SiouxSports.com Forum

SUU game

geaux_sioux

Medical redshirts happen when you are injured two or more times over two or more years. You don't get one for getting injured a single time after you've burned a year using a developmental redshirt. The NCAA manual is pretty clear on the issue. As far as they are concerned, the reason for the fifth year on the five year clock is to allow for an unexpected event that costs a player a season. When a player(and coach) decide to use that extra year for development, they're taking a gamble that it won't be needed for medical reasons. If an injury does happen, that gamble fails and the player is SOL.

Here are the relevant portions of the DI manual:

14.2.1.5 Five-Year Rule Waiver. The Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, or its designated committee, by a two-thirds majority of its members present and voting, may approve waivers of the five-year rule as it deems appropriate. (Revised: 7/30/10)

14.2.1.5.1 Waiver Criteria. A waiver of the five-year period of eligibility is designed to provide a student-athlete with the opportunity to participate in four seasons of intercollegiate competition within a five-year period. This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution, which deprive the student-athlete of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his/her sport within the five-year period.

14.2.1.5.1.2 Circumstances Within Control. Circumstances that are considered to be within the control of the student-athlete or the institution and cause a participation opportunity to be used include, but are not limited to, the following:

(d) Redshirt year

How much has Jer been able to show what he has? One carry in 5 games doesn't cut it. Sparks did well in a game against SD Mines.

Not much of a game.

He has also proven incapable of breaking any tackle or running between the tackles. I feel like Sparks is built to do both. Sparks has a good 20 lbs on Garmin and is just as quick/fast.

Plus, we don't know what Sparks is capable of since we only saw him against Mines. I think the kid has some good upside and at this point we have nothing to lose so why not give him some reps?

I think he'll bring some explosion to the RB position. Sutton is strong but merely runs into defenders instead of exploding into them. Miller and Garmin avoid at all costs. Sparks is built strong enough to explode into a guy and go through him but also fast/quick enough to make someone miss or get to space. Let the kid play.

I think he'll bring some explosion to the RB position. Sutton is strong but merely runs into defenders instead of exploding into them. Miller and Garmin avoid at all costs. Sparks is built strong enough to explode into a guy and go through him but also fast/quick enough to make someone miss or get to space. Let the kid play.

Then why is he getting no playing time?

I can't wait for this game and I know I'm not alone and will basically guarantee a sell out with a good familiar big name opponent coming to the Alerus. I know the only reason that this thread has been kind of dead is due to their being so much to talk about with the game that know body knows where to start. It's going to be a classic the likes of which we have never seen before.

Bump

So are we going to have to throw for 400+ to win this one or are we going to have success running the ball like we did last season against this same team?

I'm going out on a limb and predicting Miller has similar numbers to last year and our offense gets back on track.

I can't wait for this game and I know I'm not alone and will basically guarantee a sell out with a good familiar big name opponent coming to the Alerus. I know the only reason that this thread has been kind of dead is due to their being so much to talk about with the game that know body knows where to start. It's going to be a classic the likes of which we have never seen before.

Bump

Is what we will be saying in a few years

Student attendance will hopefully be a little bit better that expected now after this email that was sent out:

Line Priority (both nights): Attend the Women's Hockey game Friday vs. Clarkson (2pm) to obtain priority access to the Men's Hockey game on Friday night. Attend the Men's Football game Saturday vs. Southern Utah (1pm) and receive priority access on Saturday night (no priority line at Women's Hockey Saturday). At each game priority tickets will be given out at the student entrance and must be stamped at the end of the game to access the priority line for the Men's Hockey game that night.

Bump

I will estimate attendence at roughly 9000.

Student attendance will hopefully be a little bit better that expected now after this email that was sent out:

Line Priority (both nights): Attend the Women's Hockey game Friday vs. Clarkson (2pm) to obtain priority access to the Men's Hockey game on Friday night. Attend the Men's Football game Saturday vs. Southern Utah (1pm) and receive priority access on Saturday night (no priority line at Women's Hockey Saturday). At each game priority tickets will be given out at the student entrance and must be stamped at the end of the game to access the priority line for the Men's Hockey game that night.

This is really sad.

This is really sad.

Johnny, I was at the FU game last weekend and your student turnout is nothing to take a lot of pride in. Not many students in the top half of the section and none in the endzones. I wouldn't be commenting too much on student turnout at other schools.

• Upvote 1

This is really pathetic - if Football can't pull it's own weight there is something seriously wrong

Horrible idea. Sure it'll get a couple butts in seats but it devalues football and makes it seem like a joke.

• Upvote 1

Johnny, I was at the FU game last weekend and your student turnout is nothing to take a lot of pride in. Not many students in the top half of the section and none in the endzones. I wouldn't be commenting too much on student turnout at other schools.

Last weekend was not very good. Though compared to UND.....very much to be proud of. Probably only about 3,000 tops. We make noise however. And the early season beatdowns did nothing to add to the student section. SDSU game should be pretty rocking. Playoffs should be very impressive if we are once again at home.

This is really pathetic - if Football can't pull it's own weight there is something seriously wrong

Thank you.

Last weekend was not very good. Though compared to UND.....very much to be proud of. Probably only about 3,000 tops. We make noise however. And the early season beatdowns did nothing to add to the student section. SDSU game should be pretty rocking. Playoffs should be very impressive if we are once again at home.

Thank you.

FU gives out 6,000 student tickets? I was only using my eyes but you'll have to try pretty hard to convince me the student sections were half full.

FU gives out 6,000 student tickets? I was only using my eyes but you'll have to try pretty hard to convince me the student sections were half full.

gives out 3,800 I believe. Easily over half considering 2,000 were claimed Monday, I imagine AT MOST another 1,000 were claimed, probably fewer. Also, people cram into the lower section, maybe an extra hundred at the most(aisle areas and filling in rows so people can't sit). If people are sitting in the endzone area, that is a pretty good sign that more than half of the section is full.

Get back on topic homer.