SiouxSports.com Forum

Mt. Rushmore of North Dakota Football

bincitysioux

Got this idea from Egriz. Thought it would be a fun off-season topic.............

After more deliberation, I'm gonna whittle the following list down to 4:

Coaches:

Dale Lennon

Roger Thomas

Jerry Olson

Jack West

Marv Helling

Red Jarrett

Players:

Weston Dressler

Phillip Moore

Jim Kleinsasser

Corey Colehour

Jim Leclair

Dave Osborn

Digger Anderson

Red Jarrett

Am I overlooking anybody that should be considered?

Got this idea from Egriz. Thought it would be a fun off-season topic.............

Coaches:

Dale Lennon

Roger Thomas

Jerry Olson

Jack West

Marv Helling

Red Jarrett

Players:

Weston Dressler

Phillip Morris

Jim Kleinsasser

Corey Colehour

Jim Leclair

Dave Osborn

Digger Anderson

Red Jarrett

I think Phillip Morris and Phillip Moore are well-known for different things. ;)

Coaches:

Dale Lennon

Roger Thomas

Jerry Olson

Jack West

Marv Helling

Red Jarrett

Players:

Weston Dressler

Phillip Moore

Jim Kleinsasser

Corey Colehour

Jim Leclair

Dave Osborn

Digger Anderson

Red Jarrett

From the early days you should probably consider Fritz Pollard as a player.

Coaches:

Dale Lennon

Roger Thomas

Jerry Olson

Jack West

Marv Helling

Red Jarrett

Players:

Weston Dressler

Phillip Moore

Jim Kleinsasser

Corey Colehour

Jim Leclair

Dave Osborn

Digger Anderson

Red Jarrett

Erroll Mann ought to be considered. He was a placekicker in the NFL from 1968-1978 with the Packers, Lions, and Raiders, helping the Raiders to a Super Bowl win in 1976 and leading the NFL in scoring in 1977 with 99 pts.

Coaches:

Dale Lennon

Roger Thomas

Jerry Olson

Jack West

Marv Helling

Red Jarrett

Players:

Weston Dressler

Phillip Moore

Jim Kleinsasser

Corey Colehour

Jim Leclair

Dave Osborn

Digger Anderson

Red Jarrett

Shannon Burnell maybe?

• Upvote 2

Hey, everyone can play, I'm not only looking for help carving my mountain, but it is appreciated!

I've decided that for my mountain, 2 guys that I MUST include are:

Dale Lennon:

Winningest all time coach, led us to the National Championship, installed the defense that changed the face of DII football, and was a former player as well.

Jerry Olson:

Presided over what I consider the era to be the high-water mark for North Dakota football. Won bowl games and challenged for the College Division National Championship at a time when we regularly played against current FBS and top FCS schools.

I'm still pondering my other two...............

Hey, everyone can play, I'm not only looking for help carving my mountain, but it is appreciated!

I've decided that for my mountain, 2 guys that I MUST include are:

Dale Lennon:

Winningest all time coach, led us to the National Championship, installed the defense that changed the face of DII football.

Jerry Olson:

Presided over what I consider the era to be the high-water mark for North Dakota football. Won bowl games and challenged for the College Division National Championship at a time when we regularly played against current FBS and top FCS schools.

I'm still pondering my other two...............

I believe that Jack West should be up with the other 2. He led UND through a very successful period, a period when UND competed with schools from all over the country besides their NCC schedule. I think it was the first real successful period in UND football.

I believe that Jack West should be up with the other 2. He led UND through a very successful period, a period when UND competed with schools from all over the country besides their NCC schedule. I think it was the first real successful period in UND football.

West is basically the father of Fighting Sioux football. But I'm just more impressed with the resume's of Lennon and Olson. I am thinking that my mountain is going to have 2 coaches and 2 players.......................

Erroll Mann ought to be considered. He was a placekicker in the NFL from 1968-1978 with the Packers, Lions, and Raiders, helping the Raiders to a Super Bowl win in 1976 and leading the NFL in scoring in 1977 with 99 pts.

I contemplated Erroll Mann, as well as Steve Myhra, but both of those guys are more known for their contributions in the NFL. I want my mountain to recognize players that left a mark during their time at North Dakota.

Not saying those guys did not, but I think there are guys who had better careers while at North Dakota.................

How about the best pure passer probably at UND in a very long time....Braden Hanson. I know a one year wonder but against that competition he proved he was a good QB. Also Greg Hardin will soon get his face on the mountain.

Hanson: No. Very good player, but I'd put him behind at least 3 QB's in just my time following UND, which doesn't even include greats like Colehour and Kovash...................

Hardin: He is not done yet, so he's not eligible for my mountain right now. However, I've said before that I think he could be better than Dressler. And Dressler is the best player that I've personally seen play for the Sioux. My following goes back to circa 1992...............

• 4 weeks later...