SiouxSports.com Forum

Idaho St. v. North Dakota

bincitysioux

You really need to get a brain, Danny boy, as you can't possibly process this information. You team that went to the Dance would have been DII players if they were in the previous class.

You know very little about bb talent. And by the way the NCC was never a good mens bb league. Every other sport yes.

You know very little about bb talent. And by the way the NCC was never a good mens bb league. Every other sport yes.

It was a pretty darn good league. I believe UND, USD, and SDSU all had a long history of making pretty deep runs in the DII tournament over a pretty lengthy period of time. Maybe a couple others, I'm not sure, but those 3 all have a pretty strong basketball pedigree...................

It was a pretty darn good league. I believe UND, USD, and SDSU all had a long history of making pretty deep runs in the DII tournament over a pretty lengthy period of time. Maybe a couple others, I'm not sure, but those 3 all have a pretty strong basketball pedigree...................

What Dan meant was that NDSU was never very good in men's basketball. He never paid attention to any of the other schools.

The NCC was a lot like the Big 10 of DII, teams would beat on each other all season long and then they would run out of gas in postseason. The conference was obviously taking in some low-major DI talent and had some great teams.

Pretty obvious when you consider the quick success that NDSU and SDSU have had out of the transition. Largely the same types of players plus 1 or 2 more top level NCC-type guys makes for a solid low-major basketball recipe.

• Upvote 1

Pretty obvious when you consider the quick success that NDSU and SDSU have had out of the transition. Largely the same types of players plus 1 or 2 more top level NCC-type guys makes for a solid low-major basketball recipe.

This I would disagree with. The players NDSU has now are nothing like the players the Bison had in the DII days. Out of the current roster probably only Mike Felt and possibly Marshall Bjorklund would be on the team if we were still d2. If you want to take a look at a D1 Bison team with D2 talent look at the 04-05 roster, and that was possibly the worst Bison basketball team in the last 30 years.

You're a tool by the way...mods aren't immune to that you know. Your duckies and bunnies, nose up the a** of Muss and I assume Jones as well is entertaining though.

If you thought yesterday's play was anywhere close to those older teams referenced it shows your BB knowledge is on par with your FB knowledge.

Have you ever posted without bashing a coach or another poster? Try it sometime.

• Upvote 2

This I would disagree with. The players NDSU has now are nothing like the players the Bison had in the DII days. Out of the current roster probably only Mike Felt and possibly Marshall Bjorklund would be on the team if we were still d2. If you want to take a look at a D1 Bison team with D2 talent look at the 04-05 roster, and that was possibly the worst Bison basketball team in the last 30 years.

Read the post again. What do the players ndsu has now have to do with the quick success ndsu and SDSU had out of the transition?

(in case you still don't understand, that was a rhetorical question and the answer is nothing)

Read the post again. What do the players ndsu has now have to do with the quick success ndsu and SDSU had out of the transition?

(in case you still don't understand, that was a rhetorical question and the answer is nothing)

Ummm, no. We didn't have quick success out of the transition. SDSU really struggled their first 4-6 years out of the transition. The 04-05 team, which I previously mentioned, was full of D2 players and was absolutely terrible. The Woodside class would not have been assembled the way it was if NDSU would have remained D2, and even that team didn't hit full stride until they were seniors, so I am not accepting your premise that the XDSU's were immediately successful out of the transition.

Ummm, no. We didn't have quick success out of the transition. SDSU really struggled their first 4-6 years out of the transition. The 04-05 team, which I previously mentioned, was full of D2 players and was absolutely terrible. The Woodside class would not have been assembled the way it was if NDSU would have remained D2, and even that team didn't hit full stride until they were seniors, so I am not accepting your premise that the XDSU's were immediately successful out of the transition.

NDSU made the NCAA tournament in its first year out of the transition and SDSU made the tournament in its 4th year as a full D1 program and there's a very good chance one of you will make the tournament again this year, the 5th year out of the transition. Explain to me how that isn't quick success?

Nobody is saying NDSU could've assembled the Woodside class while still in D2 because those same guys likely would've been more spread out over the all-D2 NCC. With NDSU and SDSU having the advantage of an extra couple scholarships and the allure of D1 and the NCAA tournament they were able to attract more of those elite-NCC type guys and got the cream of that crop (Woodside, Wolters, etc.). That's the recipe I'm talking about. Before there were any low-major D1 teams in our region there was plenty of low-major D1 talent in the area, it was just being spread out between 10-12 regional D2 teams instead of the 5 D1 teams we have in the region now.

NDSU made the NCAA tournament in its first year out of the transition and SDSU made the tournament in its 4th year as a full D1 program and there's a very good chance one of you will make the tournament again this year, the 5th year out of the transition. Explain to me how that isn't quick success?

Nobody is saying NDSU could've assembled the Woodside class while still in D2 because those same guys likely would've been more spread out over the all-D2 NCC. With NDSU and SDSU having the advantage of an extra couple scholarships and the allure of D1 and the NCAA tournament they were able to attract more of those elite-NCC type guys and got the cream of that crop (Woodside, Wolters, etc.). That's the recipe I'm talking about. Before there were any low-major D1 teams in our region there was plenty of low-major D1 talent in the area, it was just being spread out between 10-12 regional D2 teams instead of the 5 D1 teams we have in the region now.

Ok, that I agree with. But I would add that in order to take that next step (which I think NDSU is doing) you have to expand that footprint and get guys who wouldn't have been able to find Fargo on the map if NDSU were still d2. Basically guys like Lawrence Alexander, Kory Brown, Taylor Braun, and Trayvonn Wright.

Ok, that I agree with. But I would add that in order to take that next step (which I think NDSU is doing) you have to expand that footprint and get guys who wouldn't have been able to find Fargo on the map if NDSU were still d2. Basically guys like Lawrence Alexander, Kory Brown, Taylor Braun, and Trayvonn Wright.

It most definitely wasn't the D2 norm to have guys from Oregon (Braun) or New York (Webb) but you occasionaly had guys from outside the "north of Kansas and west of Ohio" footprint which isn't any different than the teams now. Just between UND and NDSU you have only 4 guys from outside that footprint out of 30 on the combined rosters right now. Compare that to the 2004-2005 teams (the earliest year for rosters on GoBison.com) and you have 2 guys out of 30 from outside that footprint.