SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-gopher Week

jk

Here it is folks!

I want to see the Gophers play TWO consecutive good games. Against a team like UND, which let's face it, there aren't many (any :( ) I believe the Gophers can't put together a solid effort two nights in a series. They haven't shown that they can do it yet, and this UND team will make it SO hard for them to do so. If they win on Friday night...to get Lucia his 400th...they will get worked Saturday for the much anticipated split.

Prove me wrong?

Yeah, because they didn't play well on consecutive nights against CC or MSUM...

Yes, neither is UND but you didn't make that distinction. ;) btw, they don't have to prove you wrong - all that matters is how the season ends not whether or not UM has the respect of a Sioux fan. :)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the Referee for this weekend's series? It may be important, because the Gophers have a very good power play. As a Sioux fan, I would be happy with a split. It is difficult to sweep on the road, particularly against a very talented team that is playing with confidence and playing very well. For the Sioux to get a split (or hopefully, a sweep) they need to stay out of the box. If they play 5 on 5 and get decent goaltending, they should get a split. This is a scary series for both teams because a sweep against would be devastating.

Frankly we have already split the "season" series and now playing for one game to claim supremacy - sick of hearing excuses for why the Goofs got their a$$es handed to them back in November. Didn't see much bitching from the Sioux when they only took 3 pts from St Cloud missing the WJ guys.

I am sick of hearing the excuses that happened after the Sioux Dominated the Gophers back in November. No offense but Andy Schnider had a high ankle sprain that has probably kept Andy off his game all season. Played hurt the second game. If and buts...

I don't think that you can say that the even with a sweep of this weekend by the Gophers that they would in turn be the supreme team of the WCHA or the nation. It will go a long way in moving them up in the rankings. Make know doubt about it that it was great to see the Gophers (or any WCHA team) beat up on teams from the other conferences, but all that really tells us is that our conference just may be stronger. So in this case our fifth place team is better than there conferences 1st place team.

Frankly, it wouldn't disappoint me (over the long run) to see the Gophers return the favor to the Sioux this weekend. Winning the conference is great, but these days means little if you have already solidified a spot in the NCAA tourney, which I feel confident these two teams have already done. If the Goofs were to beat the Sioux this weekend it may put a little more gas on the fire for a matchup TBD at the Final Five and/or Reagional. If I have had one complaint about Sioux teams in the past couple of seasons, it is their inability to get themselves up for games that they have felt confident about. We all do amazing things with a little fear in our blood.

Prediction for the weekend. Goofs come out charged and to recover dignity from their ass kicking at the Ralph and get Chia Pet his 400th win, 6-4 Goofs. Sioux will rebound Saturday night and catch the Goof flat on their heels and get out to an early lead and hold on to a tight 3-2 win.

OK CRR, now I definiately can't be pleased. Why is everyone talking about getting swept or getting a split? If we are truly the team that we say we are every week, we should sweep the Gophers this weekend. We have over four great lines that have shown up this season. Even with the recent change with the Gophers, their players have been very inconsistent. If we have any hopes of winning it all this year, the team should be going into this expecting to work hard and get the sweep.

OK CRR, now I definiately can't be pleased.  Why is everyone talking about getting swept or getting a split?  If we are truly the team that we say we are every week, we should sweep the Gophers this weekend.  We have over four great lines that have shown up this season.  Even with the recent change with the Gophers, their players have been very inconsistent.  If we have any hopes of winning it all this year, the team should be going into this expecting to work hard and get the sweep.

Fedorov -

I agree with your comments.....I've been wanting to say(post) the same; I was going to wait until after the weekend....I feel the Sioux should sweep as well. This is a strong UND team!

I agree with your comments.....I've been wanting to say(post) the same; I was going to wait until after the weekend....I feel the Sioux should sweep as well. This is a strong UND team!

Thats a bold prediction but I would love to see it just to enjoy the moment.

I think the team will be ready for the Goofers this weekend. I look for them to jump on Briggs early and make them feel the pressure of puck cycling that UND should do in the Gopher end... I think Bucks could pump in a few goals this weekend.

Many great and also good UND teams have gone into the Ucch (and Williams or whatever it was called years ago) and not swept, so predicting a split is probably called being a realist.

I believe the last UND sweep there was in '80, which is a long damn time! And look at the great teams UND's had since then with no sweep . . . .

And although it is two big games, it does not make or break the season for either team. UND's '97 team went down there and got swept and came back and won (tie w/MN) the league championship, won the Final Five in overtime on a goal by Peter Armbrust and won the national championship.

In other words, enjoy the weekend, but there is really no use getting too up or too down because there is a lot of season left.

That being said, I hope UND wins both!

