SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Vermont - FRIDAY GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

Mark and Luke each need to center a line IMO otherwise Gaarder centers 3rd line. Again Chyzyk needs to play...he is Colton w better offensive skill. Chyzyk Luke Murphy is a very good 3rd line combo if you go w Mark OD Parks. Rocco's line stays as is.

I think you have to give Luke and Parks a little more time to develop the chemistry they've started to show. It's hard to show much line chemistry this early in the season, so I wouldn't want to split up one of the good "pairs" you do have.

I think you have to give Luke and Parks a little more time to develop the chemistry they've started to show. It's hard to show much line chemistry this early in the season, so I wouldn't want to split up one of the good "pairs" you do have.

I'm OK w that. Chyzyk needs to be the other wing then and that leave Mark w OD and Mitch again (or Murphy) and that line really gave you little last night. As much as I think OD underachieves most nights, Mitch is without question the lineup wildcard. I liked Murphy's game though.

Not much talk about Drake...but he is really really good though. He compliments Rocco well.

Will be interesting to see who Hak plays/sits tonight at D and F.

One more comment that was mentioned above...with the games now being called tighter, I was hoping to see more carrying of the puck into the O-zone with speed but it was dump and chase again almost all night long.

I was impressed with Stecher tonight. I think he stood out (in a good way) multiple times.

I was very impressed by stecher last night....extremely crafty player. I guess at this point I'm worried where Thompson fits in. I know he should, and you can't sit a 3rd rounder all year. He'll be gone by Christmas. But who to sit? Mattson is also a skilled player who should play.

Some observations from the game (in person)

1. Mattson had some issues, but he was paired with LaDue who really had some issues (sorry for those LaDue supporters). There were times, especially in the second period when it looked like LaDue wanted absolutely nothing to do with the puck. When he did touch it, he was in panic mode trying to figure out what to do with it. Mattson tried to cover for him but it did not look good. Out of all of the freshmen defense, LaDue was the only one who looked out of place (at least for part of the game). He also looked foot slow at times.

2. Gage Aasmus looked very good. He showed some strong offensive upside with speed, and he has quite an ability to knock down pucks thrown out of the zone along the wall. Vermont threw a number of clearing passes along the wall and Aasmus was able to keep them from going down the ice.

3. Stecher looked solid defensively. Didn't see much offensive push but he focused on what needed to be done.

4. Some of these freshmen forwards are going to be great if they hang around for 3-4 years. They have the ability to make some plays, although they lost it for about 12-13 minutes of the second period. They quit playing a team game and were doing too much PlayStation one against the world. Consistency is going to be an issue, at least for a while.

5. The whole team needs to work on catching passes, and not fanning on shots and passes. They lost control a number of times on passes that didn't go anywhere.

6. Gothberg looked absolutely solid. Saunders not so much, although there were deflections and he did stop a breakaway.

7. While Mitch maybe didn't do a lot out there, he did bring a physical element to the game. Brother Mark, meanwhile, looked pretty good.

8. Overall this team has some pretty good speed. It appears that Vermont got tired late in the second and third periods.

9. OD didn't look like he did much until later in the game. Then he began to be noticeable, especially after his goal.

10. This team has obviously been watching the football team. Way too many stupid penalties. And most of them (but not all) were good calls. The message was out, they are going to protect the puck carrier and watch for obstruction. And they did. So many of the penalties weren't of the hustle variety either. Roughing, elbowing, kneeing, etc.

11. A lot of the freshman got time on the penalty kill tonight. They really hustled, although some need to learn to temper that a little bit. Their all out hustle put them out of position several times and created opportunities for Vermont.

12. Total disappointment with Pattyn and Gaarder. Gaarder especially looked lost out there and did very little. It was fun watching Pattyn on Pattyn, especially late in the third period. In that late game matchup along the board, it was clear that UND Pattyn outplayed his brother.

13. Panzarella did not have a good game. While he maybe one of our more physical defensemen, he needs to play smarter. Dumb penalties.

14. It was a first game and much remains to be corrected, but there is some obvious chemistry at least among some pairs of players. Complete lines obviously aren't set yet, but there maybe some pairs of players that are.

