SiouxSports.com Forum

Pre Spring 2013 Team Outlook

geaux_sioux

A few questions/observations...............................

Damon Andrews is a guy that I expected to hear alot from this season, but really did not. IIRC he had a real nice year in 2011. Obviously we need better play from all the linebackers.

Given all the hoopla surrounding Joe Mollberg, what kind of season can we realistally expect from a freshman QB?

The consensus here is that Jake Miller had a sub-par season. In fact he averaged 5.8 yds/carry which was 4th best in the Big Sky. Does Miller need more touches?

Damon Andrews is a guy that I expected to hear alot from this season, but really did not. IIRC he had a real nice year in 2011. Obviously we need better play from all the linebackers.

Given all the hoopla surrounding Joe Mollberg, what kind of season can we realistally expect from a freshman QB?

The consensus here is that Jake Miller had a sub-par season. In fact he averaged 5.8 yds/carry which was 4th best in the Big Sky. Does Miller need more touches?

Damon Andrews was injured the last couple games and his loss was noticeable. With that being said, he didn't play at the level required of above average Big Sky linebackers. Of course, not many on the defense did last year. If the 2013 team is going to make a splash in the Big Sky, the linebackers will need to play better; it's just that simple. Thankfully all major contributors are returning and one has to imagine they will only be improved. Oh, and lets hope the injury bug doesn’t hit so that Goodman and Andrews can play the whole season.

If Mollberg has the potential that warranted the attention from the Big 10, then he could easily put up above average numbers for a freshman quarterback. The major reason this is possible is the receiving corps - it’s unbelievably stacked. The negative, besides for the fact that he is a freshman, is the lack of a running game. Unless we get a late transfer or some real outstanding/surprising run blocking this season, I don't think the running game will be where it absolutely needs to be.

As far as the Jake Miller question, I don't think he's a legitimate Big Sky running back - he is too small and fragile. If UND can't find a way to run the ball consistently in 2013, it will be another long, difficult season. The only RB on the roster who could be a surprise next season and carry the running game to success is PJ Sparks, in my opinion. I can't believe the coaches didn't give him more playing time after his good first game (all be it against SDSMT). Of course, like I mentioned before, if the O-line plays outstanding then Miller and Garman could end up performing well.

If you take out his huge game against Mines he only gained 4.4 yards per carry. Not entirely ineffective but also not great and he only scored twice all season. I still think he can be an effective back but certainly not a feature guy. IMO he doesn't need more touches, he needs more efficient touches. He needs to be given the ball in space with screens and draws and plays on the edge where he can use his speed. Too often last season he was used between the tackles where he's no match for a linebacker outweighing him by 50 pounds.

Seems like Garrison Goodman needs to be the leader of this defense. He missed nearly half of the season, but it seems like he was the only guy with fire, even when he was it street clothes. I was very high on Dominique Bennett and Cordero Finley when they came in, but I feel that (if healthy) Goodman and Andrews are the heart of the defense.....................

Agree that the talented and veteran recieving corps should benefit Mollberg..........................

I'm still not sure that I believe that Jake Miller can't be a featured RB in the Big Sky. He has performed well against some good competition over the last few years.............

I would like to see more of Sparks though. He's short, but looks like he is built like a brick sh!thouse.......................

Seems like Garrison Goodman needs to be the leader of this defense. He missed nearly half of the season, but it seems like he was the only guy with fire, even when he was it street clothes. I was very high on Dominique Bennett and Cordero Finley when they came in, but I feel that (if healthy) Goodman and Andrews are the heart of the defense.....................

Agree that the talented and veteran recieving corps should benefit Mollberg..........................

I'm still not sure that I believe that Jake Miller can't be a featured RB in the Big Sky. He has performed well against some good competition over the last few years.............

I would like to see more of Sparks though. He's short, but looks like he is built like a brick sh!thouse.......................

This has been my gut feeling about Sparks for a while now. From what I have seen and heard he does have the fire to be a winner and has a sturdy RB frame. I really wish they gave him more of a chance last year...especially when Sutton went down.

I also agree that Goodman is a leader and if he can stay healthy he needs to take the defense by the reigns because he has what it takes to succeed.

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of Miller's lack of production last year was attributed to our offensive line play. We were just to inconsistent. Obviously injuries did not help that but it needs to improve this year. Being able to run will help our freshman qb (whichever one it is), out dramatically next season.

Our offense, just as our defense, is going to live and die by the improvements of the line play. Last year we had senior quarterbacks, one who was incredibly quick on his reads, the other incredibly quick on his feet, and therefore they could help out the line. This next year we will have a freshman quarterback who will need that extra second or two to be able to make the reads. What will help Mollberg is his mobility, and I don't think Bartels is a stationary rock like Hanson was either. But we also need the line to move people on the LOS. That's why our running game failed (along with some questionable play-calling, i.e. running Miller between the tackles but Sutton off-tackle). We've seen how good our running game can be when our line actually creates gaps and moves the defense (Fresno State). As the line goes, so does Miller, he's not a guy that's going to create for himself like Northern Arizona's RB.

