SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ Mankato - who wins the cup??

AZSIOUX

Going to be a fun finish! Multiple teams chasing the MacNaughton Cup, home ice and NCAA tourney positioning

SCSU 35

UM 33

UND 33

MSU 31

UW 31

UNO 30

DU 29

CC 24

UMD 21

BSU 18

MTU 17

UAA 10

FINAL WEEK OF REGULAR SEASON MATCH UPS

UND @ MSU

UM @ BSU

SCSU @ UW

CC @ MTU

UNO @ UMD

UAA @ DU

So if UND and UM sweep, SCSU splits we have 3 MacNaughton Cup champions?? Then we lose tie breakers so more than likely play Thursday at Final 5 if all goes as planned in WCHA playoffs. Hope this is correct

So if UND and UM sweep, SCSU splits we have 3 MacNaughton Cup champions?? Then we lose tie breakers so more than likely play Thursday at Final 5 if all goes as planned in WCHA playoffs. Hope this is correct

I hope it is also, good things happen when the FIGHTING SIOUX start playing on Thursday..

So if UND and UM sweep, SCSU splits we have 3 MacNaughton Cup champions??

Correct. MacNaughton Cup champion is regular season points...tie-breakers determine playoff seeding.

UND sweeps Mankato...37 points.

Minnesota beats and then ties Bemidji...36 points.

SCSU swept at Wisconsin...35 points.

• Upvote 2

Going to be a fun finish! Multiple teams chasing the MacNaughton Cup, home ice and NCAA tourney positioning

SCSU 35

UM 33

UND 33

MSU 31

UW 31

UNO 30

DU 29

CC 24

UMD 21

BSU 18

MTU 17

UAA 10

FINAL WEEK OF REGULAR SEASON MATCH UPS

UND @ MSU

UM @ BSU

SCSU @ UW

CC @ MTU

UNO @ UMD

UAA @ DU

I'm going to predict that SCSU splits with Wisconsin and MN takes 4 from BSU. I'm really hoping the boys come to play next weekend and take 4 from MSU, I'll be at both games. MSU has been good this year but if we come to play, we should win both and tie for the Cup.

Correct. MacNaughton Cup champion is regular season points...tie-breakers determine playoff seeding.

UND sweeps Mankato...37 points.

Minnesota beats and then ties Bemidji...36 points.

SCSU swept at Wisconsin...35 points.

I sure hope you're right.

I think we can assume, at least I hope we can, that Mankato does not play Wisco/Bemidji style hockey? Haven't seen them, but their record/goal scoring abilities would seem that they don't play the old hack at everyone style they used to play in the past either.

Nothing worse than being driven nuts by the ole/ole after a Mankato goal, and nothing better than the video of Sioux fans leaving the Kato barn singing ole/ole after a sweep.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to predict that SCSU splits with Wisconsin and MN takes 4 from BSU. I'm really hoping the boys come to play next weekend and take 4 from MSU, I'll be at both games. MSU has been good this year but if we come to play, we should win both and tie for the Cup.

You're going with a three-way tie, eh?

You're going with a three-way tie, eh?

Yeah....I think SCSU will split, but it wouldn't shock me to see Wisconsin take 3 or 4 from them. I played with Ianazzo this morning and he noted that SCSU is really kicking themselves for their lackluster performance last night.

I played with Ianazzo this morning and he noted that SCSU is really kicking themselves for their lackluster performance last night.

I noted that above. Based on Bruce McLeod's past, I've got to believe that the MacNaughton Cup was inside the National Concrete Center somewhere last night just waiting to be handed to the Huskies.

Ha it would be a cruel (but hilarious for opposing fans) fate for SCSU to lose the cup by getting 1 or 0 points from Wisconsin. If I remember correctly, they've never been in the chase for the cup. At least not past the month of January.

I'm not a huge fan of sharing my toys, but it would seem somehow fitting to end the current WCHA with a 3-way tie.

