SiouxSports.com Forum

Victim of robbery charged with felony

Oxbow6

He didn't kill him so what's your point? But I'll play along...no and no. I like it when some jump to extreme hypotheticals to try to get a point across when it is irrelevant to the discussion.

When you hit someone with a metal pipe you could kill them very easily. So you are still ok with hitting the guy with a pipe? Not an extreme hypothetical at all. How many times has someone died after only getting punched one time? Remember the UND aviation student who got popped just one time in St. Michaels?
  • Upvote 1

When you hit someone with a metal pipe you could kill them very easily. So you are still ok with hitting the guy with a pipe? Not an extreme hypothetical at all. How many times has someone died after only getting punched one time? Remember the UND aviation student who got popped just one time in St. Michaels?

To your 3 questions... yes, no idea and no.

We don't have to agree on this. IMO based on the article I read I question the felony assault charge under the circumstance as the article laid them out.

The DA will use discretion. If the guy had been reasonable in his violence- i.e. a punch or two there would not be charges. It wouldn't be worth anyone's time and energy.

Clearly the beating was worse than that, and included a pipe...that is beyond a reasonable "violent" response to having your car stolen.

• Upvote 2

To your 3 questions... yes, no idea and no.

We don't have to agree on this. IMO based on the article I read I question the felony assault charge under the circumstance as the article laid them out.

Still having fantasies about going after the two guys who broke into your house? Is it that this guy did what you could not do that is bugging you? Is that why you defend him so? You know maybe he is some sleaze ball drug dealing meth head. Maybe he is a child molester or some other heinous creature? Be careful who you are automatically defending without knowing anything about him.

Still having fantasies about going after the two guys who broke into your house? Is it that this guy did what you could not do that is bugging you? Is that why you defend him so? You know maybe he is some sleaze ball drug dealing meth head. Maybe he is a child molester or some other heinous creature? Be careful who you are automatically defending without knowing anything about him.

Don't know where to start with all of that noise...although the only fantasies I have are getting off a 3 game fantasy FB skid this week.

But I got a pretty good read on you..."pussy" the cat.

I'll say it one more time...from what I read I don't agree with the felony assault charge on the victim. Nothing more to it than that.

Don't know where to start with all of that noise...

But I got a pretty good read on you..."pussy" the cat.

I'll say it one more time...from what I read I don't agree with the felony assault charge on the victim. Nothing more to it than that.

What are the odds that someone driving around Fargo when they are from Davenport by chance seeing their stolen pickup? How well did the thief and the macho man's son know each other?

No need to name call or get the testosterone up on an Internet forum.

Violence ain't cool.

There are times when it is appropriate if you had to defend your life, someone else's life, or your property. In those rare situations it also must be commensurate with the threat you face or else you change from the victim to the aggressor. The DA will weigh that.

That guy in Texas who beat to death ( with his fists) the man sexually assaulting his little girl- no charges, because a reasonable person would likely have done the same thing.

As a father, I probably would too in the heat of the moment.

A stolen car, a pipe beating...just seems excessive. I had a car stolen once...I felt no need to beat the guilty party.

• Upvote 1

My advice? Don't steal my car.

Agreed. I am of the opinion that criminals should get fewer rights than the rest of us...if you don't like it, stop stealing sh*t that doesn't belong to you...hopefully the robbery victim in this case gets off free or with a greatly reduced sentence...

I thought this site got rid of it's biggest tool in Watchmaker...glad to see someone else is stepping up to filling that void. Welcome aboard!

A tool is someone who cheers on beating someone with a metal pipe out of anger. The first step at getting over your PTSD is admitting there is a problem. You were violated and have standing anger issues with the violation. I am sure your health plan would cover the costs of therapy.

A tool is someone who cheers on beating someone with a metal pipe out of anger. The first step at getting over your PTSD is admitting there is a problem. You were violated and have standing anger issues with the violation. I am sure your health plan would cover the costs of therapy.

Why don't you PM with all the issues you have with me and how you feel I can go about fixing them. You jumped on this site a bascially a week ago and seem to be the new resident "expert" *cough* *Watchmaker* *cough* in all areas. I basically gave my opinion on this issue. You don't have to like it or agree with it so PM and enlighten me...otherwise keep your smart ass comments to yourself.

Apparently, some people on here are not fans of "innocent until proven guilty" and all the other due-process protections the accused are afforded in America. Would you prefer an authoritarian police state? Would that make you feel all warm and fuzzy and safe? Well, you can pack your bags and move to Singapore if you want that. As for me, I'll stick with America's imperfect (but preferrable) system of due process.

And please, enough of the name-calling. Make your points without making it personal.

• Upvote 1

Would you prefer an authoritarian police state? Would that make you feel all warm and fuzzy and safe?

Hmnnnn...drones flying around with the authority to kill US citizens...US veterans removing their medals at airports under the blanket of 'security' while others aren't searched so no one cries 'racism'...certain political leanings targeted by the IRS...phone calls and data being examined without probable cause...tell me another story about the shining beacon of freedom that America is in 2013, grampa.

Apparently, some people on here are not fans of "innocent until proven guilty" and all the other due-process protections the accused are afforded in America. Would you prefer an authoritarian police state? Would that make you feel all warm and fuzzy and safe? Well, you can pack your bags and move to Singapore if you want that. As for me, I'll stick with America's imperfect (but preferrable) system of due process.

I'd feel comfortable presuming the guy who is driving around in my stolen vehicle and offering me other items that he is saying aren't his but I can have them to leave him alone pretty guilty without going through the court system. More than happy to let him determine what his punishment is, but if I feel safe and have the chance, I'm not going to let him run away. That being said, beating a guy with a lead pipe may have taken it a little far but I'm not so certain the guy should be charged with a felony for it.

• Upvote 1

tell me another story about the shining beacon of freedom that America is in 2013, grampa.

Apparently, you didn't catch the end of my message. Here is a refresher course:

And please, enough of the name-calling. Make your points without making it personal.

For all our problems, I will take America's legal system over most legal systems in the world. And FYI, I am 39 years old.