SiouxSports.com Forum

UND going FBS

siouxfan512

So this would be far fetched considering UND only recently transitioned to the FCS level, but it seems fund to discuss. What are the thought on UND ever making the move up to the FBS level. I have always heard it is not "as big" of a transition as D2 to FCS is.

Is this something UND could eventually see in the future. Our facilities for several sports are already competitive at that level, especially with the addition of the indoor practice facility.

What conference could we potentially fit in to, if we ever made the move?

Is this an eventual reality, or just a dream?

Thoughts

There would be a lot of hurdles before they could even think about making that move.

You have to average 15k attendance, which the Alerus doesn't hold, so there's two issues.

The increase in cost is estimated between 4 and 5 million/year so that's an issue.

You realistically need to have some history of success at the FCS level to even get a look from a FBS conference, and obviously that is an issue.

Not saying it could never happen, but it's many moons down the road right now.

There would be a lot of hurdles before they could even think about making that move.

You have to average 15k attendance, which the Alerus doesn't hold, so there's two issues.

The increase in cost is estimated between 4 and 5 million/year so that's an issue.

You realistically need to have some history of success at the FCS level to even get a look from a FBS conference, and obviously that is an issue.

Interesting to know some of the requirements. Certainly possible, eventually, but as you said it would definitely take some time. It would be alot of fun to see UND playing some bigger schools, or even making a bowl game. But at least we are playing some better FCS competition compared to the D2 opponents from a few years ago.

• Upvote 1

As for the stadium issue, that won't be a problem either. Once I'm a billionaire (any day now), I play to donate a football stadium to match The Ralph. So at least UND has that to look forward to :)

I agree that it's probably not in the cards in the immediate future. However the school and administration had better be prepping themselves for the move so that when and if the right opportunity presents itself, we are ready to do it. Our hand could be forced to do it again like it was when we went from D2 to D1. If we start to position ourselves now, the jump won't be so severe if and when it happens.

I think the biggest variable is an on-campus football stadium, which at this point is a way down the road pipe dream. Hopefully within 20 years, it becomes a realistic option.

Lets prove ourselves at the Division 1 and FCS levels first.

I agree that it's probably not in the cards in the immediate future. However the school and administration had better be prepping themselves for the move so that when and if the right opportunity presents itself, we are ready to do it. Our hand could be forced to do it again like it was when we went from D2 to D1. If we start to position ourselves now, the jump won't be so severe if and when it happens.

I think the biggest variable is an on-campus football stadium, which at this point is a way down the road pipe dream. Hopefully within 20 years, it becomes a realistic option.

Lets prove ourselves at the Division 1 and FCS levels first.

Agreed, the administration needs to at least formulate a plans for When and If. The last thing the school would want to do is miss an opportunity like that.

And as for the stadium, on campus football would really be a great thing. I have to believe it would bring alot more student support if the game was right there for them. Tailgating is pretty good in GF now, but if you put it on campus the atmosphere would be great.

I'm not worried about fbs. When the big boys separate from the lower level of fbs and 3 tiers of d1 are created we will be in the second tier which would be like moving up to fbs with a little less cost. Either way we won't stay where we are forever.

Who else would you consider a second tier team? Big sky teams? WAC teams?

I'm not worried about fbs. When the big boys separate from the lower level of fbs and 3 tiers of d1 are created we will be in the second tier which would be like moving up to fbs with a little less cost. Either way we won't stay where we are forever.

I agree 100% with this. The top level of FBS is going to start realizing how much money they are leaving on the table once their "playoffs" start and are going to have no desire to share it.

In order for UND to be considered by an FBS lower tier conference (MAC or WAC), UND will have to have a new stadium (15K +) and an established FCS resume. Right now, UND has neither. This is why Montana is always a hot name when potential 'FCS to FBS' schools are mentioned; Montana has a 25K+ stadium and they are well known as a national FCS power.