• Upvote 1

Really one of my concerns about a number of programs. When you get blown out or are blowing someone out, get the other guys in there. That is the only way you will see what they do under game conditions and some kids don't do as well in practice but are "gamers". Sparks ran well in his only chance against SDak. Mines. Should have been given some PT if he is working hard in practice.

• Upvote 3

Really one of my concerns about a number of programs. When you get blown out or are blowing someone out, get the other guys in there. That is the only way you will see what they do under game conditions and some kids don't do as well in practice but are "gamers". Sparks ran well in his only chance against SDak. Mines. Should have been given some PT if he is working hard in practice.

Agreed. It's not like the coaches were trying to preserve a redshirt or anything. Why not give him some carries in the second half against MSU or EWU?

• Upvote 4

I don't comment on here often but this is the time of the year where things take shape for next year and I like to throw my two cents in. First of all can anyone confirm or refute that Olliver, Tuilagi and Kennedy left the team if so are their any others? I know it was talked about but never had any confirmation on those guys. Second thing is I agree with everyone on Sparks but I also thought Shaugabay looked good as well. Lastly, the secondary was well you know what last year. Does anyone have any insight of how the defensive back field might look next year? I hope to see Butler, Lewis and the Browns, but what about the young guys like Idowu. We need change there in the worst way.

I don't comment on here often but this is the time of the year where things take shape for next year and I like to throw my two cents in. First of all can anyone confirm or refute that Olliver, Tuilagi and Kennedy left the team if so are their any others? I know it was talked about but never had any confirmation on those guys. Second thing is I agree with everyone on Sparks but I also thought Shaugabay looked good as well. Lastly, the secondary was well you know what last year. Does anyone have any insight of how the defensive back field might look next year? I hope to see Butler, Lewis and the Browns, but what about the young guys like Idowu. We need change there in the worst way.

Pretty sure Idowu was moved to lb. Cain and the kid from Mandan should be decent.

With all this depth at WR and more real good ones coming. I wonder what the odds are that some of these lower depth WR's become DB's. I see that Romon Bridges had 46 tackles as a senior. I know he's small but if memory serves correctly he's a speedster which may make him a canidate for CB.

With all this depth at WR and more real good ones coming. I wonder what the odds are that some of these lower depth WR's become DB's. I see that Romon Bridges had 46 tackles as a senior. I know he's small but if memory serves correctly he's a speedster which may make him a canidate for CB.

Not a bad thought. He's also strong as an Ox. He might be too short though.

I think the oline next year will be an improvement. I feel like Adams will contribute immediately and the younger guys will be much more athletic than gilson and mcgurran. Kleason can stay at tackle and the guards can be Anderson and Adams with walker at center and denui at the other tackle. That's at the very leat an instant upgrade in athleticism on the line. Kleason Adams and Denui are all nasty players which should translate to the rest of the team and the running game in particular.

• Upvote 1

I think the oline next year will be an improvement. I feel like Adams will contribute immediately and the younger guys will be much more athletic than gilson and mcgurran. Kleason can stay at tackle and the guards can be Anderson and Adams with walker at center and denui at the other tackle. That's at the very leat an instant upgrade in athleticism on the line. Kleason Adams and Denui are all nasty players which should translate to the rest of the team and the running game in particular.

I'm not too sure we're going to see Dustin Adams in the starting lineup immediately during the 2013 season. Perhaps in the 2nd half of the 2013 season due to injuries, but most likely next season.

Having to replace McGurran is not going to be an easy task considering his experience, work ethic, etc. I believe this O-line has enough depth to improve for the 2013 season, but I wouldn't bet on it. Furthermore, the running game from last season was unacceptable and this year's line should hope to improve in that area.

• Upvote 1

I'm not too sure we're going to see Dustin Adams in the starting lineup immediately during the 2013 season. Perhaps in the 2nd half of the 2013 season due to injuries, but most likely next season.

Having to replace McGurran is not going to be an easy task considering his experience, work ethic, etc. I believe this O-line has enough depth to improve for the 2013 season, but I wouldn't bet on it. Furthermore, the running game from last season was unacceptable and this year's line should hope to improve in that area.

Honestly I don't think mcgurran will be that hard to replace as a player. He was a terrible athlete and not exactly a bull dozer. His experience and leadership will be what needs to be replaced but I'm confident that someone will fill the leadership void.

The reason I think Adams could play right away is that his competition is Sean Mehan who I haven't been overly impressed with and Jake Hoerschner who will be a senior and has played sparingly. His stiffest competition would be if Walker didn't play center which I think is unlikely.

I read earlier that Kleason, Denai are nasty? Kleason has it in him but I have never seen nasty from Denai. I am excited to see Walker play regularly. He is the most athletic lineman we have. He can bring the Thump.... Can he be the leader

they desperately need? Hopefully James is ready to get on the field, I like his addition if he helps us improve the run game.

I read earlier that Kleason, Denai are nasty? Kleason has it in him but I have never seen nasty from Denai. I am excited to see Walker play regularly. He is the most athletic lineman we have. He can bring the Thump.... Can he be the leader

they desperately need? Hopefully James is ready to get on the field, I like his addition if he helps us improve the run game.

James?