SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ #14 Oregon (Oregon Tournament Day #2)

SWSiouxMN

So are people satisfied with this result?

Not really.

The team has been too reliant on Huff.

If Huff is going, that's wonderful. If he is not going, it's Cal-Poly.

There is too much talent on this team. It should have a place to turn when Huff is not happening. Huff was not happening against Cal-Poly and not happening when the deficit was built against Oregon.

One Huff started to happen. We played with Oregon.

Huff is no doubt our best player but when he is taking 25 shots and 10 free throws we r not going to win. He is a captain and needs to get everyone involved because everytime he know touches the ball 2 and 3 defenders are collapsing on him and it will continue until he passes and realize others can shoot as good as him. Anderson does the same thing when he is not scoring and tries to get his points. Too many players are wide open when our guards penetrate. We are good but can really take it to the next level if players were alittle more un selfish.

It's quite simple; I'm disappointed with how this team has played the last two games. Blowout to Cal Poly and a sizable loss to Oregon. Not good enough, especially against Cal Poly. Need to beat Pacific to try salvage this weekend. Just need better team basketball, particularly on defense.

Considering how we came out against Wisconsin and 17,000+ hostile fans, I expected a much better performance against the Ducks, in a half empty venue. This team is full of seniors that have experienced all types of environments and all levels of competition. What happened yesterday was lack-luster IMO. What happened on Friday should never happen to this team.

If this team truly expects to challenge for the Big Sky title, performances like this weekend can't happen. Weber St. would never lose by 30 to a middle of the pack Big West team.......................

I look at it like this, when Anderson and Huff are out of the game, no one really steps up besides maybe Shuler. Yes, Huff and Anderson take quite a few shots, but thats what scorers do. They are trying to score. I wouldn't say they're playing selfish at all. I think its unfair to say that about the very 2 guys who are the main reason of UND'S success.

Not to mention, it doesn't help that Jones offense really is terrible. If you look at it closely, his offense is just 2 guards dribbling up top going nowhere, hoping to have a gap off the screens and force up a.shi*ty shot. He needs an offense where Nash and Huff are not standing and watching Webb and Anderson trying to create off of screens. Its very easy for other teams to defend. Its basically 5 against 2. Run some damn motions or set plays for Nash, Anderson, Shuler and Huff. Geez!

I look at it like this, when Anderson and Huff are out of the game, no one really steps up besides maybe Shuler. Yes, Huff and Anderson take quite a few shots, but thats what scorers do. They are trying to score. I wouldn't say they're playing selfish at all. I think its unfair to say that about the very 2 guys who are the main reason of UND'S success.

Not to mention, it doesn't help that Jones offense really is terrible. If you look at it closely, his offense is just 2 guards dribbling up top going nowhere, hoping to have a gap off the screens and force up a.shi*ty shot. He needs an offense where Nash and Huff are not standing and watching Webb and Anderson trying to create off of screens. Its very easy for other teams to defend. Its basically 5 against 2. Run some damn motions or set plays for Nash, Anderson, Shuler and Huff. Geez!

You guys are all a lot smarter and follow much closer than I do. Seems like all we have to do is go hard to the basket and we will be successful. The part we aren't doing is after someone draws a double or triple team is to find the open man and dish. If fouled we need to shoot a high free throw percentage. I am still not overlyconfident on our outside shooting ability. I haven't seen yet a reason we should be trying to isolate our big guys. Maybe they have moves and the ability??

Defense is a huge concern. Our bigs don't seem like they can stop close to the basket. Again, what do I know but it seems like the effort is there?? Do you see any players not working on defense?

You definately nailed a few points. When Webb or the point guard has the ball we stick say Anderson and Schuler in the corners. The post comes out high to set the screen for the point and the first option is pick and roll for the post, if that doesn't happen the point is to penetrate and draw either corner defender which then leaves a shooter wide open for a pass so he can shoot or penetrate in. I dont dislike this offense cause it creates alot of defensive problems and double teams but we do not find the open guys. It's been this way for 4 years with these guys. Anderson many times gets a screen from say Schuler and Anderson is immediately double teamed and never passes back to the wide open Schuler, Antwi, or whoever else it is. These guys are not smart with a double/triple teams at all. With Nash and this bench we should easily compete for the Big Sky and NCAA bid but not if we don't start playing smart and playing unselfish. I believe we have the most athletic team in the Big Sky but just because of this doesn't mean anything if the chemistry is not there. Go Sioux

This stretch is going to test if UND can win on the road as they play 5 straight road games, and don't return to the Betty until December 15th against Presentation College. So far 0-2, if they can get 2 wins I will be happy, beating Pacific and Bowling Green is possible, but beating Butler I don't think will happen.