coach. I would think Rudolph coaches QBs and Schmidt takes the inside LBs.

In looking at these hires as objectively as I can, this staff is far superior than last year's staff. Not gonna compare HCs because that's a no-brainer. OC - last year we had a first year OC with limited coaching experinece. This year we have a guy with many years of DII head coach and OC experience. I'll take the latter. Hard to know what to expect with Schmidt versus Kotelnicki, but I'd say that is a toss-up until I can see the defense practice and perform. If Rudolph coaches QBs, you'd have to think his experience would help out Mollberg/Bartels. Maurice is a clear upgrade over Schwenzfeier at the RB position. Gigili's experience in the Big Sky and Big Ten conference makes him look like a good candidate on paper. Schmidt and Schwenzfeier should boost the LBs, especially with the addition of Schmidt. Jury is still out on Marty Rodgers. Minnesota Gopher's staff has had nothing but good things to say about Kostich, so I'd like to think he'll be a good one at special teams.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see, but so far so good in my opinion. Keep up the good work Bubba!

So with the press release stating the the defensive staff is set, is it safe to assume Bubba will be helping with the secondary and Schmidt will coach ILB's? Open positions are still QB/WR/OL. Two more coaches likely (WR/OL) and Rudolph takes the QB's?

I would think that Rudolph possibly would take OL if he was to add a position. He did have both OC/OL duties during his time at St. Cloud.

Its been rumored that Freund has been seen w/ the new coaching staff so he is probably being retained. QB coach again or perhaps WR coach?

2 more hires will be made for the 3 open spots (OL, QB, WR) (4 when you add in TE's), so 1 or perhaps 2 coaches on the Offensive side will be pulling double duty.

Was Schmidt recently promoted? ;)

Anyways, we can all pencil in Kostich. That is a done deal - official announcement should be sometime this week. Same goes for Maurice at RB/recruiting coordinator.

I'd imagine an outside coach will be hired for OL. WR coach could be Fruend or outside coach. I would think Rudolph coaches QBs and Schmidt takes the inside LBs.

Ha, oops, fixed that. I'm thinking on the same lines as you for the rest of it.

Sounds like rudolph will be qb coach per herald.

Sounds like also per miller all we need now is st coach and rb coach to be announced

I think we need a former rb to be a rb coach not a qb being a rb coach.

Still need a OL and WR coach. That would put us at 9 assistants, which is the number expected.

Maurice is a former RB at the FBS level (UTEP) - he'll do nice things for us both in coaching the running backs and recruiting Big Ten territory.

Sounds like rudolph will be qb coach per herald.

Sounds like also per miller all we need now is st coach and rb coach to be announced

I think we need a former rb to be a rb coach not a qb being a rb coach.

Maurice is RB coach (though no official announcement yet)

He did play RB in college according to his Purdue bio. His personal twitter says he is RB coach here as well.

Kevin Maurice

@kevphx83

RBs Coach @ North Dakota

Any thoughts or rumors on OL coach?

I think we need to make sure the TE have their own coach. It was almost a throw away position the last few years. TE can be the most dangerous player on the offense if used properly. We need to develop that position into a strength for easy 3rd down conversions and red zone TDs. They can do more than block.

• Upvote 2

I think we need to make sure the TE have their own coach. It was almost a throw away position the last few years. TE can be the most dangerous player on the offense if used properly. We need to develop that position into a strength for easy 3rd down conversions and red zone TDs. They can do more than block.

I agree completely

So it seems as though the staff is complete with the exception of a WR coach. Rumor is that Freund may get that spot which seems kind of a token hire. He doesn't have any WR experience at the coaching level. Too bad they don't seem to be giving the same thought to WR coach as they have to other positions. I also heard that the offense will be more conservative and stick to a pro style offense. Personally, I love the spread and what well coached teams can do from the spread. I just hope we don't become ultra conservative on the offensive side because it sounded like Bubba was anything but conservative on the defensive side of the ball.

• Upvote 1

So it seems as though the staff is complete with the exception of a WR coach. Rumor is that Freund may get that spot which seems kind of a token hire. He doesn't have any WR experience at the coaching level. Too bad they don't seem to be giving the same thought to WR coach as they have to other positions. I also heard that the offense will be more conservative and stick to a pro style offense. Personally, I love the spread and what well coached teams can do from the spread. I just hope we don't become ultra conservative on the offensive side because it sounded like Bubba was anything but conservative on the defensive side of the ball.

It is not unusual to have a couple holdovers from the previous staff, he would be the second. Former QB's coaching a different offensive skill position also isn't all that strange, but I see your point of view on it.

From what I understand on offensive philosophy, Bubba is looking for more of a balanced, ball control offense, which with how the defense was on the field and continuously gashed last year, isn't a bad thing. And then taken into accoun the WR's UND lost, makes even more sense to not throw it 40 times a game. Not always as exciting as a spread, but can be very fun to watch when you are walking down the field on the other team, eating up the clock.