Frankly, it wouldn't disappoint me (over the long run) to see the Gophers return the favor to the Sioux this weekend.

I don't want to see the Sioux lose both this weekend. But a split might be a blessing in disguise. If the Sioux sweep and we need to face the Gophers in the Final Five or the NCAA's-or both, I would hate to "have" to beat them 5 or 6 times in a row in one season. If we do, that's great--but I think that would be tough. I would rather they lose one to them this weekend instead of in March or worse--April. But I'm sure the guys on the team would disagree and want to win them all, and I would certainly be okay with that too......

Shepherd or no Shepherd, if the Sioux don't take too many penalties, or if they decide to start scoring on the power play on a regular basis, I expect 3 or 4 points this weekend.

I live in the cities and have had to put up with seeing the Goophs win 2 in a row in person, so I'm ready for some revenge. If I see the Chokers win again in Boston, I may contemplate drinking a gallon of bleach.

It's on like Donkey Kong!!!!! Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you at Grandma's on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!

Respect to the Gophers and their crowd of supporters, in which I am not a part. Love to hear fans comments about the matchup and teams, and hope to see some GREAT HOCKEY. Hell, I'd be alright with both teams losing as long as the game was played fair and well.

Refs or no refs, please, please no 5-3s this weekend...in either direction. I love hockey and when it is played to its potential there's nothing better in the world.

GO SIOUX!!

I think the series will come down to penalties. The Sioux cannot afford any 5-3's and need to keep the 5-4's to a minimum. I have seen most of the games this year and I am very confident that they can beat any team even strength. Even in the BC series I thought the Sioux had a definite advantage when the side were even, but BC had a much better power play/special team play. I like the fact that Greene was benched last Saturday, this should send the right message and I don't expect him to take any bad penalties this w/e.

I would like to see the Sioux get off to better starts...It seems like they give up the first goal too often. They cannot expect to rely on third period dominance to win a national title. If they don't improve on the start there is a very good chance they will get beat in the playoffs. I would also like to see the goalies get above and stay above a 90% save rate. If they do these two things I really like their chances at title #8 this year.

I think both teams will be pumped up and come out flying on Friday. If the Sioux can come out of the first period without trailing they will win. I am a bit worried that the Olympic ice and emotions could get the better of them and result in power-play chances early. They need to adjust quickly to the larger ice and can't afford to fall behind 3-0 like St.Cloud. My guess for Friday is 4-3 Sioux.

Saturday will be a good test for the conditioning of both teams. By the third period there will be a lot of emotion and energy expended on the w/e. The hard-hitting will also take a toll. Last year the Sioux went into the 3rd period of the Sat. game tied (? I think it was 3-3) with a powerplay to start. There was a delay to start the period (ice wasn't set up) and then the Sioux gave up a short-handed goal and it was all downhill from there. This year the Sioux seem to be much better shape and that has translated into 3rd period dominance (averaging over 2 goals in just the 3rd period). My guess for Saturday is 5-3 Sioux (empty netter).

Shepherd or no Shepherd, if the Sioux don't take too many penalties, or if they decide to start scoring on the power play on a regular basis, I expect 3 or 4 points this weekend.

I live in the cities and have had to put up with seeing the Goophs win 2 in a row in person, so I'm ready for some revenge. If I see the Chokers win again in Boston, I may contemplate drinking a gallon of bleach.

It's on like Donkey Kong!!!!! Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you at Grandma's on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about you but I have attended several of the Grandmas gatherings with a mixed opinion. I enjoy heading down to Stubs and mixing it up with Gopher fans a little before the games (which by the way you can walk a short distance to). Not to deflate the alumni gathering any but it is nice to be amongst the enemies and listen to the difference in opinion from the other side. I don't paint my hair green but I'm damn proud to sport the UND Hockey cap on UM's campus!

I don't know about you but I have attended several of the Grandmas gatherings with a mixed opinion. I enjoy heading down to Stubs and mixing it up with Gopher fans a little before the games (which by the way you can walk a short distance to). Not to deflate the alumni gathering any but it is nice to be amongst the enemies and listen to the difference in opinion from the other side. I don't paint my hair green but I'm damn proud to sport the UND Hockey cap on UM's campus!

Wish I could track you down for a beer before one of the games but I won't be in town. Maybe in St. Paul before the Final Five Championship? :(

well, this thread has slowed WAY down...be lucky to hit 15 pages by game time...especially if you guys are coming down to watch...

WPoS

I could bump the page size down :) We bumped it up to 20 posts/pages as a reasonable contrast between page size/number of pages that will contain new posts for an average visitor. I think the default was 10 or 15.

Besides, I'm not sure quantity is an admirable goal :(