SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ MANKATO - Friday

AZSIOUX

MN and UND will each get either Tech or BSU, and neither one looks like it will be a picnic. I've seen enough of Bemidji the last three games to respect them and realize they're not only not horrible, but not bad and in fact even a good solid team. One that could well win that series against either MN or UND, if they get a few bounces and some loose officiating.

Tech has had their ups and downs this season, but they're obviously playing well now, having thrashed SCSU last week and now shutting out CC last night. Aside from UAA, any of the league's teams could be in St. Paul in two weeks.

Watched the last period of the UM/BSU...tough to watch BSU puke it away. That was their shot to get a game this weekend.

If you think Bemidji puked that game away last night, it's only because the official decided to stick his finger down their collective throats with about 6:00 in the game. The penalty call directly affected the outcome. I saw very few stretches where Minnesota actually controlled the play and tempo.

BTW...9 of Bjugstad's 19 goals are on the PP.

I think Bemidji gives Goldy another tough game tonight.

If you think Bemidji puked that game away last night, it's only because the official decided to stick his finger down their collective throats with about 6:00 in the game. The penalty call directly affected the outcome. I saw very few stretches where Minnesota actually controlled the play and tempo.

BTW...9 of Bjugstad's 19 goals are on the PP.

I think Bemidji gives Goldy another tough game tonight.

If there ever were a couple weekends of games that show MN getting calls, even weak calls, that the Sioux do not, it was last weekend and this one, each against Bemidji. Bemidji simply played well last night, outplayed the gophs through major portions of the game, and did not do the tackling/take downs that they were allowed to do last Saturday. Maybe they will try that tactic and see how it goes tonight, but I doubt they will, because the calls will be made.

Those that think the Sioux pissed away a point last Saturday are simply wrong, a multitude of would be scoring chances were eliminated by non calls. If Bemidji gets to to that against the Gophers, Gophers would lose 2 points.

I think BSU would be much preferable to Tech, but clearly not as important as getting the #2 seed and/or a share of the McNaughton. For as hard as BSU plays, they lack finishing ability and their goalie is questionable. I could certainly see BSU winning a playoff game, but no way to I see them winning two.

• Upvote 1

I thought the boys looked a little average last night. The first line was almost non existent but a wins a win. MSU sure impressed me too, they have some decent skaters. Rocco and mark Mac were the best players on the ice however.

• Upvote 1

If there ever were a couple weekends of games that show MN getting calls, even weak calls, that the Sioux do not, it was last weekend and this one, each against Bemidji. Bemidji simply played well last night, outplayed the gophs through major portions of the game, and did not do the tackling/take downs that they were allowed to do last Saturday. Maybe they will try that tactic and see how it goes tonight, but I doubt they will, because the calls will be made.

Those that think the Sioux pissed away a point last Saturday are simply wrong, a multitude of would be scoring chances were eliminated by non calls. If Bemidji gets to to that against the Gophers, Gophers would lose 2 points.

Not sure how you can make such a strong statement as "simply wrong" man. While, I don't share the same feelings of "catastrophe" that some did on here when we tied, we did piss away an opportunity. If SCSU loses tonight and we win, I know I'll for sure have last weekends HOME GAME vs a team that has FIVE wins all year in conf play stuck in my head for a couple of days.

But like others have said, throughout a year a lot of teams "piss away pts", but that still doesn't change the fact that we did last Sat and it MAY prove to be costly depending on what happens tonight.

But, my opinion is just as "right" as yours and others and yours is just as "right" as mine. :)

At the end of the day it's a message board and we'll have a lot of differing opinions. That's what makes it fun!

• Upvote 2

I see. So we had them and MN didn't.

Do we get the #2 seed with a win tom? Or does MN? I'm assuming SCSU just wrapped up the #1, or could they fall with a loss tom and a UND/UM win due to tiebreakers?

Per Brad's Blog:

1. UND will be either the No. 2 or No. 3 seed for the WCHA playoffs. In order to be the No. 2 seed, UND needs to get one more point than Minnesota tonight.

2. UND is guaranteed to play either Michigan Tech or Bemidji State.

3. If Minnesota beats Bemidji State tonight, UND will be locked in against Michigan Tech for the first round, no matter what happens in the other games.

