SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL 2013

jodcon

We agree that Carcill is an idiot. It seems to fit the definition of a Category III - 3 game suspension. (But then, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...)

Per NHL Rule 40:

0.4 Automatic Suspension – Category III - Any player who, by his actions, physically demeans an official or physically threatens an official by (but not limited to) throwing a stick or any other piece of equipment or object at or in the general direction of an official, shooting the puck at or in the general direction of an official, spitting at or in the general direction of an official, or who deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall be suspended for not less than three (3) games.

We agree that Carcill is an idiot. It seems to fit the definition of a Category III - 3 game suspension. (But then, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...)

Per NHL Rule 40:

0.4 Automatic Suspension – Category III - Any player who, by his actions, physically demeans an official or physically threatens an official by (but not limited to) throwing a stick or any other piece of equipment or object at or in the general direction of an official, shooting the puck at or in the general direction of an official, spitting at or in the general direction of an official, or who deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall be suspended for not less than three (3) games.

Bingo - I am guessing he is due for a three game vacation.

Wow...the Blackhawks are 3 wins away from the Stanley Cup Finals, right?

they no longer have home ice advantage in which is where they won their series these playoffs. they have played horrible on the road. they are 2-4. the Kings are 6-4 on the road, the Canadians are 5-2 and the Rangers are 6-3. anything less than a split in LA and they are done. there has been dynasty talk recently about them which is a little premature. if you think about dynasties in sports and those teams have relished going on the road and winning. they walk into buildings and shut the home crowds up. I'm waiting for them to go on the road a have a convincing 5-2 win in which there is no doubt in the third period whois going to win. they haven't done that since 2010 against Vancouver. maybe my expectations are too much. their performance on the road these playoffs hasn't led anyone to be confident in them.

they no longer have home ice advantage in which is where they won their series these playoffs. they have played horrible on the road. they are 2-4. the Kings are 6-4 on the road, the Canadians are 5-2 and the Rangers are 6-3. anything less than a split in LA and they are done. there has been dynasty talk recently about them which is a little premature. if you think about dynasties in sports and those teams have relished going on the road and winning. they walk into buildings and shut the home crowds up. I'm waiting for them to go on the road a have a convincing 5-2 win in which there is no doubt in the third period whois going to win. they haven't done that since 2010 against Vancouver. maybe my expectations are too much. their performance on the road these playoffs hasn't led anyone to be confident in them.

The Canadiens had the good fortune of playing a Tampa Bay team that was devastated by the loss of Ben Bishop in goal - easy two games there in Tampa for the Habs. If the Kings weren't 6-4 on the road, they would have been eliminated by now because they went 7 with San Jose and Anaheim.

2010 Stanley Cup Champions...2013 Stanley Cup Champions...time to fire the coach and trade Patrick Kane if there is no third Stanley Cup in five seasons? Yikes.

It's the Wild...the land of 10,000 former Gophers. I guarantee you that they'll make a run at Thomas Vanek. Book it.

The guy who I think they could use the most and hope is their #1 priority is a former Bulldog and native Minnesotan in Matt Niskanen.

Actually, he's a former UMD Bulldog...and hopefully future Detroit Red Wing. :)

Correct a former Bulldog and native Minnesotan from the iron range don't know why I was thinking he was a former Gopher. Looking at the group of free agent D there really aren't many great options so I would think Niskanen is in line for a real nice contract this summer.

Correct a former Bulldog and native Minnesotan from the iron range don't know why I was thinking he was a former Gopher. Looking at the group of free agent D there really aren't many great options so I would think Niskanen is in line for a real nice contract this summer.

I've read that Detroit is going to go after Niskanen hard.

I've read that Detroit is going to go after Niskanen hard.

Let's compare and we'll see how this plays out. The 2 teams are in very similar situations.

Minnesota has $22.7M in cap space and have 17 signed players (9F, 6D, 2G).

Detroit has $20.1M in cap space and has 18 signed players (11F, 5D, 2F)

Think there is any chance the NHL starts to go after players for diving? The refs have a difficult time the way it is catching the real stuff and the fake stuff is just getting out of hand. A classic example is Dorsett faking a slew foot by PK Subban. Yes, Subban did make a motion and made slight contact with the right skate. But before that contact was even made Dorsett is already flinging his left foot toward the ceiling, where it reaches head height. And then he is indignant to the ref when a penalty doesn't get called.

All this faking makes refs hesitant to call penalties, and then real stuff gets missed and games get chippy. After-the-fact video review with financial penalties and game suspensions might help, but even that could be tricky to implement. It wouldn't be perfect, but something has to be done. It is a real negative for the game.

Sorry, but that was not a head shot. The shoulder hit squarely into his chest. It was clearly late and interference and deserved a two minute minor. But a head shot it was not. It was hard and from the blind side so he did not see it coming. However, if it is late in the game and NY has the game in hand, Prust better stay off the ice or keep his head on a swivel.

You should look again.

Prust suspended two games: ... "extreme lateness and significant head contact".

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=720474&navid=DL|NHL|home

And Stepan's jaw didn't break on its own:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=720423&navid=nhl:topheads

You should look again.

Prust suspended two games: ... "extreme lateness and significant head contact".

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

And Stepan's jaw didn't break on its own:

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

I saw an angle or two when it happened that I didn't think looked like he hit the head. In fact I thought that he actually lowered his body a little to avoid the hit. But when I looked at it again a day later, it does appear he made head contact. The other thing that concerned me was while it didn't look like Prust jumped up, he hit so hard that he really left his feet.