SiouxSports.com Forum

Business School Growth at UND

UNDvince97-01

Here's the link to the Herald article: http://www.grandfork...ublisher_ID/40/

Great news on the proposed new and improved facilities.

A new business school has been on the wish list for a decade. Maybe they can use some of the Spirit Campaign $$ towards it? When I graduated, Dean Elbert said naming rights to the new building would be $25 million. I can see it now, the UNDBIZ School of Business...... or I guess maybe we should go to the guy who has real money and call it the gfhockey School of Business. :lol:

• Upvote 1

I got a great education in the UND Business School and it's awesome that enrollment is up like it is. But the time has come for a new facility with all the bells and whistles needed to educate our students for the 21st Century. I imagine there are some well-off alums that would pitch in and help. And this is the perfect project for the UND Spirit Campaign fund.

A new business school has been on the wish list for a decade. Maybe they can use some of the Spirit Campaign $$ towards it? When I graduated, Dean Elbert said naming rights to the new building would be $25 million. I can see it now, the UNDBIZ School of Business...... or I guess maybe we should go to the guy who has real money and call it the gfhockey School of Business. :lol:

IALTO! :D

Would it make sense for the university to purchase a building downtown and convert it to a classroom/business like experience? Helps the university and the city at the same time...I think NDSU did this recently....

If I was UND I'd probably try to keep it on campus. I don't mind going downtown for my classes, considering the building is the nicest NDSU has, but I personally like being on campus more than being downtown.

B John Barry College of Business unless he declines naming rights. He has already given more than $25,000,000. He and Linda Pankratz led the Spirit Campaign. I believe net worth over $1 billion. He also gave over $1million to AC for their business program. When he was given Sioux Award he stated his avocation in life now is philanthropy.

The former Griffith's at 3rd and Demers would be the logical choice, but its filling up now. Any UND Downtown should be performing arts, painting, pottery, communications, with emphasis on art studios.

That sounds lame..is that you trying to segregate those type of students from the rest of UND so they quit getting made fun of or is that you trying to give them their own special place?

That sounds lame..is that you trying to segregate those type of students from the rest of UND so they quit getting made fun of or is that you trying to give them their own special place?

The polite, UND, thinking man's, answer:

The commercial art studios are downtown. This would be co-locating students with them (while still leaving a base at HFAC on campus).

Or

The vitriolic, uncouth, posting forum answer for contrast:

Segregation? Is that why NDSU students that don't smell like animal barns now have a downtown campus in Fargo (so they don't get made fun of by those that do smell like the barns)?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't there a proposed rendering of a new business school out there somewhere a while back?

Yeah, I remember seeing them about the same time as the renderings of a retractable roof football stadium came out, so who knows how serious they actually are. It looked nice, and feasible (certainly more so than a retractable roof stadium), and included Chandler Hall (ugliest building on the UND campus) being demolished and basically adding a new wing to Gamble Hall that was connected to the existing building.

I think a new business school/complete renovation of the current one would be one of the best things that UND could do right now. Gamble is used by nearly every student on campus at some point in their academic career and is sitting on a prime spot on campus. I have a friend who goes to Miami (Ohio), and you should see their new building, absolutely beautiful:

http://www.moodynolan.com/newsroom/2010/05/01/farmer-school-building-earns-miamis-first-leed-certification/miamiu_auditorium/

Yeah, I remember seeing them about the same time as the renderings of a retractable roof football stadium came out, so who knows how serious they actually are. It looked nice, and feasible (certainly more so than a retractable roof stadium), and included Chandler Hall (ugliest building on the UND campus) being demolished and basically adding a new wing to Gamble Hall that was connected to the existing building.

I think a new business school/complete renovation of the current one would be one of the best things that UND could do right now. Gamble is used by nearly every student on campus at some point in their academic career and is sitting on a prime spot on campus. I have a friend who goes to Miami (Ohio), and you should see their new building, absolutely beautiful:

http://www.moodynola...miu_auditorium/

I spent a week at Miami a bunch of summers ago. That campus is beyond spectacular.

I'll pass on that style of architecture.... Nice and new though. I love the direction UND is heading with the style of the new buildings.

Yes, I personally love the style of buildings that UND has. I like the old buildings on campus, and the remodeled buildings that keep that traditional look (Education Building). I hope they go in that direction with whatever future changes they make with the business school.

Would it make sense for the university to purchase a building downtown and convert it to a classroom/business like experience? Helps the university and the city at the same time...I think NDSU did this recently....

NDSU did do it with their business building, and their building is very nice. However, I personally do not like the idea because it makes for an awkward distance between buildings, certainly could not get from the business building to a building on the actual campus in 10 minutes (usual length between classes), so your schedule could have some weird gaps in time. I think that as long as there is space on campus, UND should not consider having classroom buildings off campus.

One thing I think would be nice to free up space on campus in the long run would be to tear down those ugly housing buildings on University toward 42nd street, across from the aviation building. The housing could be replaced with more space efficient, apartment-style housing to the north. This would allow for new, high usuage buildings to be right along university ave, and would certainly be much more visually appealing than those ugly housing units that currently sit on such a high traveled area of campus!