4. UND can still clinch a share of the WCHA title and be proclaimed MacNaughton Cup champs with a win coupled with a Wisconsin win over St. Cloud State. The Huskies have already clinched their share and will be the No. 1 seed for the playoffs. They will take on Anchorage.

could someone please tell me what the hell hak was doing taking rocco off the top line replacing him with a true freshman who hasn't done a whole lot this year except for a three game stretch in december. typical hakstol always playing with line combos despite having only one loss in the last month. this truly is sad to be still messing with them and to have not settled onto a top line. no need to guess where the inconstistency of this years team comes from, the top.

• Upvote 1

could someone please tell me what the hell hak was doing taking rocco off the top line replacing him with a true freshman who hasn't done a whole lot this year except for a three game stretch in december. typical hakstol always playing with line combos despite having only one loss in the last month. this truly is sad to be still messing with them and to have not settled onto a top line. no need to guess where the inconstistency of this years team comes from, the top.

Top line was stale last weekend. Rocco and Rowney each had a goal last night which gives team more balance. Kristo and Knight will be fine.

Typical "fan" reaction, thinking that they know more about hockey than the coaches that have lost 4 out of their last 20 games. You may not have noticed, but some very successful coaches never settle on lines, and can continually change them through every game they coach. Having set lines is not a guarantee of success in any way. Changing lines is not a guarantee of failure.

Why don't you do yourself and all of us a break and quit following this terrible team and worse coaching staff ever.........

This season for whatever reason there has been more negativity towards a UND hockey team than I can remember.

No doubt, and I don't know why. In the seven championship years the LEAST amount of games lost was 7, and this team is sitting at 6 right now, it's not like they're playing .500 hockey. Even the loaded team 2 years ago lost 9 times. I guess in some peoples minds you have to go undefeated at home and only split with Denver and Minnesota on the road, otherwise you fail.

Why don't you do yourself and all of us a break and quit following this terrible team and worse coaching staff ever.........

where did I say it was terrible? and where did I say it was the worst coaching staff ever? tell me this, going back to our last titles in 2000 or 1997 or 1987 were we still messing with top line this late in the season? if we were then i will just shut up on the sublect then.

I guess in some peoples minds you have to go undefeated at home and only split with Denver and Minnesota on the road, otherwise you fail.

Nah, the splits are unacceptable. Anything less than a win and a tie on the road against DU and Minnesota is a total fail.

I didn't mind the change at all, probably trying to balance the scoring a little more and also trying to get Caggiula going a little since he was perfroming pretty well earlier this season but has been in a little scoring slump lately.

Nah, the splits are unacceptable. Anything less than a win and a tie on the road against DU and Minnesota is a total fail.

Giving up any points to either DU or Minnesota would be unacceptable to some. Some would complain about the coach and the team even if they went undefeated while winning the National title.
  • Upvote 1

Giving up any points to either DU or Minnesota would be unacceptable to some. Some would complain about the coach and the team even if they went undefeated while winning the National title.

Sioux make NCAA tourny=We should make it every year!

Sioux make frozen four=Waiting for them to choke!

Sioux finish runner up=Hakstol can't win the big one!

Sioux win national championship=About time a Sioux team didn't piss it down their leg!

There is just no satisfying certain people.....High expectations aren't a bad thing, comes with success I guess.

Banner 8 would still need an asterisk and the comment 'Yea, 8th NCAA title, but we tied Bemidji State at home on Senior Night'.

By the way, we both need to have our foots in our mouths after Minnesota's 10-1 win last night. Because no way would a team like BSU be able to play with Minnesota. I mean 4-3? Come on....What were the shots? Like 55-12? Wait.....28-27.

Be careful about subtle humor around here, you'll get called a dolt and a clown and all sorts of things here at Sioux Puck Live.

• Upvote 2

If there ever were a couple weekends of games that show MN getting calls, even weak calls, that the Sioux do not, it was last weekend and this one, each against Bemidji. Bemidji simply played well last night, outplayed the gophs through major portions of the game, and did not do the tackling/take downs that they were allowed to do last Saturday.

So BSU did not engage in "tackling/take downs" yet the Gophers still got all the calls?