SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers back on the schedule in a couple of years?

82SiouxGuy

As an interesting and somewhat related aside to this discussion. There was an interesting comment in a recent NY Times article.

"The Big Ten associate commissioner Jennifer Heppel, who oversees hockey, said she would not rule out adding associate members for hockey alone, as the conference did for Johns Hopkins in lacrosse, though not soon."

Thoughts on UND perhaps becoming an associate member school for hockey in the Big ten one day?

Why would UND want to join a weaker conference?

Why would UND want to join a weaker conference?

Well, besides gobs of $$$, and media exposure, and brand recognition, having UND and let's say DU or Miami in the Big Ten would undoubtedly make it the strongest conference in college hockey. Disagree? Just an interesting thought, and would forever solve this scheduling debacle.

Well, besides gobs of $$$, and media exposure, and brand recognition, having UND and let's say DU or Miami in the Big Ten would undoubtedly make it the strongest conference in college hockey. Disagree? Just an interesting thought, and would forever solve this scheduling debacle.

Whether UND would be interested in moving to the Big 10 as an associate member would depend on how the NCHC is doing at the time, and on the terms of becoming an associate member. If there is a benefit for UND to become a member they will definitely consider it.

As an interesting and somewhat related aside to this discussion. There was an interesting comment in a recent NY Times article.

"The Big Ten associate commissioner Jennifer Heppel, who oversees hockey, said she would not rule out adding associate members for hockey alone, as the conference did for Johns Hopkins in lacrosse, though not soon."

Thoughts on UND perhaps becoming an associate member school for hockey in the Big ten one day?

As big of a UND fan I am, I don't think UND fits the criteria of what the Big Ten is looking for even if it is just for an BTHC-only affiliation.

We were already in the strongest conference for the last 50 years, WCHA, until you and UW ran away for more money and the chance to play on Tuesday afternoons and Sunday mornings on BTN. Penn State effed all this up...they should have joined the CCHA for a couple years until their program had a chance to develop...That said, it sucks that we dont get to beat up on you guys and the BADgers in conference anymore. ;)

There was a time when this rivalry was fueled in part by Northern Minnesota kids in Warroad, Roseau, Thief, etc identifying with UND's smaller, rural character as opposed to the mpls/stpaul kids and wanting to play and beat them while playing for UND. Northern Minn and the range claimed an ownership of the hockey tradition in the state, much like kids growing up in small towns all over Canada did.

Now, kids headed for D1 college hockey end their high school years playing in far from home, teammates with kids from all over, including former rivals. UND and UMinn are neighboring schools with a great traditional rivalry, but it will wane, IMO. I hope I'm wrong, and probably am, and I will still get juiced up for the games they play against each other, but it will slowly change.

But don't throw away those frozen gophers in the freezer--there's still hope.

As a Gopher fan, I want to see UND on the schedule, but I'd also like to see teams from out East, DU, CC, etc.. on the schedule as well. I'm pretty sure most Gopher fans feel the same way.

But only if those teams come to your barn...

But only if those teams come to your barn...

Problem is, to play a BC, BU, UNH, etc...you have to return the favor and visit them. And with only 4 available non-conference games, that becomes tough. Which is why I don't see UMN locking into an every year type of deal.

So no, not just in our barn. We played in Vermont last season, are playing at Notre Dame this season, and will be visiting BC/Northeastern next year. All part of the new Big Ten/Hockey East Challenge.

Gophers also gave up two games at Mariucci to play in the North Star Cup, where revenue will be split. So 18 homes games probably isn't to different than what UND plays.

Whether UND would be interested in moving to the Big 10 as an associate member would depend on how the NCHC is doing at the time, and on the terms of becoming an associate member. If there is a benefit for UND to become a member they will definitely consider it.

They shouldn't consider it at all. If Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, or Nebraska decided to add hockey to their list of school sports, North Dakota, Miami, Denver, etc. would immediately have their 'associate member' status 86'd.

Fool me once, Minny and WI, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

They shouldn't consider it at all. If Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, or Nebraska decided to add hockey to their list of school sports, North Dakota, Miami, Denver, etc. would immediately have their 'associate member' status 86'd.

Fool me once, Minny and WI, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I'm sure they will take that into consideration, too. Everyone keeps saying that none of the other Big 10 schools are going to add hockey, so I'm not sure that this is the biggest concern right now. But, if it helps you to hold a grudge..., I don't think that the administration at UND will do that if they think it's a smart long term decision for the program.

I'm sure they will take that into consideration, too. Everyone keeps saying that none of the other Big 10 schools are going to add hockey, so I'm not sure that this is the biggest concern right now. But, if it helps you to hold a grudge..., I don't think that the administration at UND will do that if they think it's a smart long term decision for the program.

If you would have told me in March of 2000 that before the Sioux would win another title, Penn State would have a hockey team, the CCHA wouldn't exist anymore, and Minnesota and Wisconsin would leave the WCHA, I wouldn't have believed it.

• Upvote 2

If you would have told me in March of 2000 that before the Sioux would win another title, Penn State would have a hockey team, the CCHA wouldn't exist anymore, and Minnesota and Wisconsin would leave the WCHA, I wouldn't have believed it.

Even the Penn State athletic department may not believed it. Depends on when they found out they were going to get a huge donation designated for hockey. How many more Big 10 schools are going to get that kind of donation? How many Big 10 schools are going to take Big 10 television money and start a hockey program? With a 6 team league they have plenty of room to grow, it just depends on what kind of conference they want.

Not sure if it's something worth looking in to, but last night on BTN during the Penn State game Eddie Olczyk said that he believes it's only a matter of time before Northwestern, Illinois and Iowa add teams. I hope he's right.

Not sure if it's something worth looking in to, but last night on BTN during the Penn State game Eddie Olczyk said that he believes it's only a matter of time before Northwestern, Illinois and Iowa add teams. I hope he's right.

He may be right. Iowa and Illinois are 2 schools I always thought should consider it. But what does "a matter of time" mean in years? 2, 5, 20?

He may be right. Iowa and Illinois are 2 schools I always thought should consider it. But what does "a matter of time" mean in years? 2, 5, 20?

That's a good question. He didn't really give any sort of clue to that. I'd imagine sometime in the next 5 years.

Cough..... NCHC...... cough

No way the NCHC takes on an add number of teams. I think the money and influence of the Big 10 will be enough to draw 2 new schools into that conference before the NCHC will find 2 schools ready and able to join its conference.