Here's looking forward to the Saturday night game and hopefully see some progression and another win. I don't want to look ahead, but I am concerned about the games next weekend and what might happen to the psyche of this team. It would be great if we didn't have Miami right away.

Watched the entire game....ladue was not even close to as bad as you're making him sound. He'll suite up every game this year as he should.

Mattson is also a skilled player who should play.

I guess we watched a different game last night. Mattson was pretty bad and LaDue looked like a wide eyed Fr. D-man. He definitely did not look as good as the other 2 Fr. D-man

Though all the penalties were frustrating they were trying to clean up what has been complained about for years. There was only one penalty I saw that I didn't understand. As long as they stay consistent it should benefit this team with the speed it has.

I agree with some of those questioning OD and Mitch but trying to evaluate those that didn't play on pp or pk is tough from this game. I think the forward lines stay mostly the same because of this. Schmaltz back in and Thompson will rotate through. I wouldn't mind seeing Clarke start tonight just for confidence. We'll need him later but Zane is the guy.

Stecher may have saved the game when he cleared a puck past Zane.

I also didn't think LaDue was that bad, but I do think Panz and Ladue sit tonight.

Cags is to Rocco what Bochenski was to Parise, could get alot of points that way.

Lots of opportunity to get on to that 4th line.

Pattyn destroyed Bruneteau, he was never the same after getting crushed.

Luke Johnson looks like a player that was at one time projected to be a 1st round pick.

Murphy is fun to watch, but maybe is doing too much.

ATam will be great, but disappeared too much, great hands on the goal though.

I guess we watched a different game last night. Mattson was pretty bad and LaDue looked like a wide eyed Fr. D-man. He definitely did not look as good as the other 2 Fr. D-man

We'll see, maybe ladue wasn't perfect but you don't play to play with his confidence. But I am confused as to how Keaton gets into the lineup...maybe it is mattson.

Though all the penalties were frustrating they were trying to clean up what has been complained about for years. There was only one penalty I saw that I didn't understand. As long as they stay consistent it should benefit this team with the speed it has.

I agree with some of those questioning OD and Mitch but trying to evaluate those that didn't play on pp or pk is tough from this game. I think the forward lines stay mostly the same because of this. Schmaltz back in and Thompson will rotate through. I wouldn't mind seeing Clarke start tonight just for confidence. We'll need him later but Zane is the guy.

I was watching the game with a former pro player and he said it was the worst officiating game he's ever witnessed....and he was not a fan of either team (gopher fan).

I was watching the game with a former pro player and he said it was the worst officiating game he's ever witnessed....and he was not a fan of either team (gopher fan).

Reffing was brutal to say the least. They made the WCHA officials look like they knew what they were doing in the past. Way to ticky tacky. No flow to the game waht so ever.
  • Upvote 1

Count me among those who felt Ladue looked like he didn't belong. He was afraid of the puck most of the night. Stecher and Ausmus both looked good along with the fr forwards for the most part though. Ladue and Panz should both sit tonight.

LaDue will be a every night Dman before the year ends but he just seemed to not have it last night. Panz and Mattson could be the 2 watching by the holiday break.

LaDue will be a every night Dman before the year ends but he just seemed to not have it last night. Panz and Mattson could be the 2 watching by the holiday break.

Mattson drives me nuts. I really thought his freshman year he would be the next Genoway. I think he has almost regressed since then. Not good hockey sense.

I'm going to give the refs a break. They have, at most, reffed one game this year prior to tonight. They will get into the swing of things. I'm sure there was a lot of pressure from Adam to call things tight. We will see if they start to get a better sense of exactly how strict to call things in the next couple weeks.

I thought the reffing was good. They were calling everything which is OK if you are consistent. I thought they missed one obvious call each way. I think Stecher got his Jersey pulled, and Zane tripped someone after the play. It was nit picky but if you like skating and skill you have to do that.

Fire away... :-)

• Upvote 1

Thought the reffing was horrible and made the game hard to watch at times. Couple guys that dressed last night that I wouldn't expect to see in the lineup tonight are Mitch and Panzerella. If Clarke can't play any better than he did last night he might have trouble even keeping the backup job, imo this will be Zanes job and should be. Lastly what will it take to get Midco to bring in a decent announcer, Hammer was horrible again!