SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Talked to my "source" from within the athletic dept. last night at hockey game...as of now he "feels" it is Bubba's job. Pflu not the guy. :sad: And app requirements were taylored for Tibs who wants to stay an NFL coach. It was Tibs job from the start if he wanted it. But my guy probably knows as much as gfhockey's guys but that what I got last night.

:) Hire Bubba. If there is new money available for staff, maybe he pulls DeBoer from SIU as OC. Both guys were top candidates, and one of them probably would be HC for us right now if 1) we would have had an actual AD in place when Lennon left and 2) we didn't hire from within. Personally, I think the staff at SIU gets a bad wrap. Look at their schedule, results and games. They are and have been a very, very good football team. Also, if they schedule a cupcake like everyone else early in the year they probably make the playoffs.

A majority of the alumni would support Bubba. A majority of the ex players would support Bubba. A majority of the fan base would support Bubba. Plus he would give everything he could give in order to 1) make UND football relevant again and not a laughing stock and 2) even better, get UND football back on top. Also looking at a long term hire, as this would be his last move IMO.

Let's do this Faison, HIRE BUBBA!!

In retrospect, I now have a better appreciation of why there couldn't have been a national search after Lennon left. Even if UND had actually had an a.d. at the time, can you imagine this ridiculous process starting in late December?

With an interim AD.

:) Hire Bubba. If there is new money available for staff, maybe he pulls DeBoer from SIU as OC. Both guys were top candidates, and one of them probably would be HC for us right now if 1) we would have had an actual AD in place when Lennon left and 2) we didn't hire from within. Personally, I think the staff at SIU gets a bad wrap. Look at their schedule, results and games. They are and have been a very, very good football team. Also, if they schedule a cupcake like everyone else early in the year they probably make the playoffs.

A majority of the alumni would support Bubba. A majority of the ex players would support Bubba. A majority of the fan base would support Bubba. Plus he would give everything he could give in order to 1) make UND football relevant again and not a laughing stock and 2) even better, get UND football back on top. Also looking at a long term hire, as this would be his last move IMO.

Let's do this Faison, HIRE BUBBA!!

I could support this....I just think my deboer has a special quality to him.

I don't get why the wait is a big deal anymore, we can't recruit for a month now anyway so it really doesn't matter. Everyone just needs to take a minute and relax.

Because of the recruiting calendar. I respectfully submit that I'm not quite sure how much more clear I can be about that.

National Signing Day is February 5th. They have to hire a staff after they hire a Head Coach. How long will it take to hire a staff? Open records. HR protocol. We will have the same problems facing the staff applicants, correct?

If hiring a Head Coach is not deemed an "emergency hire" then hiring staff assistants surely doesn't either.

UND Football cannot afford to miss out on a quality recruiting class. At this pace they will.

Just my opinion.

Yet people continue to complain about things like it's Brians fault. I have been a part of the hiring

process for over 5 years for a worldwide fortune 500 company and it is similar to this. There are things you can do to get through certain loopholes but you must abide by the process. Trust me when I say Brian is just as frustrated as we are right now.

Faison is the AD of a D1 university...the buck stops with him period.

As to the worldwide hiring procees of big companies, "similar" is a big big stretch IMO. My middle brother, a UND undergraduate, is a CFO of one of the bigger nonprofits in the nation and has worked for a 500 and having visited w him these companies have policies but they get their "guy" in a timely fashion regardless of process/policy.

The "real" world doesn't operate like a government "agency" like UND.

Because of the recruiting calendar. I respectfully submit that I'm not quite sure how much more clear I can be about that.

National Signing Day is February 5th. They have to hire a staff after they hire a Head Coach. How long will it take to hire a staff? Open records. HR protocol. We will have the same problems facing the staff applicants, correct?

UND Football cannot afford to miss out on a quality recruiting class. At this pace they will.

Just my opinion.

Would the new coach almost have to retain several of Muss's assistants just for recruiting purposes? Or would any coach aside from Freund and Meyers have to go through the infamous "process" again?

Yet people continue to complain about things like it's Brians fault. I have been a part of the hiring process for over 5 years for a worldwide fortune 500 company and it is similar to this. There are things you can do to get through certain loopholes but you must abide by the process. Trust me when I say Brian is just as frustrated as we are right now.

If he knew Muss was going to be let go even a week prior to the season ending, he could have pulled the trigger. The likely small list of applicants would not have been nearly as important as the additional week, assuming he has a plan.

If he knew Muss was going to be let go even a week prior to the season ending, he could have pulled the trigger. The likely small list of applicants would not have been nearly as important as the additional week, assuming he has a plan.

My only concern is that he tailored the job to someone that declined it....generally when you do that you know the person is going to accept.

For all the patience talk he has probably had the whole second half of the season to do this. He should know who he wants though it sounds like him and I disagree. He should know who he wants by now. You can race through the process if need be. I was hired by und before. Get off the pot and on with your day.

With the open records law in place, which coach would have applied for the job before their current season ended? An additional week is not worth hiring from a list of weak candidates.

For the Bubba supporters out there, help this season ticket holder (and I think many others) understand why I should be excited about a Bubba hire. All I see is a slightly older Chris Mussman. An excellent coordinator with a .500 record as a head coach and not real smooth in front of a microphone, when I hear him I do not think "that is a leader of men".

And I dont want to hear anything about he "bleeds UND" Mussman did too and so did most of his staff.

I am open minded.......sell me.

• Upvote 3

For the Bubba supporters out there, help this season ticket holder (and I think many others) understand why I should be excited about a Bubba hire. All I see is a slightly older Chris Mussman. An excellent coordinator with a .500 record as a head coach and not real smooth in front of a microphone, when I hear him I do not think "that is a leader of men".

And I dont want to hear anything about he "bleeds UND" Mussman did too and so did most of his staff.

I am open minded.......sell me.

Not necessarily sold on Bubba, but one difference from Muss is he comes from the defensive side of the ball. UND's defense has been unwatchable the last couple years.

With the open records law in place, which coach would have applied for the job before their current season ended? An additional week is not worth hiring from a list of weak candidates.

Which coach on that list would not have applied if last week was the deadline?

I think the 9 were forwarded to Faison so it wasn't his choice to not include Pflugrad if that is true

Is UND hiring a football coach or a data analyst? If the policy calls for the AD to not see any of the apps until the HR department forwards them, then it's a joke. If that's the policy, change the damn policy!
  • Upvote 1

Is UND hiring a football coach or a data analyst? If the policy calls for the AD to not see any of the apps until the HR department forwards them, then it's a joke. If that's the policy, change the damn policy!

I can't help but wonder exactly why this policy hasn't been changed already, at least in terms of the athletic department? If virtually no other school/state is doing it this way, shouldn't that be a clue that maybe this isn't the best way to do things?

I can't help but wonder exactly why this policy hasn't been changed already, at least in terms of the athletic department? If virtually no other school/state is doing it this way, shouldn't that be a clue that maybe this isn't the best way to do things?

Has it ever been brought up before as an issue for the athletic department? If not, who would have thought about changing it? The only other time I remember it being mentioned as an issue was when the President was hired. Obviously it is a much worse policy when it affects the hiring of a football coach, at least in the eyes of many.