Ha it would be a cruel (but hilarious for opposing fans) fate for SCSU to lose the cup by getting 1 or 0 points from Wisconsin. If I remember correctly, they've never been in the chase for the cup. At least not past the month of January.

Are you kidding me? I will laugh my a$$ off when I see my SCSU friends if they choke this thing away. ESPN Classic SCSU to lose 3 in a row and blow it.

I don't think either und or the gophs sweep this next weekend. I think the gophs get three while UND splits.

A HUGE part of that Minnesota series will be officiating. I'm the last guy to blame the officials for a loss, but they will sure as heck dictate that series with what gets called and doesn't. If bemidji gets away with the obstruction they maybe get an ugly 2-1 win. If Minnesota gets six plus pp's a game then it's 4-1 Minnesota both nights.

I noted that above. Based on Bruce McLeod's past, I've got to believe that the MacNaughton Cup was inside the National Concrete Center somewhere last night just waiting to be handed to the Huskies.

Surprisingly the MacNaughton wasn't in St. Cloud last night. Apparently there was "too many scenarios" that could have played out. Even though St. Cloud was the only team that could have possibly clinched it going into last night.

I think we can assume, at least I hope we can, that Mankato does not play Wisco/Bemidji style hockey? Haven't seen them, but their record/goal scoring abilities would seem that they don't play the old hack at everyone style they used to play in the past either.

Nothing worse than being driven nuts by the ole/ole after a Mankato goal, and nothing better than the video of Sioux fans leaving the Kato barn singing ole/ole after a sweep.

Mankato plays a faster pace than they used too, but they still like to hack and try draw retaliation penalties quite a bit. Their goaltender is a freshman but he's very good. He's got a 1.82 GAA and .930 Save Percentage. Some of the saves he made against Minnesota were spectacular.

Surprisingly the MacNaughton wasn't in St. Cloud last night. Apparently there was "too many scenarios" that could have played out. Even though St. Cloud was the only team that could have possibly clinched it going into last night.

Mankato plays a faster pace than they used too, but they still like to hack and try draw retaliation penalties quite a bit. Their goaltender is a freshman but he's very good. He's got a 1.82 GAA and .930 Save Percentage. Some of the saves he made against Minnesota were spectacular.

Yeah I've seen him play.....he's very good. We can get to him though if we play better than we did this past weekend....which will happen I'm guessing. I bet Hak got on them last night.

I am very surprised by that as SCSU simply needed a win to claim a share of the title PLUS they were at home. Maybe a nice send-off by the WCHA to not even have it on-hand last night should a soon-to-be NCHC team win it?

I don't think either und or the gophs sweep this next weekend. I think the gophs get three while UND splits.

A HUGE part of that Minnesota series will be officiating. I'm the last guy to blame the officials for a loss, but they will sure as heck dictate that series with what gets called and doesn't. If bemidji gets away with the obstruction they maybe get an ugly 2-1 win. If Minnesota gets six plus pp's a game then it's 4-1 Minnesota both nights.

I'd cry if that happens. Minnesota is like 2 of their last 20 or something close to that on the PP. On Friday Denver outshot Minnesota 8-2 ON Minnesota's PP's. It's been U-G-L-Y

My prediction this weekend is a Minnesota sweep, UND takes 3 from Mankato and St. Cloud splits with Wisconsin. Wisconsin has only lost 3 of their last 23 games and is on life support for the NCAA tournament. If they sweep and make it to the Final Five, I think they might sneak in. But I feel like SCSU will pull out a win.

I'd cry if that happens. Minnesota is like 2 of their last 20 or something close to that on the PP. On Friday Denver outshot Minnesota 8-2 ON Minnesota's PP's. It's been U-G-L-Y

Last night's game winner was a PP goal by Bjugstad about a minute or two after a Gopher flattened DU's leading scorer with a stick to the neck (refs missed that call, though, of course).

Last night's game winner was a PP goal by Bjugstad about a minute or two after a Gopher flattened DU's leading scorer with a stick to the neck (refs missed that call, though, of course).

I was going to say...I've seen a bunch of MN pp points lately....that team lives on the PP.