SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs Niagara - NCAA 1st round

AZSIOUX

I hope Zane will be in goal.

I like Knight Kristo Rocco line, and I would like to see St. Clair Gaarder Caggiula as well.

We need to generate some offense, as the Niagara goalie is going to be solid.

I like the fact that they have phased out olympic ice from NCAA tourney.

The TV timeouts WILL be a factor, and by loading our first two lines we should be able to capitalize on it, like other teams do.

Officiating will be what it always is. We really will need to stay out of the box as much as possible, and maybe that means backing off on some big hits from our big boys. If they have the discipline to do that.

Our defense needs to be solid. No stupid turn overs in our end that lead to goals.

Hak needs to be flexible and think on his feet, because other teams will be doing exactly that against us and we need to be able to react appropriately. When a horse is dead, stop beating it.

I hope Zane will be in goal.

I like Knight Kristo Rocco line, and I would like to see St. Clair Gaarder Caggiula as well.

We need to generate some offense, as the Niagara goalie is going to be solid.

I like the fact that they have phased out olympic ice from NCAA tourney.

The TV timeouts WILL be a factor, and by loading our first two lines we should be able to capitalize on it, like other teams do.

Officiating will be what it always is. We really will need to stay out of the box as much as possible, and maybe that means backing off on some big hits from our big boys. If they have the discipline to do that.

Our defense needs to be solid. No stupid turn overs in our end that lead to goals.

Hak needs to be flexible and think on his feet, because other teams will be doing exactly that against us and we need to be able to react appropriately. When a horse is dead, stop beating it.

I was thinking about that a few days ago and wondering if that's part of the reason Hak has used Rocco on multiple lines looking ahead to the tournament when you can manipulate the game a little more with stoppages in play and lean on your top 2 lines heavily like Duluth did 2 years ago.

I'm not sure how many automatic TO's they have during the regionals, but there is a bunch if you get to the FF, and you can really extend minutes for your studs if you want to.

I was thinking about that a few days ago and wondering if that's part of the reason Hak has used Rocco on multiple lines looking ahead to the tournament when you can manipulate the game a little more with stoppages in play and lean on your top 2 lines heavily like Duluth did 2 years ago.

I'm not sure how many automatic TO's they have during the regionals, but there is a bunch if you get to the FF, and you can really extend minutes for your studs if you want to.

I think as a general rule they have a TV timeout at or near the 15:00 mark, the 10:00 mark and the 5:00 mark.

4 one minuete TV timeouts a period....16,12,8,4 minute mark of each period. Is that any different then regular season games at home?

4 one minuete TV timeouts a period....16,12,8,4 minute mark of each period. Is that any different then regular season games at home?

Probably not much if any, if it wasn't so painful I would watch the Michigan replay and see how many commercial breaks they took there, it seemed like more than 4 per period but there were so many stoppages with frozen pucks and them dumping the puck into the stands it might have seemed worse than it was.

But I guess even that would keep the 3rd and 4th lines on the bench more.

in my wildest dreams I just can see yale beating minnesota. I think they can keep it close and maybe lose 4-3 or something like that but they won't beat minnesota.

I didn't think there was any way that Yale would beat UND a few years back either, but all it takes is a poor showing by one team, or a hot goalie to change everything. Anything is possible in this tourney, which is why the Sioux better be ready for Niagara. Niagara would love to pull the huge upset; as would Yale.

I think as a general rule they have a TV timeout at or near the 15:00 mark, the 10:00 mark and the 5:00 mark.

The WCHA ran a TV TO at the first stop in play under 15, 10, and 5 minutes (with some exceptions, like not during a power play).

I think UND got a good draw with this one. Niagara is a team that is quite possibly the most overrated team in the history of the PWR. Only 21 in the KRACH rankings and their SOS is 53 out of 59. I know it's playoff time and anything can happen, but I fully expect UND to completely out class Niagara in every aspect of the game. 6-1 UND.

I think UND got a good draw with this one. Niagara is a team that is quite possibly the most overrated team in the history of the PWR. Only 21 in the KRACH rankings and their SOS is 53 out of 59. I know it's playoff time and anything can happen, but I fully expect UND to completely out class Niagara in every aspect of the game. 6-1 UND.

I hope you're right although I hope the players don't buy into that #Holy Cross Yale Michigan

Goon, we may have to have a talk here pretty soon. you are betting way too many beers, I'm afraid you may have a problem. :D

:) I have been very good this year. Lost 38 pounds this year, cut down on the drinking and eating bad foods. Went to the Final Five and didn't gain any weight. Pleased with that.

:) I have been very good this year. Lost 38 pounds this year, cut down on the drinking and eating bad foods. Went to the Final Five and didn't gain any weight. Pleased with that.

Congrats! That is awesome. Very hard to eat clean and not drink beer, especially when watching SIOUX hockey!

I dont know if its been mentioned yet but Saturday's championship game on TV follows LACROSSE

High stakes championship lacrosse? Or regular run of the mill lacrosse that will go endless overtimes? Not that either justifies joining hockey already in progress

Goon, we may have to have a talk here pretty soon. you are betting way too many beers, I'm afraid you may have a problem. :D

Lost a bet to me. I should've bet him that we were going to out the first round of the WCHA this year, but didn't. I did bet that CC couldn't hold the lead. I was wrong and paid up at McGov's!

Whomever the purple eagle player was that was interviewed today mentioned embracing the challenge if its top line vs top line. Also mentioned why not push them around a little bit. Hobey7 lights the lamp at least once. Lets go sioux!!

Not sure why anyone would rather play Yale when they snuck into the tourney. Niagara was up to Number 7 in the PWR late in the season until Canisius upset them.

My take:

1. I think it really hurts us to be in the same regional as Minnesota. Not because I'm scared of the Gophers but it takes the focus off Game 1. The boys need to really be focused on Niagara now.

2. We need to solve Chubak early. The longer Niagara goes and keeps the game close the more they think they can actually win. We are a much better team but we need to show it by scoring.

3. Everyone talks about Rocco. Rocco needs his hands to catch up to his feet. Either that or he needs to slow his hands down and not be so fast on the release. He needs to relax and let his talent take over.

4. If we get past Niagara I think we'll be playing the Gophers. Then I think the game comes down to penalty kill and power play. We need to be better than they are and that will be tough. This year the Gophers are huge and draw a lot of penalties cycling down low (the way a lot of Sioux teams used to). This Sioux team is not a physical team and they need to be patient when the Gophers are in our zone. Also they need to stop pushing everything into the high slot since it makes them so susceptible to odd man rushes when they make mistakes. This time of year if you are plus on the power play you usually win. I feel that this North Dakota team is more talented than Minnesota. We just need to let it all hang out and play like we did the last game against Tech where the focus was shots on goal. If we do that and get decent goaltending we make the Frozen Four.

First Niagara. And what the heck is a Purple Eagle?

• Upvote 1