SiouxSports.com Forum

Front Page Layout

bincitysioux

First, I always meant to try to add basketball at the same time we went D-I. Obviously I'm behind.

There's definitely a redesign in the works, I'm still really hoping this summer (likely coinciding with a rebranding?)

The biggest challenge to just adding the basketball scores is finding an automated source. (The hockey community is good about sharing this stuff, football I still do by hand but its easy because games are almost always Saturdays; you really can't just scrape ESPN.com, they don't like that).

Ideally, there would also be some non-GF Herald content. On hockey there's a ton, including some exclusive to SiouxSports. On football, there's at least one notable blog out there, though we haven't successfully recruited anyone to write regularly about it here (though I also haven't tried in years).

While the new design is definitely still going to include the news links, the now four-year-old attempt to make the front page sort of a reddit for UND sports clearly didn't take off quite like I could have imagined, so I'm definitely going to place additional emphasis on the original content and less on links to gfherald.com.

I really enjoy the front page new stories. It saves me a lot of time just coming here, instead of googling each teams home paper, athletic websites, etc. Thanks for the site Jim, not sure what many of us would do without it! (probably increase work productivity)

To be clear, they're definitely not going away. As practical matter, we want to emphasize the content unique to SiouxSports a little more. I think the link aggregation is quite useful myself, but we've had some problems with people thinking at first glance that the site is nothing but links to other people's stuff. So, instead of getting the whole left column the news links will probably get part of a column to the right, but there will still always be the option to click on the "news" tab/link and get the full page version.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The url for their API is something like API.twitter.com/1.1 now, instead of just /1.

It also returns a .json file instead of .xml

Hope that helps

Exactly -- the 2nd part is what's going to be a couple hours work, processing the new return format.

However, there are also some new display requirements (e.g. all the tweets have to be rendered with all usernames, hashtags, @s "live" like they would be if you were on twitter itself). For now I may just fall back to a feed of specific people, using Twitter's embedding capabilities and ponder whether it's still worth rolling my own going forward.

Ok, I'll go with the Twitter widget for now. It's a bit tougher to combine searches and lists of people like I was doing myself before, but Twitter's widget is also a lot better than back when I originally felt the need to do it myself.

I've been meaning to reimagine that whole section for quite a while, maybe this will light a little fire under me. But, this should have us back up and running for now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Why isn't there a scoreboard and standings for football on the front page as there has been in the past?

I just got the schedules loaded last week (still don't have a great source for football -- the Big Sky composite is promising, but is clearly human-entered and had a few errors last season). Just hadn't football back to the "active sports" list yet, just did now. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Same answer as before... I still don't have a great source for automated football scores, let alone basketball. It's on the list, but not at the top.

Alas, my list blew up this year with both a major conference rearrangement (including a new points system!) and new RPI and PWR formulas.

Thanks for adding links to basketball articles.

Just so everyone is aware, under the "News and Media" section of the front page, any member can submit links to articles or videos. It is not limited to just mods or administrators. I added that flurry of articles the week of the NDSU and Oregon games because someone reminded me. in the past I've tried to remember to be more diligent about it, but it often slips my mind or I don't have time.