SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

Jeff Mills is probably in the mix you would think: http://www.golobos.c...TCLID=209076729

His current salary is doable with the budget we have: http://www.usatoday....caaf/assistant/

• Led the 2012 UNM defense to nearly double the number of turnovers recorded (25) as it had in 2011 (13) and more than double the number of sacks (21) as in 2011 (10).
  • Guided the Lobos to the sixth most improved scoring defense in the nation from 2011 to 2012 (an 11.5-point improvement).
  • As secondary coach in 2010, Mills helped the Washington Huskies rank second in the Pac-10 and 27th in the nation in pass defense, allowing 194.4 yards per game.
  • Idaho's defensive coordinator in 1998, Mills' unit led the Big West in scoring defense and sacks as the Vandals won the conference and won the Humanitarian Bowl.
  • Served as assistant on the 1991 national champion Washington team.

Definitely should be getting an interview.

Jeff Mills is probably in the mix you would think: http://www.golobos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26000&ATCLID=209076729

His current salary is doable with the budget we have: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/ncaaf/assistant/

Mills would be a okay candidate. His DC experience at New Mexico and assistant experience at Washington should help. Only problem being his New Mexico defenses were pathetic.

Also, Mills is unemployed right now, so a salary number around 180k should be more than fine. His defense at New Mexico this year was so horrible it got him fired.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/unm-coach-defensive-coordinator-not-000825948--ncaaf.html

NDSU will announce Klieman as Bohl's successor at an 11 AM press conference per multiple sources.

Part of me wondered if Faison's guy was waiting to see about the NDSU job and now that it's filled he can move forward. Can't dismiss that as a possibility I wouldn't think.

To quote UNDvince..."You missed the point of my post(s)."

Back on point...heard last night at hockey game Pflu is out as candidate. If true I'm baffled by this considering who has applied.

As someone I believe mentioned earlier here if a "national search" gets this program Bubba...wow!!!

If Pflugrad didn't make it into the top 9, then this hiring process certainly has some flaws.

• Upvote 1

You can't brush aside what happened to him at Montana. It is a red flag no matter how you look at it.

Maybe to a robot or the mechanized human resources process that goes on at UND...

I agree that what happened in Montana does bring up some issues, I suppose. But I still think his credentials should have got him an on-campus interview. Not saying he should be downright hired, although he is my favorite, but his past success should have warranted an interview in my opinion.

Or common sense, they are dealing with the Hardee mess right now and that was a serious event he was involved in. UND isn't the only school that won't hire him....

Common sense tells me the entire 2011 Montana staff should have been removed if the football PROGRAM was responsible for concealing inappropriate player behavior. The fact only Pflugrad was fired, and one of his assistants was promoted to head coach, says a whole lot about what happened in Missoula. Nevertheless, I guess UND will be going with the "pretty boy" in this process, which will likely end up being Bubba Schweigert. Bubba will have to prove he can be a successful head coach. His UM-Duluth teams didn't start playing "big boy" football until he left; coincidence or not?

Common sense tells me the entire 2011 Montana staff should have been removed if the football PROGRAM was responsible for concealing inappropriate player behavior. The fact only Pflugrad was fired, and one of his assistants was promoted to head coach, says a whole lot about what happened in Missoula. Nevertheless, I guess UND will be going with the "pretty boy" in this process, which will likely end up being Bubba Schweigert. Bubba will have to prove he can be a successful head coach. His UM-Duluth teams didn't start playing "big boy" football until he left; coincidence or not?

I would be shocked....I like DeWitt from FAU....He would be my 1st choice from the list who applied.

Pflugrad is not in the top 9. To be fair, he never had a shot like I had been trying to say all along. Right, wrong or indifferent, that was the case and I can certainly understand it. Weber State did pass on him too, that's confirmed.

Jeff Mills? I have no interest in hiring a head coach who was just forced out as DC from New Mexico by Bob Davie. None.

2013 New Mexico Defense:

- 43 ppg allowed

- 257 rushing ypg allowed

- 259 passing ypg allowed

- 516 total ypg allowed

Although I do realize there is a rich history and winning tradition for their football program down there. ???

I know many people on here are very concerned about the hiring and decision making process for a variety of reasons, some of which is justifiable.

If Jeff Mills is in the 'final 9' then I have absolutely zero faith in this whole process.

Pflugrad is not in the top 9. To be fair, he never had a shot like I had been trying to say all along. Right, wrong or indifferent, that was the case and I can certainly understand it. Weber State did pass on him too, that's confirmed.

Jeff Mills? I have no interest in hiring a head coach who was just forced out as DC from New Mexico by Bob Davie. None.

2013 New Mexico Defense:

- 43 ppg allowed

- 257 rushing ypg allowed

- 259 passing ypg allowed

- 516 total ypg allowed

Although I do realize there is a rich history and winning tradition for their football program down there. ???

I know many people on here are very concerned about the hiring and decision making process for a variety of reasons, some of which is justifiable.

If Jeff Mills is in the 'final 9' then I have absolutely zero faith in this whole process.

I have to imagine that anyone without FBS experience doesn't have a shot for the job with how the job was written out....that's just my opinion though.

Oh I see, my bad.

So why DeWitt? Sell me on him.

Was defensive Player of the year at Northern Michigan and also has some pro experience at Saints training camp and AFL. He is familiar with the area as he coached at Northern Iowa for 3 years. Has coached everywhere on the defensive side of the ball and has had a lot of success at the FCS level. Most importantly he likes to keep it simple. He coaches a quick defense with sound positioning and tackling. He is also somewhat young and energetic....to me the guy just has the it factor. He would bring UND football back to what it should be and what made the defense a force for so many years.