SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs. St. Cloud State

AZSIOUX

I think we all get it and makes sense but his skill set is very very high. If he's 3 inches taller he's a potential top 10 pick no questions asked. Regardless of that we all know what he can do. The 3rd line thing isn't the issue I believe, it's who he's been playing with which seems to be odd. Pattyn and Grimaldi are 2 completely different players with completely different roles but are skating on same line.

You are spot on here. IMO you limit Kristo to some extent with Mitch. Teams can "gang up" on and take away Kristo and have Mitch try to beat them. Same thing with Rocco...but Pattyn isn't going to beat anyone offensively.

my understanding of why rocco isn't on that top line is because the coaching staff believes or is hoping that with keeping rocco off that line you can have 3-4 lines capable of scoring which makes it harder for opposing teams to defend.

Yes, that is what they're doing, however having one top threat (Rocco - Knight - Kristo) would create scoring oppurtunities every time they hit the ice. More and more NHL teams are loading their top lines. UNDs third line should be a high energy line; line the other team doesn't want to see out their because of how hard they are going and hitting.

St. Clair could center line with Rocco and Drake if Rocco doesn't. I know Hak is hoping for magic to return for the RPM line, but at the expense of keeping Rocco bottled up on the 3rd line I don't get it...especially if Pattyn centers that line. At least St. Clair can skate with Drake and Rocco.

Completely agree....Rocco is very good by himself but he will be great if he is actually playing with skaters at his skill. His line last week was all him and Caggs....Pattyn brought energy but there was absolutely no finesse passing. Only end to end play.

What has worked in the past?

Knight and Kristo

Rowney Parks MarkMac

Rowney and Roc

Roc and Drake

So how do you maximize the potential damage to the other team? You spread that out as best you can:

Knight and Kristo with someone ... and if MitchMac can figure out where to be to trail and clean up their rebounds ...

Rowney Parks MarkMac may have been one of the five best lines in all of college hockey at the end of last season ... can they find it again ...

Roc and Drake need to find a co-conspirator ... I don't believe it's Pattyn; I think it's St. Clair or Gaarder ... or Gleason.

And you just can't seem to get Pattyn and Jim out of the lineup ... so it makes that last forward spot all the more difficult.

Knight and Kristo

Rowney Parks MarkMac

Rowney and Roc

Roc and Drake

So how do you maximize the potential damage to the other team? You spread that out as best you can:

Knight and Kristo with someone ... and if MitchMac can figure out where to be to trail and clean up their rebounds ...

Rowney Parks MarkMac may have been one of the five best lines in all of college hockey at the end of last season ... can they find it again ...

Roc and Drake need to find a co-conspirator ... I don't believe it's Pattyn; I think it's St. Clair or Gaarder ... or Gleason.

And you just can't seem to get Pattyn and Jim out of the lineup ... so it makes that last forward spot all the more difficult.

Gleason needs to not play defense. He gets caught up on the rush and leaves the team hanging too often not to mention his sketchy passes from his own end. Oh and put panz in.

I just walked out of the Alerus Center, at Sioux Boosters, and my takeaway from Coach Hakstol was this: our defensemen need to "play with more sandpaper...Gleason and MacWilliam already do but he wants to see guys like Mattson, Panzerella, Forbert, and Simpson play grittier-not dirty/but tougher in the D zone. Second, Hak was very proud of Zane's play the past few starts since XMas break and that he's worked himself back into a battle for the starting job. Three, he said 9 of our 12 forwards played well on Saturday against the Gophers but that the Rowney line missed several key assignments and they must do better. Last, he said he was proud of Grimaldi and thought the Minnesota series was his best of the season.

Keeping with the thought that Hak is hoping the RMP line starts to click again at some point, a top line with Mitch and a 3rd line w Rocco IMO is easier to contain than loading the top line w Rocco and having an energy 3rd line.

Glad to see Panz is in lineup tonight.

Knight and Kristo

Rowney Parks MarkMac

Rowney and Roc

Roc and Drake

Not necessarily.....the theory of spreading out your talent to have a more balanced attack doesn't always work as you are throwing different types of players together. The key is to score as many goals as you can while giving up less. By keeping your skilled players on a line with grinders I think you are decreasing your odds of scoring goals. Long story short....Grimaldi needs to play with better players. At least give it a shot, see what happens.

I don't think there's enough pucks on the ice to have Kristo and Rocco out there together. Anyone is going to look good and be a beneficiary of playing with Kristo and Knight. You just have to find the guy that compliments them best and that doesn't always mean the next highest skilled guy.

I don't think there's enough pucks on the ice to have Kristo and Rocco out there together. Anyone is going to look good and be a beneficiary of playing with Kristo and Knight. You just have to find the guy that compliments them best and that doesn't always mean the next highest skilled guy.

No but Grimaldi should never be on a third line. Last week they were short shifted twice because they got a faceoff in the Gophs zone. Why would you short shift one of the most offensively gifted players in the country...oh yeah, because he is on a line with Pattyn (no knock, he's just your typical bottom 6 forward).

No but Grimaldi should never be on a third line. Last week they were short shifted twice because they got a faceoff in the Gophs zone. Why would you short shift one of the most offensively gifted players in the country...oh yeah, because he is on a line with Pattyn (no knock, he's just your typical bottom 6 forward).

On Friday they also double shifted Rocco a few times.

Bingo! Any time Rocco isn't on the ice is only favorable to one team and it isn't his! So being on a line that doesn't allow him to be on the ice the maximum amount of time possible during a game doesn't benefit UND in any way.

• Upvote 1

Not necessarily.....the theory of spreading out your talent to have a more balanced attack doesn't always work as you are throwing different types of players together. The key is to score as many goals as you can while giving up less. By keeping your skilled players on a line with grinders I think you are decreasing your odds of scoring goals. Long story short....Grimaldi needs to play with better players. At least give it a shot, see what happens.

Is that you, John Madden?

• Upvote 1

I just walked out of the Alerus Center, at Sioux Boosters, and my takeaway from Coach Hakstol was this: our defensemen need to "play with more sandpaper...Gleason and MacWilliam already do but he wants to see guys like Mattson, Panzerella, Forbert, and Simpson play grittier-not dirty/but tougher in the D zone. Second, Hak was very proud of Zane's play the past few starts since XMas break and that he's worked himself back into a battle for the starting job. Three, he said 9 of our 12 forwards played well on Saturday against the Gophers but that the Rowney line missed several key assignments and they must do better. Last, he said he was proud of Grimaldi and thought the Minnesota series was his best of the season.

Want to add that he included Drake in the Minnesota being his best series of the season as well.