UND will go FBS but not the FBS of today. I imagine...10-15 years from now. Only it will be a 3 tier DI with the BCS conference in the upper tier, the rest of the FBS (your MAC, MW, etc) in the middle tier, and the lower tier is your FCS conferences. UND should go only if there is a playoff for a National Title and not just play for the Deek's Pizza Bowl. They will have to move out of the Alerus and into a new renovated Memorial Stadium with capacity of 20-25k, but if we can't get 10,000 average now its not going to work. Then what conference would UND go to? Mountain West would be great. But maybe a new WAC conference with Big Sky/MVFC teams in it. But again I don't see UND and the word FBS in the same sentence until after 2020-2030 range.

• Upvote 1

3 tiers pipe dream. Why stop at three? Hey why not others sports too! The NCAA could even make different divisions!

There should be a split in basketball. No way UND, NDSU will ever see a National Title in basketball. Winning the NIT? Not likely either.

UND will go FBS but not the FBS of today. I imagine...10-15 years from now. Only it will be a 3 tier DI with the BCS conference in the upper tier, the rest of the FBS (your MAC, MW, etc) in the middle tier, and the lower tier is your FCS conferences. UND should go only if there is a playoff for a National Title and not just play for the Deek's Pizza Bowl. They will have to move out of the Alerus and into a new renovated Memorial Stadium with capacity of 20-25k, but if we can't get 10,000 average now its not going to work. Then what conference would UND go to? Mountain West would be great. But maybe a new WAC conference with Big Sky/MVFC teams in it. But again I don't see UND and the word FBS in the same sentence until after 2020-2030 range.

Its been a long time since I've had a Deeks pizza. I always liked popolino's more though. Could we play in a Popolino's Pizza Bowl?

There should be a split in basketball. No way UND, NDSU will ever see a National Title in basketball. Winning the NIT? Not likely either.

You're kidding, UND is going to roll throught the BST next weekend, steamroll the NCAA and beat Kansas for the championship. :)

Small schools can win in basketball. Butler made back-to-back title appearances. Gonzaga is #1. Creighton has been highly rated. Sometimes all it takes is one guy and your team is a contender.

Small schools can win in basketball. Butler made back-to-back title appearances. Gonzaga is #1. Creighton has been highly rated. Sometimes all it takes is one guy and your team is a contender.

Those are basketball schools since when will UND or NDSU be up to their calibur? Day after never.

Those are basketball schools since when will UND or NDSU be up to their calibur? Day after never.

Your point being? UND's baseball team will never compete for the baseball championship, do they need another division one for baseball now?

Your point being? UND's baseball team will never compete for the baseball championship, do they need another division one for baseball now?

UND will never challenge for a BCS title against Alabama, LSU, etc. if they moved up but yet people are saying that the FBS will split into more than one tier. Why is there more than one tier for football now (FCS)? If its wrong to have more than one tier like there is in football why not do it in other sports. You think if team #65 gets into the dance they are going to win the National Title? History says no. No #16 has ever beaten a #1. Yes mid majors like Butler, and Gonzaga has done the Cinderella thing, but seriously no Big Sky team or a Summit League team will even get to the Final Four let along win it all. Just look how UND did against Kansas State, and how NDSU did against Akron. How would those teams do against Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, or any other major basketball powerhouse.

UND will never challenge for a BCS title against Alabama, LSU, etc. if they moved up but yet people are saying that the FBS will split into more than one tier. Why is there more than one tier for football now (FCS)? If its wrong to have more than one tier like there is in football why not do it in other sports. You think if team #65 gets into the dance they are going to win the National Title? History says no. No #16 has ever beaten a #1. Yes mid majors like Butler, and Gonzaga has done the Cinderella thing, but seriously no Big Sky team or a Summit League team will even get to the Final Four let along win it all. Just look how UND did against Kansas State, and how NDSU did against Akron. How would those teams do against Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, or any other major basketball powerhouse.

NDSU and Kansas a few years ago? Bison had a very legitimate shot at winning that game. Though I think that is part of accepting the size of your school. Will UND ever be a #1 seed in the NCAA Bball tourney? Probably not, barring some major changes over maybe 50 years. BUT that is part of the fund of a school UND's size. It is a big deal to make the tourney, and if you can win a game or two its exciting to compete with and beat some of the bigger school. From there you have to just hope you programs can recruit and build.