SiouxSports.com Forum

Anybody Else Worried?

IrishSiouxFan

I noticed at the game last night through advertising on the monitors that UND merchandise can be bought at the "Green & White" store. Normally I wouldn't care what they name the store that sells UND memorabilia, but im starting to get the feeling that the administration and media is trying to introduce this term to us as a potential new nickname. Is this all in my head, or is anybody else getting the feeling that were about to be spoon fed a terrible new moniker?

I noticed at the game last night through advertising on the monitors that UND merchandise can be bought at the "Green & White" store. Normally I wouldn't care what they name the store that sells UND memorabilia, but im starting to get the feeling that the administration and media is trying to introduce this term to us as a potential new nickname. Is this all in my head, or is anybody else getting the feeling that were about to be spoon fed a terrible new moniker?

The store is run by a private business known as GW Gear (Green and White Gear). It has been around for more than a year. They don't have a nickname that they can use to promote the school or products. UND has been known as the Green and White as a secondary and informal nickname for years. The media has to use something, just using UND gets very repetitive and doesn't always read well. If you go back and read Herald stories over the years, you would see the team being called Green and White even in stories where Sioux or Fighting Sioux are also used. There is so conspiracy. The paranoia runs very strong.
  • Upvote 2

I must have missed the adds from last year, I buy all of my gear from the Sioux Shop at the Ralph. I was aware that the Herald and Dan Hammer had referred to us as the Green and White in the past. I'm just hoping it's not something that'll stick.

I worry about the same thing when I see it in the Heraldo (not as much as it used to be, but still happens too much for my taste). I honestly don't want the PC police to latch onto this and start promoting "Green and White" as the "non-offensive choice to promote more diversity" or whatever garbage they might come up with. :silly::angry:

I think the sooner they start the winnowing down process of potential names, the sooner this becomes nothing more than a sideshow distraction.

The store is run by a private business known as GW Gear (Green and White Gear). It has been around for more than a year. They don't have a nickname that they can use to promote the school or products. UND has been known as the Green and White as a secondary and informal nickname for years. The media has to use something, just using UND gets very repetitive and doesn't always read well. If you go back and read Herald stories over the years, you would see the team being called Green and White even in stories where Sioux or Fighting Sioux are also used. There is so conspiracy. The paranoia runs very strong.

Good point, try writing a post game report with only UND, it doesn't work very well. Green and White has been around since I was here (1993) in one form or another....

Good point, try writing a post game report with only UND, it doesn't work very well. Green and White has been around since I was here (1993) in one form or another....

Contrary to what 82SiouxGuy says, I don't recall ever hearing anyone refer to UND as anything other than 'Fighting Sioux' in 1988 and 1992 (my four-year stint in Grand Forks). And what happened in 1993? That's right...the start of the 'NORTH DAKOTA' logo-less hockey jerseys...coincidence? Me thinks not...

• Upvote 1

Contrary to what 82SiouxGuy says, I don't recall ever hearing anyone refer to UND as anything other than 'Fighting Sioux' in 1988 and 1992 (my four-year stint in Grand Forks). And what happened in 1993? That's right...the start of the 'NORTH DAKOTA' logo-less hockey jerseys...coincidence? Me thinks not...

It didn't happen a lot, just once in a while. You see it more now, because of the nickname going away.

This topic has been covered before. This post from Teeder11, http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/16567-gf-heralds-wayne-nelson-calling-und-green-and-white/#entry537400, gives proof back to 1995. That was as far as he could go back in the GF Herald archives. I go back to the 1960's in Grand Forks and I remember the term Green and White being used in the 60's and 70's. For those of you that don't know, that was when the Sioux nickname first became an issue, but I don't know if that was why Green and White was used or not. MafiaMan may not remember that (I'm guessing that there may be a little loss of memory caused by alcohol, but that's only a guess), but the term Green and White has been used to refer to UND athletic teams for a long time. Maybe it wasn't used much between 1988 and 1992. I lived out of state during that period. But it was used as an alternative before that.

MafiaMan may not remember that (I'm guessing that there may be a little loss of memory caused by alcohol, but that's only a guess), but the term Green and White has been used to refer to UND athletic teams for a long time.

Zing!

The store is run by a private business known as GW Gear (Green and White Gear). It has been around for more than a year. They don't have a nickname that they can use to promote the school or products. UND has been known as the Green and White as a secondary and informal nickname for years. The media has to use something, just using UND gets very repetitive and doesn't always read well. If you go back and read Herald stories over the years, you would see the team being called Green and White even in stories where Sioux or Fighting Sioux are also used. There is no conspiracy. The paranoia runs very strong.

Please refer to the statements in bold. Anything beyond those and you'd be reading into something that isn't there.

This topic has been covered before. This post from Teeder11, http://forum.siouxsp...te/#entry537400, gives proof back to 1995. That was as far as he could go back in the GF Herald archives. I go back to the 1960's in Grand Forks and I remember the term Green and White being used in the 60's and 70's. For those of you that don't know, that was when the Sioux nickname first became an issue, but I don't know if that was why Green and White was used or not. MafiaMan may not remember that (I'm guessing that there may be a little loss of memory caused by alcohol, but that's only a guess), but the term Green and White has been used to refer to UND athletic teams for a long time. Maybe it wasn't used much between 1988 and 1992. I lived out of state during that period. But it was used as an alternative before that.

My math may be fuzzy but I think 1995 is after 1992... :lol:...I know the term has been used for a long time, I'm just saying I don't recall ever hearing any Sioux sports being referred to as 'Green and White' during '88-'92.

• Upvote 1

I added a CBS Sports app to my ipad the other night and its still calls UND the Fighting Sioux...so awesome that idiots can control everything and things like this pop up and remind you of what is right in the world!

The Score app still uses the Minnesota Vikings old logo...it's not uncommon given the ever-changing world of sports these days to miss a few things.

Heck, the Vikings players wore last year's white pants in training camp...

My math may be fuzzy but I think 1995 is after 1992... :lol:...I know the term has been used for a long time, I'm just saying I don't recall ever hearing any Sioux sports being referred to as 'Green and White' during '88-'92.

Inquiring minds want to know: "Just how much do you remember from that time period?"