SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 baseball

darell1976

Although I've watched pieces of the last couple of games via stream, it just struck me that the Great West tournament is being played in Newark NJ. I guess if you live in NYC, Newark is west.

yeah, if you are from NYC, anything past the Hudson is "the west"

I've been following the B1G baseball tourney at Target Field this week. Right now Minnesota and Nebraska are playing. Connor Schaefbauer is up to bat for the Goofs and is facing Ryan Hander who is pitching for Nebraska. Both are from Sioux Falls, SD. Just found it rather interesting.

Looking at Minnesota's roster, they have kids primarily from Minnesota with a few from Wisconsin and California then other random states. They even have a player from Great Falls, Montana. Nebraska has plenty of kids from their home state with Iowa, Mo, Minnesota, Texas, Colorado and AZ mixed in. I've glanced at a few of the other BCS schools' baseball rosters while watching tourney games and there is plenty of players from the Midwest/plains that are playing for these schools.

If UND is going to sponsor baseball at the DI level, we might as well be successful at it. Hopefully we can build a winning program with some of these Midwest/plains players. It looks like this season was a step in the right direction. Now UND and GF need to work together on finishing the turf at Kraft. This is the biggest key to UND getting games played in early spring. Once this is done they both need to then look at upgrading the grandstand/game day facilities. And hopefully the indoor practice facility will be up in the next 2-3 years. People think of the IPF as a football facility, but it will greatly help out other programs like baseball, too.

This team is young and talented. Came on strong the end of the year and most of talent reurns next year.

IPC will help everyone of our sports as well as the University overall. Great recruiting tool and if built right can host winter and spring Soccer, Softball and track. Lots of HS would have loved to have access to this facility this spring. Should be able to have indoor practice for baseball, golf ,soccer, FB, track and softball. Need to get going on this ASAP.

This team is young and talented. Came on strong the end of the year and most of talent reurns next year.

IPC will help everyone of our sports as well as the University overall. Great recruiting tool and if built right can host winter and spring Soccer, Softball and track. Lots of HS would have loved to have access to this facility this spring. Should be able to have indoor practice for baseball, golf ,soccer, FB, track and softball. Need to get going on this ASAP.

As I posted in another thread, the rumor is that contractors will start working on final salvage at the old REA as early as next week. They are going to take out copper and other metal that can be resold, old bathroom fixtures, pretty much anything that can be sold. Actual destruction on the building will start in late June. They are looking at somewhere around August 1 for the groundbreaking. First stage of the building is pretty much ready to go, they still have some money to raise for the second stage. That includes the offices. They still hope to have the rest of the money raised for Stage 2 in time to just keep construction going. It sounds like the baseball and softball teams will headquarter in Hyslop with some remodeling. But they will be able to use the IPF as needed during years like this.

As I posted in another thread, the rumor is that contractors will start working on final salvage at the old REA as early as next week. They are going to take out copper and other metal that can be resold, old bathroom fixtures, pretty much anything that can be sold. Actual destruction on the building will start in late June. They are looking at somewhere around August 1 for the groundbreaking. First stage of the building is pretty much ready to go, they still have some money to raise for the second stage. That includes the offices. They still hope to have the rest of the money raised for Stage 2 in time to just keep construction going. It sounds like the baseball and softball teams will headquarter in Hyslop with some remodeling. But they will be able to use the IPF as needed during years like this.

That's a very good bet. I have not been told anything that exact, but I have been told that it is imminent this summer. The State Board of Higher Ed approved its demolition way back in February.

I've been following the B1G baseball tourney at Target Field this week. Right now Minnesota and Nebraska are playing. Connor Schaefbauer is up to bat for the Goofs and is facing Ryan Hander who is pitching for Nebraska. Both are from Sioux Falls, SD. Just found it rather interesting.

Looking at Minnesota's roster, they have kids primarily from Minnesota with a few from Wisconsin and California then other random states. They even have a player from Great Falls, Montana. Nebraska has plenty of kids from their home state with Iowa, Mo, Minnesota, Texas, Colorado and AZ mixed in. I've glanced at a few of the other BCS schools' baseball rosters while watching tourney games and there is plenty of players from the Midwest/plains that are playing for these schools.

Yeah definitely agree with you as I'm a pretty big Gopher baseball fan. They primarily recruit the midwest and I would say when they have tried to go west for a recruit they really haven't had much success with them. The 2 guys from California on the team now very rarely play and the recruits they have coming in are about 4 from Minnesota, 2 from Illinois, and 1 from Idaho so you definitely can be successful recruiting the Midwest like they do with Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin being the states that most of their players come from and couple from other neighboring states like Iowa and South Dakota. It definitely appears some more northern teams are starting to be more competitive at the D1 level with Indiana in the hunt to host a regional and 3 B1G teams probably getting into the tournament. The Gophers should also have 2 pitchers (1 from Illinois and 1 from Minnesota) drafted in the first 4 rounds of the MLB draft this year and it sounds like 2-3 Minnesota high schoolers could be taken pretty early in the draft as well with one of those guys being committed to Florida.