SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers back on the schedule in a couple of years?

82SiouxGuy

No way the NCHC takes on an add number of teams. I think the money and influence of the Big 10 will be enough to draw 2 new schools into that conference before the NCHC will find 2 schools ready and able to join its conference.

Wasn't this one of the reasons we split away from the WCHA to begin with? To give future schools adding hockey an attractive landing spot? I think a Big12 school would be a nice addition. Figuring out the schedule wouldn't be that difficult (we already have unbalanced scheduling) and come tournament time, sorry 9th placed team, you stunk all season and don't get to play anymore.

Wasn't this one of the reasons we split away from the WCHA to begin with? To give future schools adding hockey an attractive landing spot? I think a Big12 school would be a nice addition. Figuring out the schedule wouldn't be that difficult (we already have unbalanced scheduling) and come tournament time, sorry 9th placed team, you stunk all season and don't get to play anymore.

9 teams is a disaster. Just ask the CCHA about its good times with playing different teams each weekend or doing the home-at home weekends. No continuity whatsoever.

The "big money" schools of the WCHA left because they didn't want to be over-run by small-money schools like Minnesota State - Mankato, Michigan Tech, and Alaska-Anchorage (at least that was the line told to anyone who asked). That backfired big-time when Notre Dame didn't accept the NCHC bid to join the new conference. St Cloud joined by default simply because there was no one else left to take to the prom.

Why do you think that? Iowa has the Big 10 conference waiting for more teams to join...Iowa State would have to find a home.

Well Iowa is in the ACHA Division 2, and it looks like the school would have to build an area for the team. Iowa State is in the ACHA Division 1. Iowa State has an arena that they can play in, the Hilton Coliseum. The Hilton Coliseum is the home of Iowa State's basketball teams, but it can also has ice making ability. The Hilton Coliseum seats 14,356 and could be too big in the long run for the hockey team, but at least they wouldn't need to build a brand new arena right away.

A team that could come to the NCHC with Iowa State is the University of Cincinnati. It's close to Miami (OH) the Bearcats play in a 10,000 seat arena The Cincinnati Gardens.

As a Minnesota fan it will be good to have UND back on the schedule - a lot of 'our' fan base was pretty distraught over losing the rivalry games with you all.

Personally I don't think it is that big of a deal because I believe we will be running into each other often in regional's and if not there then at frozen fours. Our paths will continue to cross a lot. Maybe as soon as this Spring.

As per new entrants to either NCHC or BTHC... of all the schools listed above as possibles I see Iowa State and Illinois as the two only remotely likely to go D1 anytime soon and only Iowa State as a strong candidate.

Iowa State would be a fantastic addition to the NCHC if you all could swing it somehow. They are a reasonably large school and really do have a pretty good club program. D1 ACHA. I do business in Ames and talked to a few of their fans - they are as intense and loyal now as UNO fans were prior to going NCAA D1. I think they would be successful almost immediately.

Who you balance that out with I don't know. I can't see U Cincinnati as a viable option - they are a basketball / football school and really quite 'southern' in perspective [see the issues UAH has - not an easy road]. One possibility that comes to mind would be U Wisconsin Milwaukee. They are a lot like UNO in that they are a big urban campus looking for an identity break with Madison. I could see them doing a nice job and could use local arenas [where the Admirals play]. Marquette would seem even better but like Cincinatti they are so into basketball - I don't see them pursuing hockey. UWM needs something. Hockey could be it. They are currently D2 ACHA.

Or Northern Illinois - a growing power in football with a big fan base [money] and could fund the expansion. Something not all Illinois schools can say. But they don't have a decent 'local' arena... they play in the western suburbs of Chicago [Geneva St Charles]. But that isn't all bad since many of their alums live in Chicago area so maybe a mixed blessing [tougher for on campus students but shuttle buses could be arranged - a lot of the students are commuters anyway]. If the program takes off they could have games at the Sears Center - a little farther away than Geneva but A LOT bigger. NIU is D2 ACHA.

Last obvious candidate is University of Northern Iowa. Given all the nearby USHL clubs [including Waterloo] you'd think they'd have a pretty strong club - doesn't seem like it. I'd put them as a long shot but given their success in other sports [routinely upset Iowa and Iowa State] I think they would do okay once committed.

The two schools in the B1G most likely to add hockey are Illinois and Northwestern. Northwestern only because it has money [alums] and could utilize Chicago arenas inexpensively [sears again]. The knock against them is their fan support is lukewarm at best even when they are good. When bad their venues are empty. Why add another opportunity to produce empty venues?

Illinois has a very strong club program... D1 AHCA... but no D1 capable arena and precious little money [state school in one of the most financially troubled states in the US]. Assembly Hall could be retrofitted for both hockey and bouncy ball I suppose but unlikely and expensive [they have no money remember].

The other two schools sometimes mentioned as possibles for the B1G are Nebraska and Iowa. Nebraska has a strong club program but just reevaluated their position - said no. Iowa has neither a strong club program or institutional interest. If either school found a sack of money for sports they wouldn't put it toward hockey anyway - they would put it into football almost certainly [maybe some basketball too - especially Iowa]. They would sooner burn the money than 'waste' it on hockey.

Then there are 'the others'... Purdue / Indiana [basketball - no effing chance] and two new entrants Rutgers and Maryland. Rutgers maybe - ACHA D1 but they are new to the conference as it is... adding additional sports too? Not likely. Same with Maryland except add on an ACC / Southern / basketball focus. Really not likely.

Only way B1G adds hockey teams soon is if there are even more additions to B1G in general [not associate members either - real full time] and they already have a fully credible D1 NCAA program. Only one school comes to mind and they have said no, no, no. Notre Dame.

Given all the above my bet is you see the NCHC add teams before the B1G does even though the B1G already has members who could theoretically start programs. Just the way it is in a basketball and football first conference.

Have a great season and see you in the Spring.

• Upvote 2